Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buyable Dwarves, Intelligent Pets & the Caste System  (Read 3512 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buyable Dwarves, Intelligent Pets & the Caste System
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »

I've loved playing around with the idea of Intelligent pets since 40d, but there were always odd limitations and bugs to what you could do. The most successful experiment thus far was one that made Dwarves into their own pets and allowed them to be purchasable on embark, though they acted like regular dwarves in all other respects once you arrived on site.

I'd been reading about other modders success at working with the Caste tags & it got me to wondering if it was possible to make a Caste of Pet dwarves which could also be purchased on embarkation and assigned labors (like my previous mod), as well as possibly be able to be eaten.

What are the practical limits to the tags and the caste system? Can I make a caste of Dwarves who are listed as Verminhunters and who will pick other dwarves out as their owners while they scamper about eating Rats? Can I have dwarves who can be bought and sold like pets, learn skills, find love & eventually be made into Dwarf Leather Hats when I tire of them? How depraved can things get in this game if one is clever enough with their tag use?

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
Re: Buyable Dwarves, Intelligent Pets & the Caste System
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

Generally, anything with an [INTELLIGENT] will be buggy as a pet, like the plump helmet men. The intelligent tag is also buggy with anything edible, again, like the phm. If I were you I would look for the phm thread, this has already been discussed there.

Here's one of the threads: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54912.msg1180524#msg1180524
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:03:05 pm by Shakzen »

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:34 pm »

Generally, anything with an [INTELLIGENT] will be buggy as a pet, like the plump helmet men. The intelligent tag is also buggy with anything edible, again, like the phm. If I were you I would look for the phm thread, this has already been discussed there.

Here's one of the threads: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54912.msg1180524#msg1180524

Intelligent pets were mentioned about 2 or 3 times in the thread, with the rest of the discussion being about Thallids and velociraptors. Anyway, I'm not talking about making an  intelligent pet species (which I believe is still buggy and useless), but rather a pet Caste. I've seen other threads where a person modded Male dwarves to be unintelligent, resulting in situations where they could be butchered and eaten. I'm wondering how far this phenomenon can be taken, and if it includes the possiblity of being able to buy a specific Caste of dwarves on Embark as pets, as well as to how strange you can make them.

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »

Intelligent pets were mentioned about 2 or 3 times in the thread, with the rest of the discussion being about Thallids and velociraptors.
What else did you expect from this forum?  ;D
Anyway, I'm not talking about making an  intelligent pet species (which I believe is still buggy and useless), but rather a pet Caste. I've seen other threads where a person modded Male dwarves to be unintelligent, resulting in situations where they could be butchered and eaten. I'm wondering how far this phenomenon can be taken, and if it includes the possiblity of being able to buy a specific Caste of dwarves on Embark as pets, as well as to how strange you can make them.
There are plenty out there, and I gave you an example, I'm sure you can find a ton more with the search function. You should probably use this thread to ask specific questions not answered elsewhere, because if you aren't specific it will probably devolve the same way the others did.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:21:16 pm »

I can confirm that adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET] to dwarves in the main raw, then removing it in the save enables mass peasant purchases. In addition, a lovely new feature makes it so that when the dwarven caravans come, they bring SKILLED dwarves in cages. That's right, buy your own High Master Soaper today.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »

I can confirm that adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET] to dwarves in the main raw, then removing it in the save enables mass peasant purchases. In addition, a lovely new feature makes it so that when the dwarven caravans come, they bring SKILLED dwarves in cages. That's right, buy your own High Master Soaper today.
Purchase a bunch of elves just to kill them with their own purchased kind.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

Anyone know how to prevent certain castes from interbreeding?

Im making a slave cast, normal dwarves giving bitrh to 'slave babies' would be weird. Though it would let me be evil by butchering babies.

I also need to stop stuff like 'stray expidition leader'. Cant find the right tag in the enity definitions though. <--- fixed! Replaced [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN], then added [CAN_CIV] only to the non-slave dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:07:06 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:43:32 pm »

Anyone know how to prevent certain castes from interbreeding?

Im making a slave cast, normal dwarves giving bitrh to 'slave babies' would be weird. Though it would let me be evil by butchering babies.

