Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caged foo-men  (Read 1548 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged foo-men
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:16:19 am »

I acquired a caged tiger man from the elves, and had him sitting in my animal stockpile for a while when I got a message saying he died of thirst. I thought caged things don't need food/water? If I had let him roam, would he feed himself? Would he be useful?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Caged foo-men
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:18:50 am »

Well yes, he DID need food and drink, but ah well.
As fr being useful, na, he would only pull levers. UNLESS you want to make him a noble, then he can for fill that role so that you don't need to have another dwarf do it, and I have heard that they don't make mandates, but yet to be confirmed.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:00 am »

Huh, so I could make a tiger man bookkeeper? Would free up a dwarf for more useful labors...

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38:15 am »

Tigermen will not perform tasks, aside from pulling levers, but they will eat your food. They wont drink your booze, but will drink from brooks or rivers. They starve/die of thirst in cages and don't need a dungeon master to reproduce so you can very quickly end up with fifty or so in your fort. they can be slaughtered, but that is the one thing I'm not 100% sure of. They had the slaughter y/n option, but I never used it.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:13 am »

A good thing to note is that, like all friendlies, they will fight in sieges. However, since they can't be enlisted into your military, you can't tell them where to go or what weapons to use. If they go into battle at all, they'll go unarmed.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:58:11 am »

If they have [CAN_SPEAK], I think you won't be able to eat them or use their corpses if you butcher them. They'll go to the graveyard if you designated one instead.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »

You might not be able to make them do regular works...
but it seems like you can put them into nobles positions.

If you look into your nobles screen and search  for someone to  fill a position,
your tigermen will appear in the list as well as your dwarves

(dunno if they can also take over elected nobles positions however...
would be a practical thing...if your tigerman mayor makes impossible demands/mandates
just mark him for slaughter :D )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:23:30 pm by Proteus »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »

Hmm... If you make them a Militia Commander or Captain, would they fight in your army, and could you equip them with weapons?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:49:49 am »

It'd be nice to note that they have a body size twice that of a dwarf, and 4 times that of a dog, this makes them very powerful, but you will not be able to find or make armor for them, they can wield any weapon they choose though, if they choose (do they ever?)

I'd modify them to have the [TRAINABLE] tag so you can make them war animals and assign them to your dwarves. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

Would they pick up "large" armor? I think I read that people have seen things like dragons wearing large armor...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

Hi!

A word of warning, though. I am on a map that spawns wild elephants, (giant) tigers, and also tigermen, and the tame giant tigers I have bought from the elves have no problem making minced meat out of the tigermen (but then again, their main hobby is elephant hunting anyway (^_^;; ).

Deathworks

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:36:04 am »

Would they pick up "large" armor? I think I read that people have seen things like dragons wearing large armor...

No, And i don't think dragons come with armor either, I at least haven't seen them in armor except in the arena.

The only large armor you'll find in unmodified fortress mode will be human armor, and humans are still smaller than tigermen (70000 vs 120000), so they will not be able to find any armor for themselves at all.

and yeah, giant tigers/leopards/cheetahs are much bigger than tigermen, and come with the trainable tag by default. You should definitely try capturing and training them. At 400000 body size, they're bigger than most semi-megabeasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 03:57:05 pm »

No, And i don't think dragons come with armor either, I at least haven't seen them in armor except in the arena.

Ah, that must have been where I saw it mentioned.

And as for other beasts, the elves seem quite happy to bring them to me each spring, where they get a nice bath before being moved to their new home.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:26:29 pm »

You can put tigermen into noble positions, but they don't stay in them past dismissing the nobles screen :(

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »

Sounds like a bug that you're able to add them at all if that's the case.
Pages: [1] 2