Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will Dwarf 3.0 spoil us?  (Read 2840 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Will Dwarf 3.0 spoil us?
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:41 pm »

While many of us are still moaning over bugs, changed features, trying to come to terms with changes we grew used to over years... I get the feeling many of us have over looked something that has fundamentally altered the game.

"ore" is now as common as dirt.

In Dwarf 2.0, many of us learned the value of exploratory mining, moving out to find every last mineral vein of ore as well as those rare OR so rare gem clusters.  Short of embarking on a map with the King of ALL ore, Magnetite, we learned to carefully covet and guard our ore supplies, using them wisely, melting and re-melting items in order to make them last as long as possible and skill up our smithers.

But now... Now on an embark, without digging a single bit of dirt, often we can see on a single Z-level VAST fields of Ore, Gems, Coke baring rock, and Lignite and coal.  All in titanic quantities.  On a recent 2x2 map I did as a test... On a single Z-Level if encountered:
9 Gold seems,
8 silver seems
11 Garrinite seems
13 'Tin' seems (forget name)
and 48 Gem pockets.  on ONE 2x2 Z-level

Are we going to become forever spoiled? Will the Dwarfs of 3.0 become coddled and complacent with this endless supply of wealth?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will Dwarf 3.0 spoil us?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »

I have a good feeling that my volcano fortress has more gold than the actual earth.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »

Call it inflation.

I'd say the new high levels of ore saves some precious CPU. I mean, I was digging out entire Z-levels, wasting all that space on poopy rock and pathfinding.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:57:49 pm »

It's possible that:

A: Since we're dealing with really ancient history, there's more ores in the ground, and closer to the top.
B: Dwarves are better at detecting/extracting metals from ores, therefore what humans wouldn't normally consider valuable ore, Dwarves would, and we might just not be able to see all the minerals that are around us. Plus, humans don't do nearly as much digging as Dwarves.
C: Whatever planet Dwarves live on is just richer. (A Wizard Did It/Hand Wave).
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:10:07 pm »

Could also be that there is significant amounts so that we can do testing in Dwarf mode of the military with various weapons and armors without cheating.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »

That's strange. I've been digging quite a bit in my fort and I only found a few ore veins. Still pretty scarce for me.  ???

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »

In my previous game i was swimming in silver and bronze. In this game its iron and more iron. It really depends on the layers you embark on.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:30 pm »

So far I've had two maps with tons of copper and no iron. :'(

Of course I've also had maps that seemed to be  made of pure Iron, Flux and Gold.

Tin seems to be the rarest material so far for me.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »

I haven't noticed really.  I've had many ore veins before in some of my forts.  Although I think I did mod down the frequency of certain crap stones like microcline.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »

Of course I've also had maps that seemed to be  made of pure Iron, Flux and Gold.

I've had one map with lots of bismuth, casserite and tetrehedrite, so I could make tons of bismuth bronze.
I had one with lots of malachite and sphalerite, so I could make brass.
I had one with lots of garnerite, and nothing else.
All my maps seem to have an adbundance of galena. 
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 03:16:20 pm »

...I'd like to nitpick that we haven't reached 1.0 yet, not alone 0.5, but this is 0.31.
3.0 will be here in about three centuries, then the lineage of the Adams family will be complete, and a quantum world simulator will finally reach the masses.

CPUs that will be able to play it at 100 FPS with 200 dorfs will arrive about a thousand years later.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »

I don't really mind. This way I don't have to be bothered with digging through layer upon layer of useless rock just to find some iron ore. Instead I can focus on the more fun aspects of the game!

Besides, the new version introduced new challenges as well. It stands to reasons that some bits get a bit easier in turn.

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »

As mentioned in this thread, I've noticed an abundance of maybe two or three ores and almost no others. It's kind of annoying, in a way!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »

As mentioned in this thread, I've noticed an abundance of maybe two or three ores and almost no others. It's kind of annoying, in a way!

I think that's how it is in real life... how much area are you digging into?

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:02 pm »

I've had one map with lots of bismuth, casserite and tetrehedrite, so I could make tons of bismuth bronze.
I had one with lots of malachite and sphalerite, so I could make brass.
I had one with lots of garnerite, and nothing else.
All my maps seem to have an adbundance of galena.

Yes, I always seem to have plenty of Galena. Lead is the new copper it seems.
Pages: [1] 2