Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater builder dwarves, is this possible in the lastest version?  (Read 1431 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com

People was talking a lot about making rapture before.

My take on it would be trying to make a "big daddy", a special bigger dwarf that can work under water, and a more slender nobel race that can't. The problem is that you can't build anything on space that have more than 1 unit of water. Is there a way around this?

The idea would be to build the entire fort under water, and later pump out the interiour.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater builder dwarves, is this possible in the lastest version?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:34:35 am »

pumps.. lots and lots of pumps.. pump out an area and build down..

It will take a long time.. but it is doable with an ungodly amount of pumps.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55:23 am »

Yeah, it's the ungodly amount of time i want to avoid, plus the fact that i want to be able to do emergancy repairs of flooded areas etc.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:51 am »

Would be awesome if someone could figure out how to enable constructs to be built in any depths of water from the z level above.  I've always wanted to sink pillions and supports into a river or ocean and, after building on top of each sinking structure, be able to have a true bridge with anchors running out over the water.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:05:43 pm »

Actually you can construct stuff underwater without pumps, it takes some cheating wits.
DFhack comes with a very useful tool called "flows", which allows you to spawn magma or water in any tile. With this you can wall off a drydock for your dwarves to work in, then let the water flood back (if you don't mind the walls of the drydock staying around). Maybe with some tinkering we could make a DFhack tool that allowed for removal of tiles, so one could deconstruct the drydock once the work is done.
Another way would be making a cube of obsidian underwater and then dig your fortress within it.  :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »

There's still the issue of path finding. Your "Big Daddy" dwarves won't path through water that's deeper then 5/7, no matter if they can swim or not. It's hardcoded.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »

you can circumvent underground construction by spawning obsidian walls with dfhack.

Tricsun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »

I'd be more interested in seeing something similar to the old Scuba suits (heavy cloth, big metal helmets) that can be made in game, though the not pathing into deep water would still be an issue.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:00:14 am »

Actually you can construct stuff underwater without pumps, it takes some cheating wits.
DFhack comes with a very useful tool called "flows", which allows you to spawn magma or water in any tile. With this you can wall off a drydock for your dwarves to work in, then let the water flood back (if you don't mind the walls of the drydock staying around). Maybe with some tinkering we could make a DFhack tool that allowed for removal of tiles, so one could deconstruct the drydock once the work is done.
Another way would be making a cube of obsidian underwater and then dig your fortress within it.  :D

When messing with fluids in DFHack, you'll get dead tiles. Tiles that you will not be able to successfully build in. This can wreak havoc on things, as you might imagine.

prinnyzombie

• Bay Watcher
  • like my horrible painting? yah its awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:53 am »

im not sure this is quite what youre looking for.  if i remember correctly tho - you can cavein natural rock and the natural rock wont deconstruct into its component parts cuz its not separated into parts yet.  So if you built a huge obsidian dam (by using magma and water to create obsidian) above the area of water you wanted the fort in - you could drop an obsidian wall into the water i think.  if you want a more clear example of caving in natural stone to do stuff - theres a guide on the wiki about how to go thro aquifers by damming them with natural stone caveins. 
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya/HowtoDualAquifer

hope that helps with your dreams of an underwater fort