Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41042 times)

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2010, 03:01:58 pm »

Not that such things can be accurately measured with such tests but:
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

Emotions should be irrelevant in 99% of decision making if you ask me -__- I know they aren't, but it is still what we should aspire to.

Also the last few questions were all clearly hard-core conservative views, "Burn the gays and bring back religion to schools" bullshit. Someone could easily recognise it and self-censor, defeating the self-censor point presented about the earlier loaded questions -,,,-
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:00:18 pm by TheDarkJay »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 04:05:33 pm »

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

Seriously, I'm dead center for these graphs.

Funny, isn't it?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »

Economic Left/Right: 9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.36

Would not be surprised if I am the most "conservative" person in the community.

EDIT: My sister just took the test. She got Economic 7.75, Social 0.46.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:29:42 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »

Economic Left/Right: 9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.36

Would not be surprised if I am the most "conservative" person in the community.

EDIT: My sister just took the test. She got Economic 7.75, Social 0.46.
What!

I couldn't even get that far right when I was answering from an Arch Conservative viewpoint :/.  Eh, I guess I just suck at knowing political alignments.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »

Maybe you don't actually know what the arch-conservative viewpoint is very well.  When I really tried for Hitler-esque right-wing, I got 10.0 Right and 8.2 Authoritarian
Shoes...

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2010, 06:16:56 pm »

Anyway, the questionaire was odd. For example, it asked me about abortion

This is the fundamental problem with the test: pointless questions or badly-formulated questions that indicate a lack of understanding of the underlying issues.

Abortion is a "hot button issue", not a political indicator.  People who believe in it think it's a medical decision and people who think it's wrong consider it infanticide.  It's not really an ideological issue but an issue of where one believes human life begins.  Even the most libertarian Libertarian would be against infanticide, and rare would be the authoritarian who would object to elective surgery for the removal of a benign tumor.  Does it have anything to do with political ideology?  I don't think so.

And spanking children is "authoritarian"?  Bullshit.  Not letting your kids play violent video games or eat junk food or play Dungeons and Dragons or watch R-rated movies is way more authoritarian than the specific nature of punishment being corporal when a rule is actually broken.

The death penalty is "authoritarian"?  Compared to what?  Life in prison?  Why?  (Giving serial killers parole would be very libertarian, but not even Libertarians want that.)  Where one comes down on "Three Strikes" laws is way more indicative of one's authoritarianism than the death penalty.
More revealing still is one's stand on "victimless crimes" and "sin taxes" in such areas as prostitution, drugs, gambling, trans fats, cigarettes, off-label prescription drugs, financial services, manicure / pedicure licensing, etc.
What happens to serial killers is going to be very bad for the killer and very good for the rest of society, whatever specific mode of segregation of the former from the latter is employed, and it really has almost nothing to do with political ideology compared to a lot of other much more important ideas.

Lastly there's foreign policy, which is too complicated to put on the graph with everything else.  Walter Russel Meade has his own 4-axis graph for dealing with this issue and it's still an oversimplification.

But even if you do think foreign policy opinions belong on this graph as an indicator of ideology (and for Transnational Progressives you'd have a point), the quiz author's questions are pure nonsense:

Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified.
This scores support for "international law" as "libertarian".
Question: Does the fact that the action is military make it authoritarian, or the fact that it defies international law?
If the former, is it never authoritarian to support international military operations?  If the nature of the military action is what makes it authoritarian doesn't that make the mention of "international law" in this context a red herring?
If the latter, how is it libertarian to endorse centralized rule by distant authority over home rule by local authority?
What about America's defiance of "international law" against U.N. censorship of religious speech?  Does the stately imprimatur of "international law" magically transform censorship from authoritarian to libertarian?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:55 pm »

Giving serial killers parole would be very libertarian, but not even Libertarians want that

I would disagree on it being very libertarian, libertarians, at least those that believe in only negative liberty, would say the killer has violated another's liberty or rights and sacrificed their own.  Most libertarians don't oppose enforcing and protecting those natural rights, so the question of military becomes an iffy one.  How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?  All this test really proves is there's a million different positions out there that shouldn't be simplified on some little graph.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?
I'll have you know I fully support a time travelling anti-Hitler squad.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:37 pm »

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks traveling back in time to kill Hitler is a really fuckin' bad idea.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?
I'll have you know I fully support a time travelling anti-Hitler squad.

Don't you know, Hitler is except from all time travel-based attacks. It was received as a part of a deal with the devil in exchange for two pieces of silver, a rubber chicken, the heart of a dolphin, the brain of a pigeon and a lump of cheese. With these materials, the devil not only managed to kill Santa, but completely removed him from existence. However, he could not remove Santa from the mind of a small child known only a Tattybojangles, who spread the word of Santa's heroic fight against the devil, known as the War of a Thousand Gnomes.

And that children, is why we celebrate Christmas.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:14:04 pm by TheDarkJay »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:24 pm »

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks traveling back in time to kill Hitler is a really fuckin' bad idea.

Me too.

Not that it would've had a serious impact, really. I just kind of wish the KPD would have gained power instead of the NSDAP.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »

Why? We could just kill every problem we run into becuase of it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

Giving serial killers parole would be very libertarian, but not even Libertarians want that

I would disagree on it being very libertarian, libertarians, at least those that believe in only negative liberty, would say the killer has violated another's liberty or rights and sacrificed their own.  Most libertarians don't oppose enforcing and protecting those natural rights, so the question of military becomes an iffy one.  How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?  All this test really proves is there's a million different positions out there that shouldn't be simplified on some little graph.
Wow... Libertarians would want to free killers?

I think he's confusing Libertarians with Anarchists.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

That's because every attempt fails. I know this because it's on TV, and everything on TV is true.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26