Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Being "Reported"  (Read 23544 times)

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
Re: Being "Reported"
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »

You had an argument about that?

You guys are aware that the final scene of Hamlet commonly features a rather commonplace dueling scenario where both competitors dual-wielded blades, right?

Well, just to get in on it, I'll say that that was the common Renaissance style of dueling, using a mein gauche in the left hand as a parrying dagger. In other words, it's not duel wielding swords, which is ridiculous, it's using a sword and dagger (for parrying purposes only).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:44:22 pm by Char13magne »
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »

I think the dual-wielding issue was about someone who was naming everything from broadswords to ceremonial Asian weapons (like tonfa) and anything else you could imagine as the "perfect defense against zombies, using my perfectly toned body" or something like that.

The the spears thing was a little ridiculous on my part. But I still hold that it's insane to think spears are a preferable or even moderately useful thing against large numbers of enemies who are only affected by nervous damage.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

Oh yes, a swarm would massacre you. But it is perfect for small encounters as a way to kill one or possibly two with the extra reach before they get you.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:03 pm »

Ok, my fault. Admitting that, let's /derail.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Pathos

« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:30 pm »

Well, just to get in on it, I'll say that that was the common Renaissance style of dueling, using a mein gauche in the left hand as a parrying dagger. In other words, it's not duel wielding swords, which is ridiculous, it's using a sword and dagger (for parrying purposes only).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swordbreaker_img_3665.jpg

They're very thick and pretty much useless for cutting people with.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

You know what I never understood? The great big gouges that run inwards and towards the point of the blade. Are those to like, catch the enemy sword if they try to swing and then retract it?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2010, 07:58:09 pm »

If you had two daggers, that might be dual-wieldable, too, if a bit short on reach.

The gouges are to catch the sword, yeah.

EDIT: Muslim soldiers during the Crusades used to use Damascus Steel daggers to break the Crusaders' swords.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swordbreaker_img_3665.jpg

They're very thick and pretty much useless for cutting people with.

Mostly. I happened to have been fencing for 9 or so years (foil, and I dabble in sabre), and in that large span of time, somewere I was introduced to the mein gauche (though I had encountered it before in my various literature-based exploits), it seemed pretty much useless for anything but parrying/swordbreaking, depending on the weapon and country of origin. Indian ones, for example, can be quite deadly (And are duel wielded :D).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:05:50 pm by Char13magne »
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »

Quote from: Grakelin
If you had two daggers, that might be dual-wieldable, too, if a bit short on reach.

The question is whether or not doing so would be helpful in any way. Daggers are of course often designed as stabbing weapons, which limits your potential mobility if you have one in each hand and you're hoping to do more than just leave a mark. Also, you'll have much less in the way of defending yourself from incoming blows (as daggers are not only short, but lighter and weaker than swords and therefore a silly thing to try to parry with).

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

Who said anything about close-combat? I was suggesting just throwing one of them into the enemy's chest and jumping him while he's in shock.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:47 pm »

Yeah, that'd work, but then why would you want to dual-wield them in the first place? Surely your opponent is going to be pretty busy bleeding by the time a thrown dagger lands, so you've no reason to mess up your throw by holding something in your other hand at the same time. Unless you're expecting close combat at any moment, in which case, you're probably buggered anyway.

/nitpick

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »

THATS (Hopefully) THE JOKE.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

Well, if you're fighting two guys, you can throw your offhand knife at one and then battle the other.

Easy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:41 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24