Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun With Syndromes: Poison Trees  (Read 708 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun With Syndromes: Poison Trees
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »

In the noble pursuit of SCIENCE!, I've attempted mad botany; making an evil tree that emits clouds of poison gas that, while not being immediately lethal, drive dwarves insane over the course of months and years.

Unfortunately, my initial test was... disappointing. Namely, the tree doesn't seem to be poisoning people, or, if it is, I haven't been able to detect it's effects.

The raw file, for your pursual:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I theorize that it's not working either because plants are incompatible with breath weapons, or the symptoms were either too weak to be noticed, or were being universally resisted by my dwarves.

However, a second opinion would be much appreciated.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Fun With Syndromes: Poison Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »

Yeah, I'm certain that material breathes do not work for plants. Check your error log, there'll likely be an error about an unrecognized plant token. You could turn the wood into the material with the syndrome, so that it generates a cloud when cut down, but then you'd run the risk that wagons might be made out of that wood and disintegrate immediately (not that wagons arrive currently anyway).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »

Yeah, I'm certain that material breathes do not work for plants. Check your error log, there'll likely be an error about an unrecognized plant token. You could turn the wood into the material with the syndrome, so that it generates a cloud when cut down, but then you'd run the risk that wagons might be made out of that wood and disintegrate immediately (not that wagons arrive currently anyway).

Well, feg.

Alas, it was not meant to be. Maybe next version.

In the meantime, perhaps poisonous moths...

SCIENCE!
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »

If my understanding of the syndrome system is right, You should be able to link a contact based syndrome to the tree's wood. That should make it affect any dwarves hauling the wood.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:19:48 pm »

Is it possible to give the tree a secretion? If you do that, you might be able to do what (i think it was) the mushroom man. He secreted something and when it hit air it boiled or whatever.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »

If my understanding of the syndrome system is right, You should be able to link a contact based syndrome to the tree's wood. That should make it affect any dwarves hauling the wood.

Nope. Contact currently only works with contaminants (splatter). Object-to-object contact does diddly squat.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:06 pm »

We need to get a decent Syndrome Wishlist together... there's so much cool stuff we can *almost* do, yet, but could with a little more code...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:07:11 am »

try getting the tree to ooze.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes