Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM  (Read 40980 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2010, 04:37:49 pm »

Yeah, my turn is probably going to be the last one. Downloading save now...
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »

Can't wait for the next succession to start up!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »

Yeah, my turn is probably going to be the last one. Downloading save now...

You can live Oglo! I survived in Sparkgear and you can live in slow-mo demon infested goldanguishes!
Fight the hell!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »

I just realized that the FPS issues started when the forgotten beast was walled in. If I had waited 30 seconds between ordering the beast untrapped and digging deeper, I could have possibly gotten rid of the FPS issues.

I think I may collect all the log entries and archive them as a posthumous Let's Play.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:02:24 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »

This fortress is completely devoid of hope. The main hall, or what I guess wass once supposed to be the main hall is drowned in clouds of miasma.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had originally hoped to salvage what I can - there's bound to be at least one pick somewhere around here and that's all a true dwarf needs - but none of the dwarves want to do anything anymore. They are standing in the hallway leading to the booze stockpile, their minds broken and fixed on the one thing there is that could give them hope: booze. Some of them stare at the chicken fiends and other unnatural monstrosities that stride freely across the hall now.
No one reacts to orders anymore. I don't know what to do. Here's the status screen:

Any hints? There's food laying around basically everywhere, the stairs leading to the lower levers have been sealed, the demons are almost all dead and all is generally looking pretty well, except for the fact that the dwarves just... refuse to do anything.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »

Suicide rush the demons near the booze stockpile?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2010, 05:36:38 pm »

I am currently attempting to suicide rush the demons near the booze stockpile. Some dwarves have, surprisingly, actually started to attack them, but most still linger around the entrance to the main hall. I can't see any burrows that would have their boundaries there. What is going on?

EDIT: We are down to 9 dwarves now.

EDIT: 8, two of them children and all (ALL) of them starving, dehydrated and very unhappy/miserable. The berserking metalcrafter is still alive.
Seriously, I can't even do anything. I'm just watching the dwarves die.

EDIT: 7.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:45:14 pm by Oglokoog »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2010, 05:48:46 pm »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »

Aaaand one more dies from thirst. The worst death I can imagine. Thirsty, yearning for a drop of cheap plump helmet wine, with the barrel right there - just a few steps...

EDIT: And another. Everyone who is alive is now in this area:

And there are four chicken fiends and a snow devil. I wanted to at least leave this fortress cleansed of the filth from the deep pits, but now even that seems like an empty dream. There is five of us now. The captain of the guard (how he managed to attain that title is beyond my comprehension) is fighting one of the chicken fiends and the foul beast isn't even fighting back. His fists are strong, but the devil just shrugs off anything our last hero, our last HOPE can throw at it. A child has just died.
The captain of the guard has succumbed to the terrible thirst that had tortured him in his last hours, the chicken fiend all but unscathed.
There are now four living dwarves in this fortress. A child, babbling nonsense under its sprouting beard, thirsty and starving. A leatherworker, whom I have ordered to attack the chicken fiends, but who seems to be a chicken himself. And lastly, our surgeon, who is walled in with the berserking metalcrafter. Even if she did win, which seems unlikely at this point, there is nobody to tear down the wall with which she was separated from the rest of the fortress.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:24:20 pm by Oglokoog »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »

I downloaded stonesense just so I could show you how it all looks right now. Zefon is the one fighting the metalcrafter. Then there is Rimtar the coward and Zon, a child. You can also see a whole lot of donkeys.

And Rimtar just died. The child closely followed. There are now two dwarves alive in this formerly sprawling underground complex - the berserk and the soldier tasked with subduing him. And they are both sure to die soon. I am going to watch to the end, if only for the morbid pleasure of seeing the last spark of life get extinguished.

EDIT: Ok I couldn't. I abandoned the fortress. If anyone can do a more fitting epilogue (anybody probably could), just download Imik's save. Maybe you can even figure out how to make all the dwarves do something.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:41:23 pm by Oglokoog »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »

This was great. I'm surprised, though - I walled in the surgeon and the metalcrafter specifically so that they would outlast the demons. I then realized that the demons could still probably bash down the forge. And the metalcrafter went berserk. So it's surprising to find out that those two were the last survivors.

How was your fps?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2010, 07:26:16 pm »

This was great. I'm surprised, though - I walled in the surgeon and the metalcrafter specifically so that they would outlast the demons. I then realized that the demons could still probably bash down the forge. And the metalcrafter went berserk. So it's surprising to find out that those two were the last survivors.

How was your fps?

Around fifteen, with almost no fluctuation.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2010, 07:38:01 pm »

Good job everybody. I'll take a look at the last save when I get a chance. I would be happy to play with all of you again.

Depending on how the new realease will be, after finals  I'll think about starting another game. I think the optimal location would be a 2x2, at least 1 being terrifying with a volcano and access to all the races.

Alternatively in my current game I'm playing on a 2x2 where all the races are dead in 100 years because there are 1000 titans and 1000 types of demons. Immigration shuts off after the first wave or two and no more dwarves arrive because that is literally all the surviving dwarves alive in the entire world.

I am not sure which is better for a sucession game; on the one hand I really hate immigrants and like to have a well organized fortress with a small number of highly personalized dwarves; on the other hand I really think we could make a great game by walling ourselves into a part of the earth and breaching hell leading to the surface while at war with the humans, elves, and goblins at the same time. (and being seiged at the time, kind of like a dwarven doomsday device)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »

How was your fps?

Around fifteen, with almost no fluctuation.

This entire fort, I have been defying convention. In the beginning, I froze in a magma channel. Then, at the end, I increased the framerate by opening up Hell.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:36 pm »

Good job everybody. I'll take a look at the last save when I get a chance. I would be happy to play with all of you again.

Depending on how the new realease will be, after finals  I'll think about starting another game. I think the optimal location would be a 2x2, at least 1 being terrifying with a volcano and access to all the races.

Alternatively in my current game I'm playing on a 2x2 where all the races are dead in 100 years because there are 1000 titans and 1000 types of demons. Immigration shuts off after the first wave or two and no more dwarves arrive because that is literally all the surviving dwarves alive in the entire world.

I am not sure which is better for a sucession game; on the one hand I really hate immigrants and like to have a well organized fortress with a small number of highly personalized dwarves; on the other hand I really think we could make a great game by walling ourselves into a part of the earth and breaching hell leading to the surface while at war with the humans, elves, and goblins at the same time. (and being seiged at the time, kind of like a dwarven doomsday device)

In all epic secession games almost everyone dies. If there are only two waves of immigrants half the game's life will be practically a hermit fortress because dorf children take forever to grow. The point is to expend immigrants in epic battles as soon as they arrive. There should be migrants, we just treat them too well.

That's why I'll work on genning a terrifying volcano bordering a terrifying sea in a world where water is so hot everytime it rains the dorfs melt.

EDIT: actually what is better? a boiling desert world where rain kills you, or a frozen wasteland world where all of the oceans are frozen solid and it never rains at all?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:50:36 pm by Robocorn »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21