Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Being "Reported"  (Read 23563 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Being "Reported"
« Reply #255 on: May 07, 2010, 12:44:33 pm »

Yeah in Wolfenstien Enemy Territory, you see a lot of mortar-hitting-spawn going on. If the spawn is set to 20 seconds, and the game lasts 15 minutes, the mortar guy gets around 50 free kills. There's a short invulnerability period after you spawn, and smart people get the heck out of the spawn right away, but AFKs don't get a chance to. This is balanced by the fact that anyone getting into the rear can easily take out the mortar guy, as he's stuck there for a few seconds even if he sees you and tries to stand up.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2010, 12:46:50 pm »

You can respawn in CS:S.
Only in the next round.

But lets go back to "being reported". One of my mates was once accused of hacking on our own game server. After a bit of discussion he wouldn't back down, so my mate promptly used admin hax (e.g. turning the guy into a timed explosive) for lols.
Tip: Accusing a server admin of hacking to his face is not a good way to stay in the server, regardless of whether he is or not.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Pathos

« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »

My favourite bans ever were WC3 ones, when I joined those RP servers. One time, I conducted a "siege" on a massively defensive enemy fort. Try and remember I could've ported a bunch of creatures in and slaughtered all his units, but I decided to conduct it like a proper siege, with artillery bombarding his (impermeable, mind) walls and my units waiting outside to rush in once they managed to destroy the door.

The reply I got? "FFS NOOB THIS IS RP SERVER NO FIGHTING ALLOWED FFS" "SUM1 BAN SHITTY NOOB PLAYER FFS" "WTF NOOB GTFO! RP SERVER IS 4 BASE BUILDIN NOT FIGHTING"

Just made me facepalm so much, and then I got banned. I joined one of those servers once more, asked someone about combat on the server and got banned again.

Just really what the hell?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:30 pm »

"RP" people in WC3 are rarely about roleplaying or especially free roleplaying.

In spite of the fact that 99% of the "RP" maps are set up for roleplaying war, they get pissed as all hell whenever someone does something that they can't control. Just remember that they're all under 16 and have the mental maturity of 8-year-olds, which is why they all start the game with "ok so my ppls r verry supereor and live of of evry1 buy telleportin in and out of the worldwith superfast spaceship uberfighters they stealed from kerrigen!!!"

Or something equally retarded. Also, the whole concept of a "RP Map" is generally retarded, since it's the same as any other custom SC/WC3 map but without a fixed objective (making it a magnet for such people!)
Considering that all WC3 custom maps are roleplaying on some level, and that this "RP" gametype attracts mentally stunted people, your best bet is to just play a war custom game in which you can actually go to war, rather than pretending to.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2010, 02:23:17 pm »

"RP" people in WC3 are rarely about roleplaying or especially free roleplaying.

In spite of the fact that 99% of the "RP" maps are set up for roleplaying war, they get pissed as all hell whenever someone does something that they can't control. Just remember that they're all under 16 and have the mental maturity of 8-year-olds, which is why they all start the game with "ok so my ppls r verry supereor and live of of evry1 buy telleportin in and out of the worldwith superfast spaceship uberfighters they stealed from kerrigen!!!"

Or something equally retarded. Also, the whole concept of a "RP Map" is generally retarded, since it's the same as any other custom SC/WC3 map but without a fixed objective (making it a magnet for such people!)
Considering that all WC3 custom maps are roleplaying on some level, and that this "RP" gametype attracts mentally stunted people, your best bet is to just play a war custom game in which you can actually go to war, rather than pretending to.

My brother (who while is young, is also pretty damned mature) enjoys playing RP games on warcraft 3. I couldn't stomach it but he would play for hours just building up some scenario for the players to enjoy. I'm pretty sure what he was doing was what the creators had in mind. (he was like a DM managing a tabletop game).

Seriously though, like 3-5 hour games. I could not do that. I'm allergic to open canvases.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2010, 02:31:16 pm »

One of the rare exceptions in deed. I've played with such people.
The sigs topic:

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »

I used to play the RP maps all the time and had a lot of great experiences. Your rant is a bit off-kilter.

The general problem we had with attacks was that people would roleplay them but do them before we had actually finished our set-up. I'd be halfway through building a farming village when somebody would come with their Legion of Death (TM) and demand that I hand over my women/gold/whatever, and when I'd ask them if they could kindly wait five more minutes for me to finish building the settlement they'd charge their knights in and hack everybody away.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »

Well, WC3 5-7 years ago was a lot different than WC3 is now or has been for about 3 years.

If you want to talk about the golden age, then so be it. But my rant is set in the present.
The sigs topic:

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »

I have never been banned, warned, reprimanded or even muted for anything. 
That's what I said till I joined SS13.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Pathos

« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2010, 10:41:37 pm »

I used to play the RP maps all the time and had a lot of great experiences. Your rant is a bit off-kilter.

The general problem we had with attacks was that people would roleplay them but do them before we had actually finished our set-up. I'd be halfway through building a farming village when somebody would come with their Legion of Death (TM) and demand that I hand over my women/gold/whatever, and when I'd ask them if they could kindly wait five more minutes for me to finish building the settlement they'd charge their knights in and hack everybody away.

