Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Design Ideas.  (Read 1554 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Design Ideas.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 07:48:54 pm »

This sounds like a good idea, especially if you put the magma falls near the slums.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »

Super bonus points for using magma instead of water for a Venetian fort.

Using a pump and drain for flowing water would be awesome as well.
Just pictured this in my head. I think I know how it'd work for sure with a 1-wide canal, but not much else. ;_;

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 08:03:07 pm »

Someday I hope to actually visit Venice.  The Venetians were my first faction In Medieval 2(on a related note, I HATE Milan), seeing it in Assassin's Creed was great, and I just read a book that took place there.  A fortress even loosely based on the idea of a city with canals everywhere would be awesome to me.  I also have some suggestions beyond just saying I love the idea.

As an aesthetic choice, I think the fields should be outside the city proper.  I really thing that, if possible, this should be built above ground, but the biggest issue with that is how much stone you have to bring up.  A large quarry with ramps leading into it would look somewhat authentic, and could provide a lot of stone.  There should be palaces for nobles who require several rooms, and ideally you would make these out of their favorite minerals when possible.   And since you mentioned it was an issue(although I believe you came up with a solution yourself), you could just make the massive front gate into a barracks as well.  I'm not sure how I feel about the multi-tiered city, but it would definitely be interesting.

Now I really want to make an above ground city.  Of course, I'd have to have a cloth-exporting industry because every single stone would be used to make blocks so exporting crafts is out of the question.  Furniture can be metal for all I care!  It's probably better that way actually.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:29 pm »

It'd need to be in a swampy biome simply because Venice was originally inaccessible by foot.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:09:51 pm »

Venice?
I am smelling a really, really awesome succession fort. Especially with the waterfall idea. That's brilliant.

Were do I sign up?!?!?!?!?!?!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »

I think if I was going to do numerous levels of canals I would start with a pump stack up from the magma ocean that output into a shaft all the way back down. The canals would be filled through a diagonal but I would have a flood gate that could be triggered by a lever somewhere that would open a straight pressure path for the stuff. Mostly this would be so that gremlins were taken very seriously but I could potentially use it as a panic button when some (mostly)unkillable beast got near the canals.

A few floors of that up I would switch off to water though. Sort of to maintain the nature of the cavern layers. Also relying on the same method of flood prevention/initiation.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »

What I'd do would be make two levers. One would shut new water from getting in, the other would stop water from getting out. The water's pressurized, so doing pretty much any sort of water moving downward will cause flooding.
Pages: 1 [2]