Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 86558 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Helping you, Helping me--
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56:10 am »

Thank you. Usually it's faster to check your guide than wiki (which is less organized btw now :)).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:48 am »

Any other requests? I have extreme extra amounts of time to spare today...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2010, 11:38:22 am »

Any other requests? I have extreme extra amounts of time to spare today...

Living Vermin

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2010, 11:44:54 am »

:1:VERMIN:NONE:TURTLE:TURTLE

That's what I've used, which produces a turtle.

:1:FISH_RAW:NONE:TURTLE:TURTLE

Produces a "raw turtle", but upon being processed it doesn't seem to drop a shell.

:1:PET:NONE:TURTLE:TURTLE

A "tame turtle" is made.

To have the vermin scurry about you have to remove the workshop, in which all contained vermin will scamper about. I think you can grab vermin from the workshop without having to remove it.

Still no luck on shells.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2010, 11:56:02 am »

To have the vermin scurry about you have to remove the workshop, in which all contained vermin will scamper about. I think you can grab vermin from the workshop without having to remove it.

Oh aye? Hmmm. So could make a first reaction that creates the vermin, and a second that takes it, and puts it in an animal trap, or cage? And THEN, could I have a reaction that uses that vermin alive, or does it fall afoul of the game's inability to detect things inside containers?

And what about a custom vermin that produces a nasty substance? If it's trapped in the workshop, will it emit its poison?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »

I don't know the animal trap reagent. I suppose it could be animaltrap, but idno...

but what I recall doing was using cages.

so something along the lines of...

[REAGENT:A:1:CAGE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:VERMIN:NONE:TURTLE:TURTLE][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:A]

This will force you to use an empty cage to put the vermin inside of. Which you then have in something...

You then make animal traps at either the forge or carpenters.

You place the cage with the vermin and you unassign it from the cage and a drawf should take an animaltrap and it will now be in an animal trap (which is what I believe vermin are supposed to be in)

I think you run into the messed up container thing, but I guess it would depend on what you're trying to use it for.

So like a vermin that has a secretion that's poisonous?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »

Yeah. One that secretes toxic gas, perhaps. Or bites, I suppose, but that seems less likely to work (and hard to test)
I suppose if vermin stay in the workshops, I could make it so reactions occasionally create a "ghost" that hangs around and haunts the workshop, but it'd be good if the ghost had some bite, beyond freaking out dwarves that don't like them.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »

Well I don't know how well secretions and all that jazz work with vermin.

You're also going to be stuck with "debilitating" effects, I don't think there is a "fear" kinda deal yet or delusions or hallucinating effects.

An easy way to try it might be making a vermin with a secretion like the plump helmet man I saw that "puffs" smoke or w/e occasionally and see if you can get a vermin to do the same thing. Again... Vermin are a very... confusing.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »

Any idea what the PERMITTED_JOB tag is for alchemy?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 03:59:01 pm »

Useful guide, thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

My guess masakhan... Herbalist, partly because they are sometimes referred to as alchemists.

Well hmmm, I just looked over the string dump and Herbalist for the job seems convincing, it's the only thing that'd make sense under the dwarf entity listing.

However seeing the ALCHEMY skill and the HERBALISM skill, it really makes it iffy.

I'd say try ALCHEMIST, cause I suppose that's what you would call a person with the alchemy skill, but alchemy or something rendition of alchemy for a job, is not present under any listing that i saw.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:06:43 pm by Shaostoul »

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 05:52:32 pm »

I've been fiddling with making underground plants, and am currently working with trying to make a plant who's thread can be smelted into metal.  Right now, the plant works.  The metal works (tested it by generating a free metal reaction that simply cost one unit of fuel).  The thread works and can be worked.  However, the thread->metal conversion does not work.  Once I get that working, I can hopefully balance the plant and metal value-wise to get something rather valuable, but not overpowered.  Maybe then, after that, I'll make an underground plant that can be harvested for fuel on those maps without sedimentary/flux stone and inconveniently deep magma. :D

Anyways, the plant:  Currently it shows up as a white square when harvested, but other than that it works fine.  Also, if you replace [THREAD:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:THREAD] with [THREAD:METAL:THREAD], as I tried to do to make a shortcut of threads that could be melted, the game will crash during worldgen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next the reaction (I forgot to put the permissions to run this reaction into the entity folder for the longest time.  Felt rather dumb after that.)  So far, the option to make this reaction never appears on the smelter.

Finally, the metal itself.  I plan to re-edit this now.  Currently, it is better than iron or steel in all ways except it melts at gold's temperature.  When I get around to remaking this, I plan to have it be rather dull (somewhere between copper and bronze) but have exceptional tensile strength.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »

Well with your problem of the white plant...

[PICKED_COLOR:7:7:0] <--this

7:7:0 is white or gray. The 3rd number (zero in this case) can be either 0 or 1. 0 = dark, 1 = bright

You can try 0:3:0, see how that looks. Should be a dark cyan color with a black background.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Color

try that, if you can't figure it out, I'll help you pick the color.

...next...

[REAGENT:A:15000:THREAD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:COTTON_MITHRIL:THREAD] <--- this

You need 15000 thread.... try 1

If you don't have the required amount of reagents for the product, you don't have enough material.

...next...

I'm not seeing what you need help with for the metal, except your display color is wrong again...
I believe with the 1:2:3 numbers... it should be something like. A blue item on a green background, but the 3 number needs to again be either 1 or 0

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »

Ah, ok, I'll try those values for colors and such.  That was a minor issue, but one that annoyed me.  I was thinking it was RGB values and working accordingly.  Strangely enough, the 1:2:3 combination for the mithril gave me a lovely dark blue color, much like kimberlite.

Also, the 15000 thread?  That's because a "Thread" item has 15000 thread in it.  This is mostly for stitching (1 stitch = 1 thread).  It takes 15000 thread to make one cloth item.  Likewise, bars are now 150  bars per item.

I'll try this out though, since last time I tried it, I forgot to enable the reaction in the entity file.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »

Well that's where to oddness lies with the new system. I think it's able to use the individual threads for certain things like sutures, but not so for reactions, seeing as thread appears as a singular item. However, you might run into a problem where say you have a full thing of thread, then some of it gets used so you're down however much from 15000, it might not be usable in the reaction any more.

It's just a guess.

For dye I think it's RGB values, for items I believe it's always the foreground:background:brightness.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29