Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM  (Read 41029 times)

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldanguishes : Succession Glacier Volcano Fort with Antmen and DOOM
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »

24th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

I... Um...

Bora is.. Asleep. I don't know what stroke of luck we've had and whether the beast will awaken and murder us all, but for now, she has fallen asleep on top of one of our pumps in the cavern...

I've ordered that section of the cavern walled off. We'll leave her be for now. I am planning to wall her in and dump magma on top of her, but I do not think I will get it done in time...

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:13 pm »

24th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn
I've ordered that section of the cavern walled off. We'll leave her be for now. I am planning to wall her in and dump magma on top of her, but I do not think I will get it done in time...

Don't kill her! Think of all the low boots I could make with those pink scales! They probably defend pretty well too. catch it in a cage trap! most of the titans are vulnerable to that crap.

EDIT: or make a fortification in the walls around it and shoot it with a ballista or something. Rewmember her wings!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:12:34 pm by Robocorn »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:32 pm »

catch it in a cage trap! most of the titans are vulnerable to that crap.

She's destroyed the cage traps and doors in our cavern and is ascending the stairs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »

EDIT: or make a fortification in the walls around it and shoot it with a ballista or something. Rewmember her wings!

brilliant.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:30 pm »

Ever since our beastie showed up, my FPS has gone to shit. No idea why, it just has.

Almost through Moonstone. Save'll be up by the end of the night.

Update: Literally nothing happened. My FPS has gone insane and I can't finish my turn like this. It's almost to spring, so I'll just pass it on. Maybe the next person can find a solution to the FPS issues.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2300

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:12:23 pm by Matuin »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »

Probably fell asleep while climbing. Unconcious people treat stairs as holes.   

Stay out of my bedroom!

Booze issue was barrel based.  I did note that we needed a new well, and the pump stack I worked o. Was in the zoom list. My changing the announcements carried through? Odd. Sorry about that, I generally don't use them until something goes wrong.

At least you had food. Robocorn left me with neither :)

note: our trader died? That was me. Am I dead?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:08:42 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »

note: our trader died? That was me. Am I dead?

occasionally administrater migrants arrive with that title, i'm hoping thats what it is.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2010, 02:27:44 am »

123BIG and mine turns are going to be such wonderful fun... also, in one of my forts, I've got a 3x3 staircase going down a hundredsomething levels and nobody's ever died from falling down the stairs. Weird.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:57 am »

123BIG and mine turns are going to be such wonderful fun... also, in one of my forts, I've got a 3x3 staircase going down a hundredsomething levels and nobody's ever died from falling down the stairs. Weird.

Did your staircase have open sides that led into the cavern? Dwarves will dodge off cliffs in an attempt to not share a space with another dwarf/animal

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:27 am »

edit: In other news, my hatred of migrants is causing me to try to worldgen a pocket region with an absurd amount of caves, 5 volcanos, 50 megabeasts, 666 types of demons and top it off with the dwarf civs being dead but at minimum both goblins and humans still alive, edit: and also the volcano being amidst a cave and a dense forest with a 2x2 embark. Its not going well.

also I am planning a mega-project for this fort to be completable in one year.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:06:07 am by heyguys »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:58 am »

Did your staircase have open sides that led into the cavern? Dwarves will dodge off cliffs in an attempt to not share a space with another dwarf/animal

No, it didn't. I try to carve stairs instead of constructing them. I guess that explains it :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2010, 04:26:00 am »

No, it didn't. I try to carve stairs instead of constructing them. I guess that explains it :)

Yeah, I keep my stairs walled in, preferably in natural columns, to avoid flying beasties...

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2010, 05:44:04 am »

Yeah, I keep my stairs walled in, preferably in natural columns, to avoid flying beasties...

I've downloaded one of the saves for this fort and a few minutes in a giant cave swallow started killing wardawgs in the central stockpile. Just sayin'.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2010, 05:58:14 am »

Hey, quick question: did anyone confirm if the "submarine" idea, whereby I construct a room made entirely out of metal and totally sealed off from the world connected only by a single suspended constructed floor tile, will it collapse any number of Z-levels down without deconstructing the walls or the objects inside?

edit: nevermind. Apparently this requires natural cast obsidian. the set up would take more than a year.

I was thinking a proof of concept vehicle containing 2 usable squares, one for a bed and one for a coffin and then dropped into the mouth of the volcano. However, after reviewing the thread on this subject, it seems to me that digging the thing in solid rock, and then digging a shaft into the magma sea would be better. Wait for a dwarf to sleep, and collapse it to see if the vessle survives the fall. However it would take a long time and there are inherent risks in letting magma creatures loose through this tunnel.

edit: On second thought it would just be easier to pump up water from the cave sea to make a multiple z-level deep artificial lake in the earth itself and then dropping the completed (including muddied plots) vehicle into the artifical lake.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:22:43 am by heyguys »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2010, 06:43:24 am »

*questions about submarine*

I have done some testing on this topic and it seems completely undoable in magma (even natural rock, regardless of its melting point, evaporates/melts when touching the magma after a cave-in) and probably also impossible in water. All my tests have been run inside a mountain, so I don't know what would happen if the vehicle were to fall through water, but collision with the bottom of a shaft, even after a mere 1 z-level drop, turns this: (side view)
Code: [Select]
WdW
into this:
Code: [Select]
W W
The "d" on the first picture is a dwarf. In the second picture, the dwarf is dead, because stone seems to "compact", fall to the lowest possible level, when hitting ground. This makes it effectively impossible to build a submarine with a ceiling and I think it is somehow unlikely that a dwarf would be able to build a ceiling before the sub completely sank. My original idea (before I found out that falling natural stone walls melt/evaporate) was that the submarine would be a really tall stone pillar with a 3x3 hole in it that would house two dwarves - a good-at-everything-food-and-booze-related explorator who would stay alive and an expendable legendary mason (as contradictory as that sounds) who would wait for the drop, somehow climb out of the hole and build a ceiling over it. He would then die as the submarine slowly sank to the bottom of the magma sea. As I already said, however, it is impossible. I do hope that Toady notices that somebody wants to do it and makes it possible, though :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21