Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Niagra falls??  (Read 1874 times)

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Niagra falls??
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »

Can anyone find, help me find, or suggest world gen settings to find such a place?   I'm looking for 2 rivers, hopefully major, that meet, both ends in water falls.  At least tall enough to make copious amounts of mist.   
  Thank you

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Niagra falls??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

Next question: how to get a dwarf to climb inside a barrel.

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »

:D  tehe.   It would be epic!   How about an elf in a cage?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:30 pm »

Pretty sure you cannot have two rivers both with waterfalls.

It seems the way the world generation works, *a* waterfall only occurs where two rivers (all types) meet, with the one that's higher needing to fall down to the one that's lower.  Note that the output river from the meeting may be dictated by the size of the one doing the falling, but the end height seems to be dictated by the other river.

I have not seen a waterfall which didn't happen where one river input met another.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:25:58 pm »

Very occasionally, you can get a map where multiple rivers/streams/brooks meet in a small area. This can make it so that one of the rivers is in a gorge, and several other rivers then come over and dump into it as waterfalls.

To generate such a place, you'll want to set "Periodically erode extreme cliffs" to No, set the "Erosion Cycle Count" low, and increase the 2 "River Start Locations" parameters. That'll make it so that there are more big cliffs (so rivers that meet are more likely to be on radically different z-levels) and more rivers (so there are more rivers to meet, naturally).

For 40dx, there was a map which did have 3 or 4 minor rivers and streams and brooks falling into 1 major river where they could be put into a single playable map, though it was very big. I'll see if I can't dig it up. Even if you're playing 31.0x, you can still use the worldgen parameters as inspiration.

Edit: While it wasn't the one I was thinking of, I did find this little place. Apparently, it has a 47-wide (!) major river that goes over a waterfall, and after its waterfall another river comes and joins with it (no waterfall on the minor river that I can see from the pics). Still, I would think that the 10-z-level, 47-tile-wide waterfall would be more than sufficient for most purposes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:36:22 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:54 pm »

excelent!  I'll give those a go.  I've been trying with max rivers and no oceans. 

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:34:16 pm »

excelent!  I'll give those a go.  I've been trying with max rivers and no oceans.

No oceans is a good idea.  That's how i've been looking for truly massive waterfalls.

Haven't seen two major rivers meet yet, although that would be awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »

Very occasionally, you can get a map where multiple rivers/streams/brooks meet in a small area. This can make it so that one of the rivers is in a gorge, and several other rivers then come over and dump into it as waterfalls.

Occasionally? Just about every world I've generated has a dozen+ meeting points with multiple inputs meeting in one spot. Many of those have been waterfalls.

I'd suggest moving this conversation over to the other topic that has been on the first page for the past few days: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54569.0

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:53 pm »

Sorry, didn't mean to clutter up the place.  I'm not looking for his site.  Though I think I have the info I need.  I'll not reply here anymore so this can fall off and not offend you anymore.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »

I'm not offended so much as confused as to why you would start another topic when there's one titled "Massive Waterfall" right in the first page or two of DF Dwarf Mode Discussion.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:34 pm »

Be a Dwarf, not an elf. Split that river in twain and reshape the very earth to accommodate your whims.

Incidentally, you would need to increase the amount of water flowing through the river if you did that. I would recommend pump stacks from the underground, and put the pumps into the  river one the z level right below the ground, with nothing showing on the surface.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:24:06 pm »

hmm, I had not really considered that route!  Just a thought, could pumping from an aquifer produce the required amounts of water? 
  To the question above:  I'm not looking for a single massive waterfall,   I want many, preferably at the same spot from different directions.  I can get plenty of big waterfalls but only 1.  That and i'm having issues pictureing the embark site from the embark screen.  It usually looks different from what i'm imagineing.  ie, the river is moving a different direction and such.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:47:06 pm by Bedsheet »

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:59:45 pm »

At first I saw the first letter as a 'V'.

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:12:39 pm »

At first I saw the first letter as a 'V'.

See older guys play this game too!

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »

Dat waterfall

datass.png

If I found a waterfall that size, that froze during the winter, I would probably construct an artificial "cliff" in the middle of it, hanging out over the edge... which would serve as my fortress entrance.
Pages: [1] 2