Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants and total population.  (Read 444 times)

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants and total population.
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:15 am »

I've changed my population cap in the init.txt file from 40 to 80, but it's not taking effect, after at least two years of game time.

Do I have to wait longer, or has the game changed its behaviour in this area since '.40dX?

I did get migrants when my population dropped below the old cap of 40, but none since. :(

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Migrants and total population.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

I sincerely hope not. It's probably cheating to prevent immigration by reducing the pop cap while you play, but frankly, I should be allowed to decide, as Supreme God of my fortress, who gets to settle and who doesn't.

If Toady wants to keep us from popcap during play, then that's perfectly understandable, but then I hope some other sort of migrant control comes our way soon to replace it, like telling caravans that you don't want immigrants.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:15:18 am »

I just did a speedy test in my current fortress. I had 42 dwarves for the last year (capped at 40), after I changed the init, I received 19 migrants in the following spring. It still seems to work, but there might be something else. What are your current created wealth/exports? I have about 420k in created wealth and 50k in exports (about 30k to dwarves).

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:00:43 am »

There's also travel time involved (which is also why migrants can exceed your cap if you set it too late).
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.