Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Justice  (Read 1476 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Justice
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:21:18 am »

It's a bitch.

Those were Legendary Miners too.  No idea why they were flagged for Export violations as they were assigned to ONLY mine.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Justice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:37:54 am »

Because nobles are such a bunch of alcohol-addicted, hate-monging glutton with hardly an idea what items are related to what profession...Sometimes we have to get used to it...but if they began to do such thing too much...you know what to do ;)
Mostly what they punish for ignoring their mandates are roughly profession-related, but sometimes they just grab a random dwarf and send them to prison(which usually means starvation/dehydration in a busy fortress(at least in 40d)) or, sometimes, hammerer(Which is usually instant death or permanent disability, usually the first option if your hammerer is quite handy with his *Steel Warhammer*(40d too...)).
(If memery serves, nobles consider the hauler that hauls the forbidden item to the trade depot the culprit for violating export restrictions, that's why your miners got punished)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:41:33 am by NoctisVampire »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:49:46 am »

Hi!

Yes, the dwarf who hauled the item is the violator and gets punished. And you can't stop them from bringing items to the depot unless you keep them occupied otherwise - the hauling settings have no effect on depot hauling, I am afraid.

Deathworks

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:41 am »

Sigh, that sucks.  I really don't even remember violating any export restrictions. 

I have chains built for a prison (and assigned properly) but it seems that my Mayor is blood thirsty.  I don't even have a Hammerer/true Noble yet.  I don't get enough migrants to handle a steady population and lose about 10 dwarves between each migration wave to varying things (lost 4 now to Justice problems).

Anyhow, my mayor is absolutely blood thirsty.  He just had a Smith (luckily not a very talented one) cleaved in half for not making 2 crossbows.  My Mayor did meet an untimely demise shortly after that though.  Not of my doing, either.  He'd been walking around on two Yellow feet for a couple years now and then recently died of infection.  I like to think it's the ghost of the Smith getting retribution.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:58:21 am »

By 'infection' I assume you mean magma and by 'ghost of the smith' I assume you mean waterfall.
Maybe a blunt question, but does she have any reason to not trust you?
Yes, I'm sort of a serial cheater.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:03:27 am »

If by 'magma' you mean infection and by 'waterfall' you mean shit-I-made-up, then indeed!

Between the Megabeasts, Forgotten Beasts, sieges, ambushes, undead shit getting loose in the dining hall (it's painted red now), miscalculated flooding, rampant infection (despite best attempts to dump all miasma producing material), and other crap I've had to put up with in this fort, I need every dwarf I can get.  Don't judge!

It is Fun though.  Best fort I've ever had.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:18:19 am »

For the infection thing, I think you need soap and a source of fresh water... maybe cloth too? A dwarf with Wound Dressing enabled should wash the wound and apply a bandage.

For the restrains not being used - do you have a sheriff/captain of the guard and some dwarves assigned to the fortress guard (to do the arresting)?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:40 am »

A 100% reliable way to deal with dwarven justice in 40d was to:

a) never appoint a sheriff
b) mark the hammer of the hammerer for dumping, then melt it.
c) ignore the moronic mandates and nobody will ever get punished for anything.

Does this still work in the new version?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:31:09 pm »

Mod the hammer for the hammer into cheese or something.Or hand him a training one and laugh when your miner starts up a tantrum and kicks his ass with a pick.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »

Training hammers don't exist(nor maces) - as blunt weapons, the only way you could make them "training" weapons is to wrap them with something soft like cloth.

Question, though - how dangerous is the Hammerer in 0.31?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »

Odds are, not very...by all the accounts I've been reading the only truly lethal weapons are axes, swords and (sometimes) spears. Hammers/maces will break stuff, but it'll take a long-term concerted effort to kill someone...and even then...maybe not.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 07:14:45 pm »

I believe that Nobles AREN'T completely addled idiots who have no concept of what gets done.

Rather, they are fiendishly cunning.

For example, the blacksmith fails to make two gold statues. The farmer gets splattered. At first glance, it's nonsensical. But then the genius hits.

Killing the blacksmith means there will never be any more gold statues. So, they pick someone else. That person, completely innocent and unknowing of why they are being approached by the Hammerer, now has their life forfeited because the blacksmith didn't make gold statues.

The blacksmith now knows that because of his inaction, an innocent has died. They have very well committed murder. They must never fail again, or more lives will be lost, because of them.

On a less roleplaying level, it also works on the player. They're not punishing the crime, they're setting examples. If you don't make the nobles happy, they will slowly destroy your fort. You fail them, you get punished.

It's a wonderfully meta way of influencing the player.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

I believe that Nobles AREN'T completely addled idiots who have no concept of what gets done.

For example, the blacksmith fails to make two gold statues. The farmer gets splattered. At first glance, it's nonsensical. But then the genius hits.

Killing the blacksmith means there will never be any more gold statues. So, they pick someone else. That person, completely innocent and unknowing of why they are being approached by the Hammerer, now has their life forfeited because the blacksmith didn't make gold statues.

The blacksmith now knows that because of his inaction, an innocent has died. They have very well committed murder. They must never fail again, or more lives will be lost, because of them.

On a less roleplaying level, it also works on the player. They're not punishing the crime, they're setting examples. If you don't make the nobles happy, they will slowly destroy your fort. You fail them, you get punished.

That...makes sense. Oh crap, they're smart!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

Haven't had a for in the new version get a hammerer yet (bad luck with forts). But when I do, I think the best bet with the new weapon remodel, will be to gift my hammerer with a nice shiny adamantine hammer. From what I've heard, because it's so insanely light, it should do minimal damage.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »

That...makes sense. Oh crap, they're smart!

Except for the fact that they tend to end up causing the players to plan elaborate killing devices specially for them.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2