I've played decent "RP maps" but they were mainly focused on combat and didn't have the spawn abilities that characterised the stupid ones. The one that sticks in my mind is the map where players built up cities etc, and there was a player playing as a dragon and one as a demon. That was FUN to play, especially when you started out as a dragon and were asked by players to help them hold off their enemies for a price.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2010, 01:11:01 am »

I remember playing a sort-of RP map one time...  Utterly crap landscape, but it had a few castles here and there that you could take over and start building in.

I picked gnolls as my race to play as (one of the more "barbaric" races, so they weren't really supposed to be building up inside a walled city or whatever, but there were plenty of castles to go around).  I pumped out a few citizens to stand around and look useless, and started planning what I was going to do with my little kingdom.

After a time, some bandits showed up (another player).  They came in, slaughtered the few soldiers I had raised, and destroyed a fair chunk of my population and buildings.  Instead of destroying me outright however, they retreated back outside the city gates when they felt I was "docile" enough.  From time to time they would come back and kill off a chunk of whatever population I'd managed to bring back from the ashes, essentially "farming" me for loot and experience.

What could I do?  There was only one entrance to the castle, and they had built up barracks just outside the gate.  Any attempt to raise an army to push them back would quickly be discovered and then put down.  Even building an unusual number of houses would illicit a violent response.

Getting a couple builder units outside wouldn't be too much of an issue, but there was a snag...  I was embodied on the playing field as the gnollish king, a little character with a crown hovering over his head.  Should the king unit fall, I would be toast.  So even if I could start up a settlement outside the walls, my king would still be imprisoned inside the old city, so I would still be under the thumb of the Bandit Lords.

It was then that I devised an ingenious plan...  I put up a couple more peasant huts, and started producing more civilians, as was the normal method of doing things (civilians would automatically generate resources).  No military units were created, so the bandit player didn't get alarmed.

I produced many more civilians, throwing in a number of the nearly identical builder units.  I eventually had quite a crowd packed into the little fort, and it would occasionally get the edges trimmed down by minor bandit raids, but since everyone was non-military, the bandits didn't feel threatened.

Then, the moment of truth.  I shoved my king into the rear middle of this vast crowd of civilians, and commanded the whole pile of them to run for the hills.

A tide of peasant workers and their families charged out the gates as the bandits sounded the alarm.  They bandits attempted to stop the flood of escapees, but could only pick away at the stragglers around the edges.  The padding of many, many gnollish lives served as an impenetrable defense for the king.

Faster than the bandit footsoldiers, my gnollish citizens finally managed to break away from the tyranny of the Bandit Lords.  We traveled for quite some distance, always fearing that the bandits would catch up to us, or that one of the many local orcish tribes would pick up our scent.  We passed beneath the unwelcoming ramparts of the elven citadel, narrowly making our way through the gap between their arrows and the axes of the barbarians that had set up camp not far outside.

Past the elven citadel, we came upon a great swamp that was hidden from view by a barrier of dense forest.  We put up a few basic dwellings on the soggy ground, and began to pick up the pieces of what once was.  We had done it.  We were free.

And there it was...  A great exodus of the dog-people that would be passed down by storytellers for generations to come.  Some day, we would raise a mighty army to take back the mother city, to reclaim what was ours by right...  But for now, we would rest, and mourn the many who had given their lives so that we could survive.  We would live.

...shortly thereafter, it was dinnertime.  I had to abandon the gnollish people in the hidden swamp next door to those bastard elves, so I was unable to see them through to their destiny.  But dammit, I ESCAPED.  I can't possibly describe just how awesome a feeling it was to see my plan come to fruition, and to see that I'd managed to slip past the defenses of my slave drivers into a free world.  Watching the bandits try desperately to assemble enough troops to stop me as I ran for my life right out the shattered ruins of the front gate...  Man, that was epic.

Still kind of a crappy map though.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2010, 02:03:33 pm »

I have never been banned, warned, reprimanded or even muted for anything. 
That's what I said till I joined SS13.
This SS13 place sounds awesome, I'm totally in! Never been banned, warned, muted or whatnot for anything, and I've been involved in quite a few silly 'trolling' scenarios back when I was active on Data Realms. I remember I got reported for doing nothing wrong on Maple Story too. It had me freaked, I was sure something was gonna happen to my account, then again, I was young and naive back then.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:07:20 pm by ILikePie »

Pathos

« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2010, 02:15:57 pm »

I've never been banned on SS13, until I just joined an SS13 server (a B12G hosted one, although I only recognised one of the admins) and subsequently got banned for a "potty name", arguing with an admin over him teleporting me all over the place and stripping me naked and him leading a witch hunt against the person who pressed the show temp button.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2010, 02:26:51 pm »

Never been banned, but a mod told me (and the guy I was arguing with) to walk away from a thread on the xkcd forums due to being too aggressively argumentative.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2010, 05:36:25 am »

I got hacked in runescape once. By the time i got my account back, I had been banned. Quit playing after that.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24