Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Being "Reported"  (Read 23590 times)

Pathos

Re: Being "Reported"
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »

I've been warned, I can't remember what exactly it was about.

I've also been reprimanded IC in Achaea for hurting someone when I was a Mhaldorian Knight.  You know, Mhaldor, where the people are so improbably evil they make Nazi Germany look nice.  Yeah, Achaea sucks.

I both hate and love Iron Realms Entertainment games because of the Divine. I mean, in Midkemia Online, I worshipped Lims-Kragma ( Goddess of Death ) who seemed to REALLY have a thing for helping me out in bad situations. It was a nice interaction that my batshit crazy goblin mage ( with a penchant for making things go boom ) was endorsed by the Goddess of Death. But, at the same time, you get the divine that will just do anything to help their friends out of situations and generally muck stuff up.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »

With a single post, I accidentally started a derail that led to every participant in the thread reprimanded and one person banned. Although apparently, no one much liked her.
I do remember.  I quite like the way Toady edited that thread to make it look innocent.

Anyway... one warning on here for being a dick, perfectly fair (split into three messages though due to incorrect linkage and double posting... hope it doesn't count as three in Toady's records :P).  I think I've improved since then.

Otherwise... I went several years without a single warning on Runescape, in spite of their notoriously strict rules (even some game related stuff like luring people to dangerous areas can be bannable, and almost anything that can be taken in a vaguely insulting way is warnable).  I got kicked and banned a couple of times from #mafia, but that was from the same mod who randomly half ops people every now and again, devoices people in the middle of a game and kicks/ very short bans people who make bad jokes (although he can never remember whether m stands for minutes or months...).

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 08:43:53 pm »

Haven't gotten a warning here, came close to getting one on the Bungie forums, back when I was new to the whole internet forum thing.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:37 pm »

With a single post, I accidentally started a derail that led to every participant in the thread reprimanded and one person banned. Although apparently, no one much liked her.
I do remember.  I quite like the way Toady edited that thread to make it look innocent.

He went through it like bearded chainsaw.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 08:56:49 pm »

I know what most people mean when they say that but I read that as more like a bearded axe.

Chainsaw with a larger overhung surface for cutting?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »

Chainsaw with a sword-grip, the cutting surface extends over the handguard.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 09:09:31 pm »

Ive been warned and banned all over, but it's never really my fault.

Alas, I must always be the scapegoat.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »

Chainsaw with a sword-grip, the cutting surface extends over the handguard.

Nasty stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »

Ban me once, it's a mistake.  Ban me twice, it's favoritism.  Ban me all over, and maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »

Ban me once, it's a mistake.  Ban me twice, it's favoritism.  Ban me all over, and maybe I'm doing something wrong.
You would think.

But I can assure you. I have been at fault in none of those instances.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

Hmm... I seem to remember my friend got himself banned from Club Penguin for 20 years.  God knows how considering they only ever gave my brother 24 hour bans regardless of his offence.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 09:35:56 pm »

You would think.

But I can assure you. I have been at fault in none of those instances.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just remember, if you're getting banned for roughly the same reasons each time, reflect on that fact. It means something.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »

TL;DR: Threetoe is human, and busy. Forumites are abusive.

I walked into the Anvils discussion once, and took the side of taking an anvil along. I got torn into by every lurker/noob/ninja who dropped by (aside from legitimate civil discussion from the opposing side). I made the mistake of saying that it was the first time I've been tempted to use the report button, and they all responded by mass-reporting me. This put me on Threetoe's radar, and he told me he was getting enough reports to make him think I was trolling. For someone who sat around in my off time answering noob questions, encouraging storytellers and discussing how to fix up the wiki, this seemed insane. I told him to read by posts and it would be obvious I wasn't.

Well, mouthing off to an admin is stupid. Even one as seemingly good-natured as Threetoe. I went back to the topic and really did argue, complaining about their immaturity. I have seldom seen a thread consisting of mostly immature teenagers and one-time posters on this forum, but that was one of them. Meanwhile, assimilateur did one of his famous moves where he misreads someone's statement and goes wild over it for a couple of pages. I got reported by his supporters, although I never replied. Footy corrected him for me without my having to do anything (afterward). When this hit Threetoe, he apparently didn't want to be bothered by investigation. He muted me promptly.

Then, about a week later on the thread of whining, moaning, screaming, and b*ing where people discussed their problems with modern games (source of 10,000 reports), I disagreed with those who kept ragging on and on against consoles. Elitists if you will; the kind that give independent game communities a bad name. I said that the view that consoles are "a way to corral the stupid sheople into spending obscene amounts of money on games that should be released for computers, superior machines in every way; they're stupid wastes of money for ignorant people who have no taste!" To paraphrase a major TL;DR.
My response was short, simple. "That's ignorant and one-sided. Consoles standardize the gaming industry much like operating systems standardize computers."

MUTE! 3 days. I kid you not. No courteous message, only a note in the thread "muted for being abusive". Wowzers; that's what you get for disagreeing in a thread full of people with a very strong opinion. Threetoe had had enough of this "evul troll", and didn't care to investigate the source of another half-dozen reports. He doesn't have time for mess like that, and once you're on his radar you are in a bit of trouble!

I think some people can attest that I'm anything but a troll or troublemaker. Anyway, I noted to Threetoe that I realize what is happening, but getting even reprimanded over calling an opinion "ignorant and one-sided" when the same people had f-bombed other dissenters a couple of pages back was overkill. He was understanding enough to realize that I was/had been a target (didn't yet know what forum discussions to stay away from!), not an instigator, and the persecution stopped.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »

Been warned three times, and thus muted once.

I disagree with on of the warnings, but I don't/didn't care enough to fight it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »

I remember that thread, Architect, and I remember being a little annoyed that you were muted for disagreeing with them.  That thread was like a pack of angry dogs, if you walked in and you weren't one of them, they went at you.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24