Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drinking Barrel and Food cabinet  (Read 8272 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking Barrel and Food cabinet
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 06:57:00 am »

Could make the barrels 2x1, and have them store up to 40 drinks or so. That'd give people a decent reason to use them. Also, some dwarves might want their own private mug, and get angry if other dwarves use that mug. Could also make them get attached to one, treating it as a *Adamantine goblet* for all intents and purposes..

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 04:10:45 am »

Having a giant 'tavern barrel' would be great. Stick a couple in a meeting hall, and your dwarves will go there to get smashed, instead of the stockpile. Having something for food would also be good. Perhaps a giant shelf or cupboard? Giant banquet table? Basically, it looks silly to have a city of people crammed into a stockroom and eating directly out of barrels.

http://www.amber-trail.cz/cz/fotky/cile/80.jpg

And for emergencies, perhaps you could have tavern barrels set aside for water? It would be a nice little touch, and be easier than having a water pit.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:32 am »

If you're going to invoke the common image of barrels and taverns and such, you should really recall that they held more than five servings. In that light, why is it overkill to have a larger keg?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:58 am »

If you're going to invoke the common image of barrels and taverns and such, you should really recall that they held more than five servings. In that light, why is it overkill to have a larger keg?

I've always found that odd, actually. In adventure mode, I consistently stuff barrels with the heads of 20+ sentient beings, but fort mode barrels can only hold enough for five (drinks, not heads)?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 10:52:53 am »

I've always found that odd, actually. In adventure mode, I consistently stuff barrels with the heads of 20+ sentient beings, but fort mode barrels can only hold enough for five (drinks, not heads)?

Maybe one drink, is a lot more then we think. Like 4 heads worth?
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 11:09:35 am »

A healty dwarf drinks half it's body weight each drinking.

Anyway adding taverns could also be owned when the economy kicks in.
Anyway I think that it might be a nice new job tavern keeper. Someone who generates nice thoughs to anybody who drinks in their tavern they are not required but make things nicer. It would also make sense if drinking in a tavern with other dwarfs would generate happy thoughs+frendship.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:57 am »

i want it simple, so it coul be added fast, not some fancy smancy extra large keg just because it has more style... because that would never be implemented then :/
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:07 pm »

The difficulty as it stands is that a keg of 5 booze would vanish in no time. In a fort of 60ish dwarves, it's not uncommon for me to see more than 5 drinking at once.

With kegs that have more in them, it's less of a problem. And while mixing vintages could reasonably be problematic, if we could specify that the brewer grab 5 of a given plant at a time to brew with reliably, rather than going by the stack that gets pulled from the field, installing a barrel to drink from would make more logistical sense.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

The difficulty as it stands is that a keg of 5 booze would vanish in no time. In a fort of 60ish dwarves, it's not uncommon for me to see more than 5 drinking at once.

With kegs that have more in them, it's less of a problem. And while mixing vintages could reasonably be problematic, if we could specify that the brewer grab 5 of a given plant at a time to brew with reliably, rather than going by the stack that gets pulled from the field, installing a barrel to drink from would make more logistical sense.
Or you could just build more then 1 barrel.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »

A healty dwarf drinks half it's body weight each drinking.

That rationale doesn't work as well when you're playing humans. Anyway, heads should be the new standard measurement of volume.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »

A note about drinking:

Dwarves only eat about 8 times a year, and drink about 18 times a year.  In order to scale that up to what they would really be eating/drinking, you have to accept that they eat and drink unusually large amounts in a single sitting.

Also, barrels do not cap out at 5 servings of alcohol.  Barrels simply get filled with 5 units of alcohol per unit of food in a stack that is brewed, which means that a 5 unit stack produces 25 alcohol in a single barrel.  Even then, the only reason barrels do not hold more is that stills only accept empty barrels.  Barrels do not currently have defined limits, although most containers tend to stop at 10 of whatever objects they hold, regardless of the volume those objects may take up.  (Such as bins holding 10 breastplates or 10 earrings before becoming full.)

Regardless, if we are talking about making full "taverns", there are threads that do more thorough jobs out there: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60681.msg1371687#msg1371687

and, if you really want to solve the problem: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61620.0

i want it simple, so it coul be added fast, not some fancy smancy extra large keg just because it has more style... because that would never be implemented then :/

It's not like Toady has a habit of adding in small things faster than the big things, as far as I have seen...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 01:50:51 am »

That would be pretty nice if we could link up stills to it using nether-cap wooden pipe sections to chill our drinks to the frost-brewed flavor a modern dwarf expects.  Bonus points if you set up a well nearby built over a reservoir lined with minerals in order to produce carbonated mineral water for Dwarven mixed drinks.  A few Urist Collins' on the rocks would be nice after a hard day's forging.   Indeed, the entire concept of recipes is something I'd like to see explored further...your fort might not have produced much of note, but damn if it didn't have the best bartender in the Mountainhomes cranking out alcoholic wonders.

Of course, before dwarves start drinking from mugs I want them to stop running around naked and actually putting on new clothes when the old ones tatter. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:00:00 am »

I've always wanted a simple way to make private food and drink storage for dwarves. 
Pages: 1 [2]