Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM  (Read 41002 times)

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »

other than the huge water channel heyguys made to collect icewater being filled with water from the melted ice caused by the new lava moat, I don't see anything that could be causing the slowdown.

Maybe the blinkin' plump helmets? (literally, they blink)

And what's this obsession with fortifying the fort from outside invaders. We have 83 dwarves and nearly a half million in created value, and haven't gotten so much as a kobold lurking at our doorstep. I think it may be safe to say that nobody is coming through the blasted glacier to get us. (Unless heyguys created the world with some obscenely high requirements for invasion)

My last fortress didn't have a single invader for 3 years. I got up into the millions, became a barony, everything. Then, out of no where, BAM. Goblin Ambush followed by a goblin siege.

Never can be too careful.

Plus, the way our "defenses" were set up before, an ambush would have literally been at the trade depot when we heard about it. Without herbalists, hunters or woodworkers, we needed some sort of forward area. I was planning on chaining some war dogs up by the first bridge that way when invaders came they'd be revealed by the dogs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:30:06 pm by Matuin »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

Label levers. Seriously. Do it. Label them.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »

darker than black is fun.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »

other than the huge water channel heyguys made to collect icewater being filled with water from the melted ice caused by the new lava moat, I don't see anything that could be causing the slowdown.

Maybe the blinkin' plump helmets? (literally, they blink)

And what's this obsession with fortifying the fort from outside invaders. We have 83 dwarves and nearly a half million in created value, and haven't gotten so much as a kobold lurking at our doorstep. I think it may be safe to say that nobody is coming through the blasted glacier to get us. (Unless heyguys created the world with some obscenely high requirements for invasion)

Actually the fort is on an island glacier, so no civilization other than dwarves has access to our lands. I dont know whether the Titans can get there or not, but you know, better safe than sorry.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »

Actually the fort is on an island glacier, so no civilization other than dwarves has access to our lands. I dont know whether the Titans can get there or not, but you know, better safe than sorry.

The Titans that will be able to get to our island will do so either through flight or through the tunnels. If it is the former, our bitchin' moat will do nothing, if it is the latter, we've blocked off the wrong end.

I don't understand the obsession with the depot being outside while there are no defenses on the caverns and few on the staircase itself.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »

sorry about the copper armor. I was too constrained not starving to get steel up. At least you got armor :)

FPS: Going to be slow for quite a while. The volcano is refilling. There is very little standing water in my lower pump works, but if you turn on levels 2-4 you can get the last of it out, so it can dry up. We shouldn't need the system again.

I was using the accelerator. Remember you need to turn on partial print for it to work.

Try setting your path costs in the init to 1:1:... Apparently this can make a huge difference. So can putting little low path designations across all hallways and doors, helps prune the pathing algo. Also, now that we have so many dwarves, we probably need to move to 4 or 5 wide hallways. Maybe dig down a new layer, build wide hallways with many stairs connecting the main floors?

What do you guys consider low FPS? I was running 40-60 when I finished, around 20 when I said that I had to go and do something about it.

More plump helmet won't really contribute to frames. If they are flashing on the field that means they are rotting because there is nowhere for them to be stored. Again, we have so few barrels..

You can dig a well waaay down to the lower caverns and use it to refill the upper wells. Using a 50z well for drinking might be hazardous- the long wait time hauling water up could lead to deaths.

Can you confirm that I'm still alive? Which bedroom was cleared? If it was mine, could I have it back? I believe all past rulers are due grand accommodations!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:35:38 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »

As of the most recent save you are still alive, still have your room (It was heyguys' that was turned into a makeshift tomb), and you were the only one to still have your original tomb.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:12 pm »

also you should probably take HeyGuys off captain of the guard since he is a multiple legendary axedwarf who sliced a guy in half while administering a beating with his axe. Justice is bad... but hilarious. I just don't want to be responsible for murdering named dwarves.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

also you should probably take HeyGuys off captain of the guard since he is a multiple legendary axedwarf who sliced a guy in half while administering a beating with his axe. Justice is bad... but hilarious. I just don't want to be responsible for murdering named dwarves.

In fact, appoint that legendary gemcrafter that sleeps constantly as captain of the guard. Make heyguys in charge of Bora.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:04 pm »

As of the most recent save you are still alive, still have your room (It was heyguys' that was turned into a makeshift tomb), and you were the only one to still have your original tomb.

Yay :)

Yeah, that legendary gemcrafter got wounded somehow on my watch, but wouldn't rest, and never got treated. Since he carried on as normal (he made the two gem windows in my tomb), I let him alone.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:34 am »

sorry about the copper armor. I was too constrained not starving to get steel up. At least you got armor :)

Its fine, you could have made some bone armor though.

FPS: Going to be slow for quite a while. The volcano is refilling. There is very little standing water in my lower pump works, but if you turn on levels 2-4 you can get the last of it out, so it can dry up. We shouldn't need the system again.

Im actually going to make a small reservoir with a well within a couple of z levels from the dining hall, and designate it as a meeting area, seeing as we dont have one and a lot of dwarves could use some happy thoughts right now. I probably use your water leftovers to fill it, but Im a crap engineer and usually prefer bucket brigade.

I was using the accelerator. Remember you need to turn on partial print for it to work.

Try setting your path costs in the init to 1:1:... Apparently this can make a huge difference. So can putting little low path designations across all hallways and doors, helps prune the pathing algo. Also, now that we have so many dwarves, we probably need to move to 4 or 5 wide hallways. Maybe dig down a new layer, build wide hallways with many stairs connecting the main floors?

I did, to no avail.

What do you guys consider low FPS? I was running 40-60 when I finished, around 20 when I said that I had to go and do something about it.

Im getting 5-18 fps. Pretty low.

You can dig a well waaay down to the lower caverns and use it to refill the upper wells. Using a 50z well for drinking might be hazardous- the long wait time hauling water up could lead to deaths.

Again, im going to use the pimp artifact bucket to build that well, and make it a meeting area. 20 idling dwarves + Giant cave swallow = Fun.

Sorry if im a bit slow with the whole playing/updating thing, Im trying to get some sleep right now, after that Il try to play long enough to squeeze out an update.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:10:10 am by 123BIG »

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:05 pm »

Sorry about the labels. I was going mad with the people dying from unboozification to worry about them.

As for the moat.. I wish I had known we were isolated. I would've built a different mega project lol

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »

bone better than copper?

Build the deepwell under the barracks? It'll make cave swallow visits a little more welcoming.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:06:44 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »

Actually I dont think i can do this. Ive got 4 fps, so whoever is up next can feel free to try. Im not gonna upload my save cause I didnt really do a lot. Its a shame, I was really looking forward to this.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »

I must be on a roll or something, with Matuin's save I get 40 FPS

I'm sorry you couldn't play 123big.
maybe if we solve some pathing or waterflow problem we can get you another turn later.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21