Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baron 40d vs. DF2010  (Read 3841 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron 40d vs. DF2010
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:53 am »

Toady said this about 40d about getting a baron

You also need to do a variety of different jobs in the previous year (and have the caravan survive) to trigger the baron. 4 of the following: 25 crafting jobs, 25 metal-related jobs, 25 wood-related jobs, 10 gem jobs, 25 stone jobs, 25 food jobs. That shouldn't be a problem if you are just doing a few things, but if your fort is completely directed toward one activity or another, it won't qualify. - Toady One

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6882.msg81183#msg81183

Is this still true?  I've played a game and had 90+ dwarves and millions imported/exported and still haven't gotten a baron.  Ideas?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baron 40d vs. DF2010
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »

It doesn't matter if you're richer than Bill Gates and have more people than Germany, you probably need to do the jobs still.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »

Is your liason alive? Barons are appointed now, they don't immigrate. A known bug is that liasons are not replaced upon death, so you may just be screwed.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:22:32 pm »

Is your liason alive? Barons are appointed now, they don't immigrate. A known bug is that liasons are not replaced upon death, so you may just be screwed.

Actually, at least on occasion, liaisons will regenerate now.  I've seen it happen once so far, but I can't recall if my other fort where my liaison died survived long enough to get another caravan visit.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »

Actually, at least on occasion, liaisons will regenerate now.  I've seen it happen once so far, but I can't recall if my other fort where my liaison died survived long enough to get another caravan visit.

I suspect its a worldgen issue. If they die during worldgen, they don't get replaced. Same for other important civ positions. At least, in my personal experience missing liasons are not replaced, and the single fort that suffered a liason death in person didn't last until the next caravan for related reasons.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

I suspect its a worldgen issue. If they die during worldgen, they don't get replaced. Same for other important civ positions. At least, in my personal experience missing liasons are not replaced, and the single fort that suffered a liason death in person didn't last until the next caravan for related reasons.

That just doesn't make sense.  They have to be replaced during Worldgen, or else they wouldn't exist by the year 1050. 
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »

I have a living liaison and I have never had a Baron. Whatever those jobs are, I'm obviously not doing them. Time to play around with odd orders at the workshops.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:58 pm »

That just doesn't make sense.  They have to be replaced during Worldgen, or else they wouldn't exist by the year 1050.

That would be the bug. I've traded with plenty o' civs who had nobody else in the government besides the ruler, Legends mode revealing that they had died long ago.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:15:23 am »

That would be the bug. I've traded with plenty o' civs who had nobody else in the government besides the ruler, Legends mode revealing that they had died long ago.

But there are in fact Dwarven liaisokns in the year 1050.  1068, even.  I know.  I just saw them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:14:42 pm »

But there are in fact Dwarven liaisokns in the year 1050.  1068, even.  I know.  I just saw them.

><

The point I'm making is that although your liasons are alive and happy, doesn't mean that the OP's are. Until we hear back from him, we don't know whether its a bug, or some random job he's not doing, or what have you.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »

...Time to play around with odd orders at the workshops.

This is your problem. As I recall, those jobs MUST be queued from the job manager.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

><

The point I'm making is that although your liasons are alive and happy, doesn't mean that the OP's are. Until we hear back from him, we don't know whether its a bug, or some random job he's not doing, or what have you.

And the point I'm making is that you don't know what the relevant bug is, if it persists!

The bug that WOULD be relevant with regard to liaisons is that if they die IN FORTRESS MODE, they will not be replaced.  Which I pointed out isn't ABSOLUTELY true anymore, and at the very least it's POSSIBLE for liaisons to be replaced in Fortress mode.  And you replied by saying that they wouldn't be replaced IN WORLD GEN, which I pointed out WOULD MAKE NO SENSE because LIASONS EXIST AFTER THEY WOULD HAVE DIED OF OLD AGE.

Yes, your point is an important one.  You are making a good point.  But you are making it as a retort to another good point which has very little to do with it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »

Quote from: PopeRichardCorey+Monk12
Involved discussion

In looking back at the beginning of the thread to see where this all began, I'm thinking that you thought I implied that liasons will never be replaced ever. This was not my intention. I heard OP's problem, and threw out a similar issue I experienced along with the eventual root cause in case it ends up being a similar situation. I'm not saying that everyone experiences this bug, I'm just saying that in my personal experience, important figures such as liasons and diplomats who die are not replaced, and so never visit your fortress at all. In my case they died during world gen, in others they died during play.

The bug report is below, please share your own experiences there. Now, I'll either wait for the OP to respond, or assume he figured it out on his own and let the thread die.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1102

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:26:18 pm »

Hey guys, new fortress, have done several, and have never gotten a baron.  I have a HUGE amount of money, and I believe I do all the jobs all the time (also have roads).  Nothings happened.

Advice?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 04:16:41 am »

...Time to play around with odd orders at the workshops.

This is your problem. As I recall, those jobs MUST be queued from the job manager.

I can offer anecdotal evidence that this is not true at all.  I never use the job manager, and I've had a baron appointed in DF2010 with no problems.  It actually caught me by surprise and I didn't check my dorfs for reasonable preferences, so I ended up choosing a baron that banned export of platinum and mandated harps all the damn time.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2