Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I suck at making custom Maps :< HELP!  (Read 1267 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
I suck at making custom Maps :< HELP!
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »

Every-time I mess with the worldgen parameters, Either i get endless rejected worlds and nothing is made, or it takes nearly an HOUR to create the world... and then crashes :/

All I want is a large world with huge mountains, lots of valleys, volcanos and lots of map ares with a height of 80Z levels or so :/

What am I doing wrong?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: I suck at making custom Maps :< HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »

Does your computer suck?
Maybe try for less lofty generation parameters?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:18:37 pm »

I don't even know if Im doing something wrong or not.. mostly I increase "Max Z level" increase "Min z level" increase max volcanos, and increase max population.. I don't even increase them that much.

Really its not the maps but the z-levels, everytime i find a really nice map that is just right, it has a max z-level of only 30

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:24:24 pm »

Set the year of ending to 250 or so, rather than the default 1050. Atleast it should not take so long to gen a world after that, if you can get by the rejects.

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:21:42 am »

Every-time I mess with the worldgen parameters, Either i get endless rejected worlds and nothing is made, or it takes nearly an HOUR to create the world... and then crashes :/

All I want is a large world with huge mountains, lots of valleys, volcanos and lots of map ares with a height of 80Z levels or so :/

What am I doing wrong?

Typically the first thing I do when generating a custom world is to go through all the "Minimum number of xxxxx squares" settings (at the bottom of the list) and set them all to null. This is typically the number one cause of large numbers of rejects. These numbers are tuned to generate a nice, balanced world. If you're mucking around with the worldgen params, chances are you don't want, and won't get, a nice balanced world. So setting these to null is a good idea. Also you might want to set "minimum edge oceans" to null if you are doing anything that might prevent the map from generating oceans. It may also be necessary to go through the "Minimum Initial xxxx Square Count" and "Region Count" settings and nullify some or all of them as well if you are generating a very extreme world.

Oh, and note that I think you're misunderstanding "Minimum Volcanos"... you can't simply increase "Minimum Volcanos" and hope the map will randomly generate enough. That's simply a reject setting. If it doesn't reach the minimum number of volcanos it will try again, with the same settings. This is probably why it's going into an endless reject loop. If you want more volcanos, you need to change the volcanism properties.

Once you've done that, you should only get minimal map rejects. If this doesn't solve the rejects problem, make sure you edit your init.txt to set LOG_MAP_REJECTS to YES. This will create a map_rejection_log.txt that tells you where the worldgen is failing and should point you in the right direction of fixing it.

NOW, to create the volcanos you want, the best way I've found is to mess around with the mesh-size and weighted range settings. I believe that a Volcanism of 100 results in a volcano, so you're going to want to set the volcanism 80-100 range to something high, try 10 to start. You also MUST set a volcanism mesh size for the weighted ranges to work, not exactly sure what this does, but 4x4 and 8x8 seem to work fine for me. I usually add a high value to 0-20 or 20-40 volcanism as well -- if your volcanism is too high, you will have a lot of difficulty finding any sedimentary layers and all the goodies that come in them.

I'm not quite sure what the "Min and Max Z-level" settings you're referring to... The best way to get lots of z-levels is to again use the weighted range, this time for elevation. I like to set 60-80 to 5, 80-100 to 5, and either 0-20 or 20-40 to 5. this should create lots of mountains, and occasionally deep valleys and some low plateaus. You can also try playing with the "Z-levels above layer xxxx" settings but I haven't had much success with that. Elevation is still the best in my opinion. You can also try pumping up the Elevation and Volcanism Variances... this should make it rapidly transition between high and low volcanism/elevation in a shorter area, making those valleys you want and giving you a better chance of finding sedimentary near a volcano.

Also, if you're having performance issues, I'd create a smaller map unless you desperately need a large one for some reason. Pocket-size maps should generate very quickly regardless of settings.

Hope that helps.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06:36 am »

You can enable world reject logging in your init.txt file. This will create a worldgen_rejects.txt (or similar) file in your DF root directory which will contain the specific reasons for rejections.

After that, all you have to do is search Google a lot and try to figure out why those rejections are occuring!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:02 am »

nothing I do seems to work :/

Well kinda... I just gened a new world using Cecilkoriks suggestions, and for the first time I did Gen a "custom" world without it locking up or rejecting everything... Unfortunately I seemed to make an Über flat world, every map seemed to be less then 7 levels.. I finally found a good location that said "HIGH" elevation in the map info, from ground to peak iot was 11 levels... And then, was only 15 Z-levels above that >_<

Seriously what am I missing to get a standard 80z-level tall map? Wasn't there a way to set it? So even if you embarked on a totally flat map, you could have a max zlevel of 80?

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:05 am »

There's an option relating to z-levels in world gen parameters. Well, it's a set of options...

Basically, look for the stuff called "Z Levels Above Layer X", and increase all the numbers to whatever you see fit. It's set to fairly low by default.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:04 am »

BWA HA HA!!

In the annals of "be careful what you wish for" I just spawned a Map with the new settings after finding "Z Levels Above Layer X" I set it to "65"

I load the map and set the "Find" function to "High" "River" and "6x6"  After a bit of waiting it seems to have found me a map "IN" mountains.  I embark and Land right next to a freaking (drum roll please) 65 z-level MOUNTAIN!

Form bottom to top peak was 65 levels!!!  Above that?  ANOTHER 65!
I now have a max z-level map of 130!!! I really REALLY want someone to update Dwarf-3D cause I am DYING to see what this monster looks like!

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:31 am »

BWA HA HA!!

In the annals of "be careful what you wish for" I just spawned a Map with the new settings after finding "Z Levels Above Layer X" I set it to "65"

I load the map and set the "Find" function to "High" "River" and "6x6"  After a bit of waiting it seems to have found me a map "IN" mountains.  I embark and Land right next to a freaking (drum roll please) 65 z-level MOUNTAIN!

Form bottom to top peak was 65 levels!!!  Above that?  ANOTHER 65!
I now have a max z-level map of 130!!! I really REALLY want someone to update Dwarf-3D cause I am DYING to see what this monster looks like!
how deep does it go?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:39:12 am »

Well yes, z-levels -above- ground are for... well, above the base level!

If you want -deep- maps, adjust the other parameters!  :P

I also find it a good idea to keep the numbers more or less even, else you'll have one really thick layer of one kind and a few really thin ones at the bottom.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:48:27 am »

Who cares how deep it is.  You get deep maps no mater what, I have plans for building a 72-Zlevel Mega Tower so HEIGHT is what I wanted, and boy did I get it!