Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games - Suggested by you, reviewed by me! (UPDATED: 4/23/10)  (Read 2688 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Games - Suggested by you, reviewed by me! (UPDATED: 4/23/10)
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

Okay, so in another thread there was this discussion about this game Herman or whatever. So I was like, "If I had it, I'd review it!" People were all silent and stuff, which is fine because I assume they don't care. Well, I like to be critical of games and whatnot so if anyone wants to provide games (not literally, unless you really feel like being that generous) for me to review then post the game title here along with the system it is on. I have a PS3, Wii, PC, 360, PS2, DS, and a PSP that lets me emulate any old system I want to.

After I get about 5 suggestions or so, I will either start a poll or randomly pick one. This top post will be updated with the reviews and whatnot. I'm pretty critical about things and will section them according to visual, audio, stability, gameplay, controls, and replayability. Each section will receive a score out of 100 and the game will receive an average total score out of 100. Then I will post my personal notes about the game. For instance, a game that is wholly unremarkable may score a 70~ or so, but it may just be really, really fun. This is a redeeming factor that should be taken into consideration. Even though the score is meant to be an across-the-board, very objective look at the game, there may be redeeming factors that make it a blast.

Let me know what you guys think!

Dante's Inferno - (WARNING: NSFW): 70/100

Visual: 90/100
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Audio:70/100

Stability: 90/100

Gameplay: 50/100

Controls: 90/100

Replayability: 50/100

Overall, my experience with Dante's Inferno was enjoyable. Despite some major hangups and annoyances, I liked playing it. In my opinion, it's not worth $60, but then again very few games these days are. With God of War III out, though, your money and time could be better spent there as Dante's Inferno is really just EA's attempt to be God of War. It tries to be more epic, but ends up just being more outrageous. I have heard that, as you get deeper into Hell, the levels get even more base and that the beginning levels are far better. I didn't put this in the review, however, as I don't have first hand experience with that. I didn't beat the game as it, simply, did not hold my interest that long. I hear that the last level is on the Lake of Fire and all there is to do there is to lay the smack down on the Prince of Darkness himself. I found myself thinking, "They got Ozzy in the game?" at first, but then I realized it's just probably a boss battle with an oversized generic Satan figure. Joy.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:31:32 pm by Zombie »
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, tailored to popular opinion!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »

I read the title and thought... "Finally, I can get a critic to tell me a game is as good/bad as I think it is!"
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, tailored to popular opinion!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:24:52 pm »

I read the title and thought... "Finally, I can get a critic to tell me a game is as good/bad as I think it is!"

Well now I changed the topic to stall against further tomfoolery! ;P
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, game by you and review by me!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »

If you want to review some games, go for it.

Personally I only pay attention to games reviews if its from someone I know personally to share the same taste as me in games. Failing that I read as many reviews from different sources and try to get a feel of the game that way. So you're probobly better getting a few reviews out there first so people can see what your tastes are, and what's important to you about games. Just pick some games and review them. Though I'd probobly go for something relativly new so that it's fresh in peoples minds.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, game by you and review by me!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »

Well I have a broad taste in games. In fact, the only games I don't play are traditional sports games. I'm pretty much an equal opportunity gamer. My problem is that I probably will procrastinate too much unless someone is actually expecting me to finish a review. This thread is a way to make that happen. Just toss a title out there! Maybe I'll do a short one for Dante's Inferno, though. That experience is still fresh in my mind. ;)

Give me suggestions though! I'll write one up on Dante's Inferno, but I'd like to have some that people are interested in seeing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, game suggested by you and review written by me!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews, game suggested by you and review written by me!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Just for the hell of it, Total Annihilation. If you care to get your hands on it, Space Rangers 2:Reboot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Games - Suggested by you, reviewed by me! (UPDATED: 4/23/10)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:34:13 pm »

Today I die.

I will find it interesting to see how long the review is.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:32 pm »

First-time review on Dante's Inferno is now up. I was trying to nest spoilers so you could, you know, elect to see the review if you wanted to... But the forums weren't having any of my chicanery.

TA seems like a good one, but I may update it a bit to Supreme Commander 2 if I do it. TA and Supreme Commander both have a snag, though... I would likely only review the core game and not the single player missions. I simply don't play the single player. I played halfway through and lost interest as I would rather be playing on my own terms in a skirmish.

I would like to not review any Bay12 products, though, as that would sort of be akin to setting the forum's front lawn on fire. I may have had the best of intentions, but a few people are bound to yell and scream about how I'm wrong. At least with non-Bay12 games, it's not like EA is going to make an account just to tell me how my opinion of their product is terribly wrong.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:09 pm »

Fire emblem: Seisen no Keifu. Japanese game on the SNES, so I suggest you find a translation.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:45:45 pm »

TA is pretty awesome.

I will task you with reviewing your choice of the following two SNES games. (You didn't specify how current they needed to be)

Out of this World(Don't you cheat yourself with a walkthrough)
Terranigma
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »

World of Warcraft. Seriously, opinions are biased both ways. I'd like to see a proper opinion from a B12er.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »

Darkfall Online 7 day trial. $1 for 7 days.

If you give it above 7/10 in anything, I will be surprised.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »

I would like to not review any Bay12 products,

Splintercell: Conviction

?  I think thats the name.  Its the new one.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »

Darkfall Online 7 day trial. $1 for 7 days.

If you give it above 7/10 in anything, I will be surprised.

Oh goddess, I have to PAY for a trial? It's already hemorrhaging points like crazy. Seriously.

Pages: [1] 2