Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flooding the circus? [Spoilers]  (Read 5120 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding the circus? [Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »

Um, what I meant was, dump magma, dump water, over and over, eventually sealing over
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and making the dwarfiverse safe again.
Theoretically, that might be possible.  It would be highly impractical, of course, but in Dwarf Fortress that's just the sign of a great plan.  Of course, you wouldn't be able to do anything about the area beyond your own embark site.
I mostly just want to be able to conquer
Good luck with that.
The
don't just spawn in thin air, do they? I thought if I just sealed up all the
s and over the
, then I'd be fine.
That will work.  I thought you'd been planning to conquer the whole damn thing, wipe out all demonkind, et cetera.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »

Um, what I meant was, dump magma, dump water, over and over, eventually sealing over
and making the dwarfiverse safe again.
Theoretically, that might be possible.  It would be highly impractical, of course, but in Dwarf Fortress that's just the sign of a great plan.  Of course, you wouldn't be able to do anything about the area beyond your own embark site.
I mostly just want to be able to conquer
Good luck with that.
The
don't just spawn in thin air, do they? I thought if I just sealed up all the
s and over the
, then I'd be fine.
That will work.  I thought you'd been planning to conquer the whole damn thing, wipe out all demonkind, et cetera.
Oh, psh, don't be silly, that would be impossible.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 09:01:56 pm »

I am currently on a map where the magma sea is naturally scrambled together with the top of the circus tent.  The magma sea is draining into the tent, and to my eye it is losing the battle.  The clowns are flying all over the place, even in magma, even ones named "Snow Whatevers".  None of them are dying, at least according to the units list.  *sigh*
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »

I am currently on a map where the magma sea is naturally scrambled together with the top of the circus tent.  The magma sea is draining into the tent, and to my eye it is losing the battle.  The clowns are flying all over the place, even in magma, even ones named "Snow Whatevers".  None of them are dying, at least according to the units list.  *sigh*
If one of them dies, another respawns, and I don't think melted corpses appear in the unit list. >_>

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

But they never show any wounds, either, standing in 4/7 magma.

My poor Dwarves are totally dispirited.  Their two artifacts to date are a rope reed dress and a maple cup.  In this fortress I made the best irrigated farming setup I've ever had, and only used underground crops.  These Dwarves have had nothing but Dwarven food and drink.  The rope reed cloth was because my tailor went moody before the pig tail crop was ready to harvest, and the Elven caravan happened to be in the depot.  I decided to save the tailor's life at a slight cost to Dwarfyness.  I bought two threads, and that wasn't enough cloth, so I bought a third thread and that did it.  I guess I'm lucky that neither one wanted body parts, because the slaughterhouse isn't set up yet.  Still, a plant fabric dress and a wooden cup?  Do they somehow know they are doomed to live forever apart from magma?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:41 am »

On a semi-related note, would it be possible to drop a pillar of natural rock into the tent? Main question being if it can be done thought the sea, or if I have to go with Funium tubes
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 01:03:35 am »

On a semi-related note, would it be possible to drop a pillar of natural rock into the tent? Main question being if it can be done thought the sea, or if I have to go with Funium tubes

Can you channel out underneath a support?  Because, if so, yes, yes you can.

How are the bottomless pits scattered around on the map?  Any rhyme or reason to it or is it completely randomized?

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:59:45 am »

Can you channel out underneath a support?  Because, if so, yes, yes you can.

How are the bottomless pits scattered around on the map?  Any rhyme or reason to it or is it completely randomized?
I'd imagine it would be random in shape but at the same time be on a lower slope of the terrain, I only have had a few minutes to gaze at the tent before my game crashed for some odd reason. I was just going to try and drop the stone pillar down into the magma tube I have a la Fire Temple OoT style and hope for the best. :D
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.
Pages: 1 [2]