Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh, volcano!  (Read 1341 times)

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh, volcano!
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:29:10 pm »

I just used embark anywhere to start a fortress on a volcano.  It's probably the shearest cliff map I've ever seen, with a good 66 levels between the caldera, and the brook that I eventually need to pipe water up from.  But here's the awesome thing:  I just got an announcement informing me that I had discovered a "great magma sea", as well as some HFS (floating, unfortunately, in the great magma sea- which means that the outer layers will be inaccessible due to tons of magma).  When I zoomed to the sea... it was 238 z levels down.  Oh yeah.  That's deep.

What do y'all think I should do with this wonderful discovery?  Is semi-molten rock safe?  Has anyone else played with one of these yet?

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, volcano!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »

What do y'all think I should do with this wonderful discovery?  Is semi-molten rock safe?  Has anyone else played with one of these yet?
At 238+ z levels I would need a new computer.  Mine can't handle magma power of that magnitude.  That said, I think semi-molten rock is safe.  As for getting to the HFS, you'll probably have to pump like a crazy bastard and wall things off so you can get to it.  Me... I wouldn't waste the time.  Steel and that one Bronze material are pretty good for axes and such.  Instead, I'm wasting my time designing a dwarven computer.  :D
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:19:31 am »

Semi-Molten rock is unique. You cannot dig through it or interact in any way, and it won't move or burn you. It otherwise functions like a wall. Of course, its formation isn't predictable, so it might give way to actual Magma a level down from where you're digging.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:23:06 am »

I suggest you wash out the magma with water, pop open HFS, apply magma, then apply more water. Bound to solve any/all issues with demons or undead. Possibly even forgotten beasts if they like to swim in magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:38:27 am »

Volcanoes are epic in this version. The ones I've genned actually probably look like volcanos if I'd put them into a 3d dwarf visualizer program They might not have gems for you to dig out until you hit the layers under where the volcano starts though like my fort in 30.01. That just means you have to dig an extra 100z levels before you hit gems, which is cool in my opinion and would be a fair side affect of starting on a volcano considering you have a sweet map and easily accessible magma from it. I'd recommend trying making the highest point on a volcano map your main entrance, it's sweet. You'll need hotkeys to zoom to important spots.

Also, the hill is so steep in most places that the wagon will not have enough room to spawn and your stuff will be scattered everywhere on the hillside. Sometimes it finds a spot to put it and sometimes not.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:22:30 am »

Can anyone confirm or deny that volcanoes erupt in this version? because that would be epic.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:25 am »

no

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:08 am »

Eh, a dwarf can wish.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

you could make it do it with some levers hooked to some flood gates around the top of the magma pool

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:34:20 am »

Here's what I would do:

1) Dig underground and establish a fortress.
2) Wall around your entrance to create a little island.
3) Channel all around the caldera, causing the magma to spill out.
4) Have a map completely covered in lava with Dwarves living under it!  8)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:05:39 am »

You can make hotkeys for looking at certain places???

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:40:03 am »

The "h" key brings up the hotkey menu. You can assign function keys (F1-F8, and Shfit-F1 to Shift-F8, I believe) to specific places, and you can give each place a short name to help you remember what the place is.

I usually just place hotkeys at the most "important" places around my fort (entrance, workshops, storage, cavern entrance, etc.) and every once in a while I cycle through them to see what's going on.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »

My current plan is to finish up my topside living areas.  At present, I have all iron doors, and am providing copper chests for my dwarven apartments.  Eventually, they'll all get cabinets, too.

Once my dwarves are comfortable up top, the real work will begin. I'm gonna tunnel down to the magma sea and dig out a new and glorious abode in the deep- with plenty of magma pools for my dwarves to appreciate, and maybe even a magma waterfall (assuming magma seas work like oceans- i.e., absorb any magma poured into them).  Hopefully I'll be able to locate some flux on the way, or import some, and can provide them with steel goods.  I'll then relocate my dwarves, and possibly flood the topside fortress with magma (that, or turn it into a labyrinth of traps). 

Water is a problem for the top, though... right now, I have a pond being slowly filled by bucket, which I intend to make some mud with, for farming.  Actually pumping water up that many z-levels could be a major undertaking, unless the u-bend bug still works, in which case I'll just have a pressurized water system.

For the lower levels, water should be a breeze.  Gravity will do most of my work for me.