Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seperate seed and harvest stocks  (Read 763 times)

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seperate seed and harvest stocks
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »

It would be a lot easier if I could keep all of my seed barrels right next to my farms instead of my growers having to go to the dining room to get seeds. Also, a harvest pile where farmers would put their harvested crops for haulers to take down to permanent food stores. The harvest pile would not use barrels (use cats, maybe you could train cats at the kennel and you could assign them to curtain stocks?) because this would cause half full barrels to be moved all over the place.

On the note of farming it would be a lot better if farmers would prioritize harvesting crops over planting seeds as a labor option.

Edit: Wrong section, woo tabs.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seperate seed and harvest stocks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »

Custom Stockpiles make this surprisingly simple. :D

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

Yes - you can customize a stockpile by assigning it as "Food", press Q, then change the [ s]ettings for it. [ b]lock everything except for Seeds (just select it and hit Enter).
Do the reverse for harvested goods stockpile.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:47 pm »

Yes - you can customize a stockpile by assigning it as "Food", press Q, then change the [ s]ettings for it. [ b]lock everything except for Seeds (just select it and hit Enter).
Do the reverse for harvested goods stockpile.

Oh, thanks. I was looking in the custom stockpile of the piles menu.

Is there a way to get my farmers to harvest first and plant second?

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

It would be a lot easier if I could keep all of my seed barrels right next to my farms instead of my growers having to go to the dining room to get seeds.

I also enable Potash on my seeds stockpile.  Since I use that crematorium mod, I have no vermin remains and tons of ash, so cats are actually useful for farming in my fortresses.

Once Toady fixes the "take from stockpile" bug, we'll be able to prioritize stockpiles again.  Until then, setting take from stockpile on a stockpile causes dorfs to waste time.

I do agree that it would be nice for harvesting to occur before planting more seeds.
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »

How would I go about setting that up when he does fix it? Do I use [t]ake from pile and then place it one the pile of my dining room? Will this result in my haulers always taking food from this pile and to the other? I'd obviously have to disable hauling on my growers to stop them from doing that.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:02 am »

Take from stockpile works like this:

Go to building menu [q] for stockpile 1
Press [t]ake from stockpile
Move the yellow 'X' cursor over stockpile 2 and press enter

Now whenever stockpile 2 contains an item that could be stored in stockpile 1, a hauler will come and move it over there. In your example, stockpile 1 would be your seed stockpile and stockpile 2 would be a general food pile near the dining room or kitchen. So long as you set up stockpile 1 to only have seeds, you won't have haulers making useless trips. Even better is to set it to only hold certain types of seed, so if you only grow underground crops it doesn't get filled up with overground seeds from traded/herbalised plants, etc.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:37:36 am »

I can really recommend specialized stockpiles. Generic stockpiles and farming tend to be a bad idea. The stockpile will fill up with plump helmets in no time at all, and if you're not careful you can end up with 0 seeds.

I start out with 4 stockpiles:
1. Seeds only, near my farm
2. Plants only, a 3x11 stockpile that store harvested plants
3. Beer / wine / ale, 4x11 stockpile that store the drinks I made
4. Cooked food: 4x11 stockpile that only stores the lavish meals I created.

Later I add special stockpiles for meat products and flour. I also tend to move from pure plump helmets to cave wheat because you can't cook only liquids anymore. Separating plants from your regular stockpiles is a must because a single 5x5 plump helmet farm tends to generate craploads of plants when your farmer starts to get good at what he does.

Also: when you get a livestock farm set up you'll have more meat than you'll ever use. A single horde can feed a 100 dwarf fort for a year it seems.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:35 am »

Similar to my system.
I have:
1. Underground seeds stockpile next to my underground farm
2. Overground seeds stockpile next to my surface farm, if I  have one
3. Booze  production stockpile, all types of plants (over as well as underground) I want to turn to booze, next to my stills
4. Other plants stockpile, contains all plants that need farmers workshop or quern, next tosaid workshops
5. Raw fish stockpile, next to fishery works
6. Booze stockpile, above my main meeting hall
7. Food stockpile, only completed meals, also above my meeting hall