Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No dwarven caravan?  (Read 6842 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No dwarven caravan?
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »

I haven't received a dwarven (or human, for that matter) caravan at all in my current fortress.  I'm two years in, so I'm pretty sure it's not coming.  I got a small immigration wave right at the beginning but nothing since then (This makes sense, since there has been no caravan!)

Does this mean my parent civilization is extinct?   The dwarf civ shows up on my civ screen, but has no leaders.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No dwarven caravan?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »

Does this mean my parent civilization is extinct?   
Yes.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »

Almost certainly. It also means that the elves or goblins destroyed the dwarfs, and you must get revenge on them both.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:48:22 pm »

Indeed, backing up the game and checking legends confirms that the dwarves were wiped out somewhere between 360 and 370.  The worldgen lasted until 1050, so it's been a while. 

Almost certainly. It also means that the elves or goblins destroyed the dwarfs, and you must get revenge on them both.

The legends screen showed no conflict with the neighboring elves.  In fact, there was no mention of the civilization disappearing at all.  However, when I looked up the significant figures, they were all killed by giants.  I assume that the constant giant raids got them all.

I've always wanted to try a fortress without immigrants, so this is my chance I guess.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

Then it is your sworn duty to destroy the giants, goblins and elves.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:58:49 pm »

Indeed, backing up the game and checking legends confirms that the dwarves were wiped out somewhere between 360 and 370.  The worldgen lasted until 1050, so it's been a while. 

The legends screen showed no conflict with the neighboring elves.  In fact, there was no mention of the civilization disappearing at all.  However, when I looked up the significant figures, they were all killed by giants.  I assume that the constant giant raids got them all...

The same thing happened to one of my worlds a while back, except with Ettins.
I took 3 or four humans with me in adventure mode and wiped them all out in the space of a day.
makes me wonder what was wrong with those dwarves.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:41:06 pm »

I just got a human caravan now 0.o

I wonder what the delay was.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:51 am »

They got tired of waiting for you to kill the giants/goblins/elves/cats and so thought if they traded with you it would speed things up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:31 am »

You probably just now met their wealth requirement.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:10:52 pm »

Can I please have a save of this world if you have the time?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

Here it is.

There is one abandoned fortress, but otherwise the world is pristine.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:55 am »

This notion of exterminating elves is an idea whose time is past. Clearly the correct course of action here is to use the elves to assemble a massive army of war bears to annihilate the giants with.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:58 am »

I've been playing around with specific parameters and I thought, "Hey, let's crank up the number of Titans and raise the starting number of civs too". Bad idea, I've genned four worlds and NONE have any civilization to speak of. No dwarves, no humans, no elves or gobbos... I'm starting to feel lonely although it's got a nice apocalyptic feel to it. Too bad I'll probably never get a DM or any of the other nobles.

Edit: Lowered the titan number considerably and STILL no-one is left alive. What the hell. How DO I get sentient civilizations to survive a 1000 years? Wimpy creatures, all of them. It makes me want to churn out a bronze collosi civ.

Edit 2: I think the number of cave you allow is also a deciding factor for survival of any species. I had started with generating worlds with a maximum amount of caves so I could easily go to the caverns as an adventurer. Lowering the amount seems to give me more chance of having humans and dwarves survive a 1000 years. No elves though. Retrying with even less caves...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:32:37 am by analog »
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:28 am »

Here's a tip:  If your civs keep dying out, try cranking their starting populations.  Instead of 10 starting dwarves, give them 100 or 1000.  It seems to help a lot, but YMMV.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:28 am »

Here's a tip:  If your civs keep dying out, try cranking their starting populations.  Instead of 10 starting dwarves, give them 100 or 1000.  It seems to help a lot, but YMMV.

What option are you talking about exactly? I see an option "Population cap after civ creation"' which is already at 20000 so I don't think that's the problem.
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.
Pages: [1] 2