Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM  (Read 41011 times)

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:24 am »

damn. Well, until 1060 i'll have to think of another mega-project.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2010, 07:03:04 am »

So, i guess my turn is up? Ok, il download the save and go kill that megabeast. Also, il try to roleplay but im not a native english speaker (as you might have noticed), so prepare for some hilarious grammar.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:46 am »

123, your english is good the way you write it. Please write plentiful english with pictures. Not required, but would be fun.

edit: FIrst things first, the beast is very easy to kill. Second, killing it does not improve FPS at all. We might need to look into an accellerator.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:06:00 am by heyguys »

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2010, 08:54:22 am »

So, uh... what do i do with that region1 file?

UPD: Nevermind, i was being stupid. Moving on!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:05:30 am by 123BIG »

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:07 am »

From the official records of the fortress Limulrodeth, "Goldanguishes", year 1054.

Journal of 123big, recently appointed overseer.

So Im in charge now. I was sitting in my quarters, pulling plump helmet crumbs out of my beard when out of the blue Matuin storms in, yells "you're it!", dumps his journals and a bunch of clean tablets, one of wich Im filling right now, on my bed and runs away before I have a chance to object. Seeing as he was the previous overseer, and each clean tablet has "Journal of 123big" written on them, I figured that was the ceremony of my honourable appointment  to position of overseer. That makes me above and below my militia cap'n at the same time! Anyway, I think Im supposed to write how Im but a simple soldier and not fit to make important decisions, but I always said our entire civilization was ruled by incompetent lunatics. After all the criticism it would be interesting to try and do a better job myself.

Journal of 123big, overseer.

After I inspected the fortress and checked the records, I made a list of current problems.

1. Overproduction of plump helmets.
Our overgrown food supplies, consisting of various meats and tripe and plump helmets are using too much space and, more importantly, too much barrels. More barrels are already being constructed from gold, but we still need to get rid of food surplus, or in a few seasons everything will be covered in mushrooms. Also, the cooks were restricted from cooking anything other than plump helmets for some reason.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Pathetic military equipment.
This is something I was personally acquainted with before my spontaneous rise to power. Copper equipment just doesnt cut it against forggoten beasts with deadly blood. We have a legandary armorsmith, and only lack of fuel obstructs the production of fine steel armor. If we dig out the edges of adamantine pillars, we might also get enough adamantine to make shields. Additionaly, some of the obsidian left over from the past magma flooding will come in handy for swords.

3. STAIRS.
We have a dangerous and useless giant stairwell. This grotesque accomplishment of dwarven architects, covered with vomit, blood and occasional corpse, descends from our highest residential level to the deepest bowels of earth.
It also goes through multiple levels of caverns and leaves several openings for various cave monsters, flying or otherwise.

4. Water.
With our currently meager stockpile of booze, drinking water soon might become a grim necessity. We have some irrigation leftovers but i could not find a decent well anywhere.

5. Trade depot.
This one is relatively minor. Trade depot is outside, protected by two magma moats with bridges, four levers of wich i cant figure out for the life of me. Also there is a tiny defence tower. Im going to relocate the depot somewhere deeper inside, just incase.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:18:09 am by 123BIG »

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2010, 10:59:10 am »

Il be uploading images shortly

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2010, 11:40:17 am »

be advised that rock shortswords are not obsidian short swords anymore; but you will notice it when you start making them.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:30 pm »

Also the FPS is killing me. Im trying to salvage some of it by caging all the stray animals but it will take a while to build the cage.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2010, 12:18:51 pm »

yeah the FPS is really, REALLY bad. even with weather turned off this year was at a crawl. Right now in my personal game i'm moving into the first cavern and locking myself out of the upper world.

You know those honeycomb passageway sections? Well if you can wall them off they make great office towers.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2010, 12:24:49 pm »

Im thinking about trying Baughn's accelerator. Its at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51957.0

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2010, 01:32:51 pm »

The levers on top do the following: (Setup is supposed to look like the lever room)

1---4

1: Opperates outer-most bridge to the Tower courtyard. Pull this when a few invaders enter the courtyard so the archers can pincushion them
2: Operates mid-bridge. Pull this as SOON as invaders come in.
3: Operates inner-bridge. Ditto
4: Was supposed to operate lava floodgate to control lava coming in (In case of lava-related accident during filling) But the mechanism wasn't lava safe (facepalm) so it don't work no more.

Also, I put the plump helmets only order because we had 800 of the buggers and needed to get rid of them.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »

I know I post here a lot, and I know you must be tired of reading these, but serious question: 123, if you manage to get decent gains with the accell or any Init.txt changes, post them up because I figure it will only get more unbearable from here.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

I know I post here a lot, and I know you must be tired of reading these, but serious question: 123, if you manage to get decent gains with the accell or any Init.txt changes, post them up because I figure it will only get more unbearable from here.

Nope. The accelerator did nothing.

At this point im thinking of drying all the various channels left over from past engineering projects. I imagine fluid mechanics eat up a lot of computing power. Other then that i cant think of anything to improve the situation. There arent enough cats for a catsplosion, the only thing causing the lag i can think of is too much space.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »

[G_FPS_CAP:5]?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:22 pm »

other than the huge water channel heyguys made to collect icewater being filled with water from the melted ice caused by the new lava moat, I don't see anything that could be causing the slowdown.

Maybe the blinkin' plump helmets? (literally, they blink)

And what's this obsession with fortifying the fort from outside invaders. We have 83 dwarves and nearly a half million in created value, and haven't gotten so much as a kobold lurking at our doorstep. I think it may be safe to say that nobody is coming through the blasted glacier to get us. (Unless heyguys created the world with some obscenely high requirements for invasion)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21