Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 region in 40D?  (Read 1005 times)

Iamnobodycl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
2010 region in 40D?
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »

I love the maps in the new version but dont really want to deal with the military and other bugs. Would it be possible to gen a world in the new version that contains all the caverns, large amount of Z levels, and magma sea but play it in the old version ?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 region in 40D?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »

That would require recoding which was hard coded into the game. I doubt any of us here really do such fundamental changes to the game itself, it's mostly raws, tilesets, worldgens, etc. etc.
But before you say that it's a worldgen request too, to get your world in 40d, one would have to rewrite several things. At best, you might have the old military, old systems, and not too much crashes, but you'd have the HFS taken out, in fact, all two of them, you'd have a lagging embark with about 120 z-levels, and a few layers of magma flow at the bottom. Then there's the worst outcome, and Armok forbid anyone does such a thing to the code.

Iamnobodycl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »

That would require recoding which was hard coded into the game. I doubt any of us here really do such fundamental changes to the game itself, it's mostly raws, tilesets, worldgens, etc. etc.
But before you say that it's a worldgen request too, to get your world in 40d, one would have to rewrite several things. At best, you might have the old military, old systems, and not too much crashes, but you'd have the HFS taken out, in fact, all two of them, you'd have a lagging embark with about 120 z-levels, and a few layers of magma flow at the bottom. Then there's the worst outcome, and Armok forbid anyone does such a thing to the code.

Well I can deal without the HFS and I seem to only get about 50 z-levels if I gen a world with parameters. Will I still have the caverns and different stones all over the place and the magma sea? What about the creatures that come from the caverns?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

Well I can deal without the HFS and I seem to only get about 50 z-levels if I gen a world with parameters. Will I still have the caverns and different stones all over the place and the magma sea? What about the creatures that come from the caverns?
Look, we all thought It would be epic, but we were wrong.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Iamnobodycl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:36:40 pm »

Look, we all thought It would be epic, but we were wrong.

Well it is pretty epic with epic bugs.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »

The bugs are not hard to work around at all, I haven't seen one unavoidable one.
aside from acid rain of course, but I don't count that.