Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you put your trade depot inside or outside?  (Read 7602 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you put your trade depot inside or outside?
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:17 pm »

This is just a bit of idle curiosity on my part... Do you usually build your trade depot on the inside or on the outside? Why?

I realize both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. I personally prefer building it inside, because it seems safer and... well, more dwarflike! Plus it's fun to build and secure a wide path to your fortress.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you put your trade depot inside or outside?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:29:59 pm »

Depends. If I'm going to be cleaning the depot while the merchants are there, I'll typically build several huts on the surface for multiple depots. They go in, I close the floodgates, and give them a bath. If I'm just stealing from them via deconstruction, I build it next to a hole on the surface for quick dumping to the underground. If I'm actually dealing with them, nice secured engraved depot underground.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:52:12 pm »

In the first year or two I usually just stick one outside.

Once I start getting big(ger) goblin sieges, I shift it inside. Doesn't help much if the gobbos hit the traders before they reach the depot, but at least it means I don't have to rush all my dwarves back inside.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:59:57 pm »

Inside near my stockpile of trade goods, with a ramp pathway, protected by channeled drawbridges

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »

I pretty much always create an airlock trade depot.  If I want to fight goblins, I'll do it on my own terms.

With my recent .31.03 forts, I've made a tunnel heading down into the depot area, crossing a bridge over underground pool or chasm to the depot, with another bridge to be able to seal them off.  It seems to work so far. ^^ I'll probably refine the design more in later forts, not satisfied with the tunnel I currently have since it's pretty simple and I wanted something akin to that one 40d fort someone made where they had running water from the brook all the way down.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:04:57 pm »

Usually a little way inside, in a room off to the side from the main corridor. Latest one's up on the surface (first fort where I haven't had a hillside to dig into, and I didn't bother making ramps down), but still inside the walls.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 02:23:53 pm »

Usually inside, in a sizable chamber right before the passage that leads down in to the fort.  Usually the entrance-guards' barracks is built next to it to keep away kobolds and rhesus macaques as well as other intruders.

It also keeps it indoors so that cave-adapted dwarves don't get unhappy thoughts hauling things to the depot.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »

I always build it inside, behind all of my defenses so that the caravans are actually safe.

I hate cleaning up all of the mess from ambushed caravans.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:42:06 pm »

Usually inside/behind the walls to give my dwarves some form of security. I also plan on arming the walls of my latest fortress with magma cannons to deal with sieges/people I don't like.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:46:51 pm »

inside my wall, but outside my actual fort
that way, if there is a magma overflow, it wont torch all my dwarves
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »

Both. My favourite depot back in 40d was a square room under an artificial lava lake, with a roof made entirely of magma-safe bridges. When I wanted to trade, I just raised the bridges and turned on a row of pumps to open a Moses-like path through the magma to the depot. Just like the one that appeared on that thread a few weeks ago.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »

Normally, inside and underground, and heavily defended. Lately though, I've been experimenting with surface depots protected by moats and walls. Tends to look like a medieval courtyard, with the depot near surface stockpiles and stockpiles 1 z below, and fisherys, butchers, and tanners out in the warm miasma-dispersing sun. I think next fort will be built along these lines with entirely magma safe materials, for reasons completely unrelated to horrifying deathtraps. Trust me.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 04:21:47 pm »

Inside depots are easier to drown and the dwarfs don't have to go outside to collect the spoils. And if I decide to be merciful, the merchant guards stand between enemies and the fort. Let them die first. I can always use the extra armor from their corpses.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »

As a caravan approaches my fortress, he passes through a long tunnel, with trenches on either side. The walls are fortifications, and the depot is just beyond the bend right at the ballista.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 04:47:03 pm »

Outside in a courtyard like area. Easy to defend, plus it puts those guards between my fort and the enemy.
Pages: [1] 2