I also need to stop stuff like 'stray expidition leader'. Cant find the right tag in the enity definitions though. <--- fixed! Replaced [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN], then added [CAN_CIV] only to the non-slave dwarves.

Now THAT is an interesting discovery.

Can anyone confirm a way to purchase Dwarves on embark like pets but give them labors? I used to be able to do it in 40d, but I'm not absolutely sure how to do it in 2010 AND keep it so that there can be different castes at the same time.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »

Currentely failing to give slave dwarves labours, also failing to stop them from being part of the embark dwarves. This will probabaly mean they show up as migrants as well, which will have skills and labours. Im thinking of taking the can_learn tag off the slaves, but I would rather not. Im not even sure if that would even stop migrants from having skills at all.

Also: bah. Wagon castes dont work.

This is definetelly one of my most fun modding projects.

Edit: gah, turns out both the CAN_CIV tag and the SLOW_LEARNER tag are obsolete. Disfuntional slow_learner (which doesnt show on the errorlog) was what made the slaves un-noblable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:45:55 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:37:29 pm »

This is definetelly one of my most fun modding projects.

Oh no! Hes in a fay mood! Lets pray he gets what he needs and everything works out...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »

I hear intelligent stuff can't be butchered for their meat, so consider confirming that, or avoiding it if you wish.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »

this makes me think, for the last "Purchasable Dwarves mod" I modified the dwarves to be slower learners and stronger with a few other changes. story wise they were dwarves that had been to deep for multiple generations (most likely also fairly inbred) making them preternaturally strong and highly capable underground but a little dim and added the trainable tag onto them for good measure.

so, my question is... is there a way to make them less intelligent but still be able to gain experience? example will swapping out intelligent for the cast and leaving only can learn have an effect? (will be testing it) is there a better way?

Most of the "Buggyness" that came with the old way was "Hey! My talking dogs got elected mayor lolwut!" but that's to be expected from intelligent CIV members and isn't really a bug, but more how the mechanism actually works.

un-noblable.
if this means Unable to become Nobles then that can be used to fix that "Bug"

Fakedit: this is my first time going into one of the more intense creatures raws... kind of intimidating.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

this makes me think, for the last "Purchasable Dwarves mod" I modified the dwarves to be slower learners and stronger with a few other changes. story wise they were dwarves that had been to deep for multiple generations (most likely also fairly inbred) making them preternaturally strong and highly capable underground but a little dim and added the trainable tag onto them for good measure.

so, my question is... is there a way to make them less intelligent but still be able to gain experience? example will swapping out intelligent for the cast and leaving only can learn have an effect? (will be testing it) is there a better way?

Most of the "Buggyness" that came with the old way was "Hey! My talking dogs got elected mayor lolwut!" but that's to be expected from intelligent CIV members and isn't really a bug, but more how the mechanism actually works.

un-noblable.
if this means Unable to become Nobles then that can be used to fix that "Bug"

Fakedit: this is my first time going into one of the more intense creatures raws... kind of intimidating.

Well if they have the [Can_Learn] tag they can gain skill, though the degree to which they gain skill will be determined by the learning speed tag thats in the raws. Will they have [Can_Speak] as well as can learn, or will your slave caste be unable to become legendary conversationalists?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:21 am »

I tried replacing can speak with Uterences for fun, making my Inbred deeper dwarves have a sort of mush-mouth that no one but them understand. sadly right now it looks like it gave it to all dwarves even though I put it in only one cast.  >:(

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:55:04 am »

I'm having a hell of a time with it myself. Back in 40d it wasn't too hard to mod in purchasable dwarves, but here I seem to be running into a wall. My only success in purchasing dwarves was when they were [Common_domestic], but that made them unable to be given labors. When I gave the Dwarf Entity the [Use_any_pet_race] tag and set dwarves as [Pet_Exotic] I was able to purchase other 'intelligent' pets (actually just [Can_Learn] and [Can_Speak]) like Gremlins, but Dwarves weren't an option.

Honestly I don't know what to do about it. I don't see the point of being able to purchase dwarves if I can't give them labors, and when they are exotic pets I can't buy them at all (unlike in 40d).
Pages: [1] 2