Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will Dwarf 3.0 spoil us?  (Read 2839 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will Dwarf 3.0 spoil us?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »

Well, within two years I'm out of gems without exploratory mining, so there's that.  I love me some gems. 

Plus, isn't exploratory mining necessary for large numbers of artifacts?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 07:23:25 pm »

I've had maps with coal viens running through magnetite clusters 8)

I think its a bug though, and we might go back to the old "one vien/cluster per 1*1 z level". Or maybe a brand new system. who knows!
Magma is overrated.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »

Seems like there's more, to me. Or rather, the veins are smaller but there are a crap load more of them now. I like and dislike it. I like the availability...but visually and in terms of immersion...kind of a mess. My fortress is now a riot of colors because there's deposit of something every few 10 or so tiles.

I kind of assumed this was Toady responding to people's complaints about resource scarcity. But it's probably a lot of factors, not the least of which increasing the number of z-levels by x10.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »

I was digging out a room for my noble out of a Bauxite deposit, when I found two different Sapphire clusters-- each containing a Star Sapphire.

When I was digging out my cistern, I found three such formations.

There's another half-dozen exposed by erosion.

I'm pretty sure this can't be right.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »

Personally, I really like the change.

One of the big changes from .28 to .31 is that the game is less restrictive: you're no longer FORCED to embark on a map with magma, a river, an aquifier, or a carnival in order to get to the real Fun stuff.  You can build an isolated fortress in the middle of the desert, or one at the top of a high mountain now and you'll still have access to all of the game's features.  I haven't played the 2d version, but it seems like in that, too, if you just dug far enough you'd always have Fun.

I'd also like to point out that, between most common metal items only requiring one bar of ore and the great increase in the amount of ore available, you can now actually DO a lot of fun things with it.  In 2d, one thing I would regularly use was a map revealer.  It shortened the build time of one forts grand tombs (104 bronze statues encrusted with kunzite, all mined on-site) from weeks of real time to a few days.  If I wanted to do this in .31, it would probably take just as long to mine out the tombs as it would to come up with the ore and gems.

It's not being spoiled as much as it is that our sandbox is now well-stocked with the oddly shaped bits of rock that we love so much to build with.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:42 pm »

Now, this may be just speculation, or I may be onto something I just haven't had time to look into. But it appears to me that the younger the world and the further you are from civilisations the richer your site resources are. As I said, this is in no way certain, but I've had a few with dwarven contact only with heaps of resources and those who have everyone with a lot less. May have just been random, or it may factor into it. I'm really not sure.

I like the new system anyway, as Marconius said, there are a lot more challenges, so the mineral abundance evens it out again.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »

13 'Tin' seems (forget name)

Cassiterite (SnO2)
Pages: 1 [2]