Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Being "Reported"  (Read 23575 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Being "Reported"
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »

Props for that, by the way.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2010, 07:32:11 pm »

... calling someone a "dick" a few days prior, and one for calling people "retards" and "sheepeople" after starting a fight ...

Dick, yes. I was wrong there, and I'd actually forgotten using that. I said "you don't have to be a dick about correcting someone, just refer them to the wiki. Three other people already civilly answered him." when someone treated a newb like a moron and called them names for asking a question in the questions forum.

Actually, Toady, and I hate to argue with you publicly or privately, I did not call anyone a retard or sheople. That was what the people who reported me called people who use consoles. I am sure you do not have time to go back and review it, but I was muted for calling that view "ignorant and one-sided" (my exact words).

As Cthulhu noted, I was muted for being reported by people using the words retard, sheople, and fuck. I noted the fact that I was muted for referring to a point of view as "ignorant" due to reports from the same people who cursed out the dissenters (including me) with the f-word a page earlier. The thread and posts are still there, and I didn't start the argument nor was I even half as nasty as the people that came after me.

Edit:
Ah, I forgot: As I already stated, I didn't get into trouble for calling out people for using the report button. I got in trouble for the reports resulting from threatening to use it myself. The dates are there: the reprimand resulting from those reports precludes the post in which I noted that the first person who hits the report button seemed automatically stand on the side of justice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:39:10 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »

Don't give me props for apologizing for something.  ???

Sorta makes me feel like the subject of Chris Rock's 'two kinds of black people' routine.  "I take care of my kids!"  :o
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2010, 07:35:33 pm »

Sorta makes me feel like the subject of Chris Rock's 'two kinds of black people' routine.  "I take care of my kids!"  :o

You're supposed to you dumb mo...  I'll just stop.  Man, that was a great show.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »

Don't give me props for apologizing for something.  ???

It's such a rarity on the internet, it's just a nice site.

But I'll stop, for you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »

I've never been banned before... but I remember this mod on TW who pretty strict and a little overreaching at time.

but whenever he logged off the chat box became the funnest place ever.

in no other game have my privates been assaulted with a hedgetrimmer.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »

Wait, I got my school banned from Wikipedia once.  I'm no longer proud of that.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

How did you manage that?

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »

Hm, never been banned. Though I've been warned countless times on Gamespot.

I probably deserved most of them, though. I joined in 2003 (I was 8!).

Looking through my warnings, some of the moderators were pretty harsh. They deleted this signature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, yeah, my school is banned from Wikipedia too. Looking through the edits the school IP's made is really embarrassing. It's dumb stuff like blanking pages and writing "<name> IS A PENIS" and such. One person had the sense to actually do semi-destructive vandalism (that is, go through the page, change some dates/names, write 'fixing grammar' as the edit summary) but that was caught in a week or so.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:54 pm »

How did you manage that?
Uh, banned from editing, not viewing.

Pathos

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »

How did you manage that?

You just have to edit pages in a way that REALLY pisses off the moderators.

Like something I did, which was to slowly ( over a few days ) edit a page ( some rap group ) into containing references to steak and various other cuts of beef. This was edit by edit, so they couldn't really find out where to revert it to, and I did it over multiple IPs. ( Probably why I didn't get banned. ) Whenever someone changed it, even a bit, I reverted it with a "defacing page with falsities". I even had an argument on the discussion page over it.

It ended up getting locked in the end, and most of it being editted back. But there was still a reference in the links section, and that was hilarious.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

... calling someone a "dick" a few days prior, and one for calling people "retards" and "sheepeople" after starting a fight ...

Dick, yes. I was wrong there, and I'd actually forgotten using that. I said "you don't have to be a dick about correcting someone, just refer them to the wiki. Three other people already civilly answered him." when someone treated a newb like a moron and called them names for asking a question in the questions forum.

Actually, I was thinking of this one, the one you were warned about:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48053.msg981655#msg981655

But if there's another one, well, I'm not surprised.  You were getting into a lot of fights in January.

Actually, Toady, and I hate to argue with you publicly or privately, I did not call anyone a retard or sheople. That was what the people who reported me called people who use consoles. I am sure you do not have time to go back and review it, but I was muted for calling that view "ignorant and one-sided" (my exact words).

Yeah, I had a chance to look at it, and I've amended the notes.  I also noticed you were exacerbating the situation with a running commentary (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1046008#msg1046008, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1046085#msg1046085, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1046972#msg1046972, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1049234#msg1049234, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1049340#msg1049340, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48311.msg1049449#msg1049449).  Given your past history of arguing at the drop of a hat, I think the mute was fine.  If other people needed to be disciplined, that's a separate matter, but I'm sorry for the oversight.

Edit:
Ah, I forgot: As I already stated, I didn't get into trouble for calling out people for using the report button. I got in trouble for the reports resulting from threatening to use it myself. The dates are there: the reprimand resulting from those reports precludes the post in which I noted that the first person who hits the report button seemed automatically stand on the side of justice.

Ah, the notes are ambiguous there, and I got it the wrong way.  It doesn't mean you were being any less of a problem though.  Your characterization of the situation in January is crap.  You were starting fights and arguing in multiple threads.  It had become a problem.  I remember that much without having to refer to the notes, since I remember how much of headache it was dealing with your inability to recognize that you were being a problem.  It's not like we just drop in and take the reporter's side.  Your condescending attack on Threetoe is hogwash -- we went over those threads together, and you just couldn't stop picking fights with people.  This post is a good example (and the rest of the thread as well):

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46080.msg970705#msg970705

The thread had been quiet for almost a day and a half, and you came back with that.  Not helpful!  That thread was locked, but the pattern continued for another week, culminating in your mute.  You can't explain away your first mute with a convoluted story about bias toward reporters.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »

I tend to get banned for the silliest things, especially in-character comments. :D
They always get undone when a moderator with eyes looks at the matter though.

Yet I always get away with all the innuendo I spread around. :3

edit: TOADY! WE LOVE JOO! ♥
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:21:01 pm by Naros »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »

How did you manage that?
Uh, banned from editing, not viewing.
What did you do, change MLK's page to nothing but racial epithets or something? Or did they just get their knickers in a twist and ban you for no reason.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2010, 09:16:15 pm »

Well, I looked at our school's user talk page, and there's a fairly obvious pattern.  They warn you four times for low level vandalism before tempbanning you.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24