Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding Question: "Child" Caste?  (Read 1591 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Modding Question: "Child" Caste?
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:15:59 am »

Just a quick question. Can a child's caste be defined so that it has a completely different body structure from the parent, or the thing it'll grow up into? For example, can we have a "butterfly" creature whose child is a wingless, chubby, helpless lump?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Question: "Child" Caste?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:21:55 am »

if I recall, vermin cant have children.
but if you mean a giant butterfly, possibly, but I really dont know to be honest.
wouldnt hurt to experiment I suppose.. as I think you can do that with males and females, but the caste of male or female might be declared when a child.
which brings to another question, can a dwarf change castes on the fly?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:22:32 am »

Shoot, I'm not sure either. But yes, I meant a giant butterfly. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:10 am »

To kill and make crafts out of I assume?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:32:26 am »

Of course not.

I'm going to hunt it down and put its head in my trophy... bin.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:42:03 am »

So you can sell it to elves and make them cry?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:45:14 am »

Technically, they'll be crying because they've been hacked repeatedly by blunt objects. But yes.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:49:31 am »

I was just making sure you weren't planning on making some unholy mod where dwarves prance around mirthful fields with their giant butterfly companions.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:50:21 am »

Elves on War Butterflies, though. That'd be ridiculously in-character for them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:03:02 am »

I was just making sure you weren't planning on making some unholy mod where dwarves prance around mirthful fields with their giant butterfly companions.

They already have that, you just makes elves a playable race.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:05:57 am »

I was just worried dwarves would be defiled. And who the hell would play "stand around with trees picking berries fortress"?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 07:14:12 am »

I was just worried dwarves would be defiled. And who the hell would play "stand around with trees picking berries fortress"?

Elves would. Although they would call it "Stand around with special trees picking berries forest retreat".

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 08:40:40 am »

Bamf. Back on topic.

Any modders who know the answer to my question?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:52 am »

Just a quick question. Can a child's caste be defined so that it has a completely different body structure from the parent, or the thing it'll grow up into? For example, can we have a "butterfly" creature whose child is a wingless, chubby, helpless lump?

Unfortunately, creatures cannot change caste as they grow up, so they can't have different tags and bodies from their adult forms. I'm pretty sure you can have individual body parts grow/shrink as a creature ages, but they'll retain their function, whether they're size 0 or size 500.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

Buh. Yeah, I asked Sean Mirrsen about it and he said pretty much the same thing. :-\

Unfortunately, creatures cannot change caste as they grow up, so they can't have different tags and bodies from their adult forms. I'm pretty sure you can have individual body parts grow/shrink as a creature ages, but they'll retain their function, whether they're size 0 or size 500.

How do you go about doing this? I'm not quite clear on the Wiki's intervals tag...
Pages: [1] 2