Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 86526 times)

TheBox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Helping you, Helping me--
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:52 am »

alrighty, awesome.  I'll try a few things and post back with my results.  May be a day or two though, got company flying in from out of town tonight, plus work today.  I need to add an [AUTOMATIC] tag to all these computers I need to fix and hire a dwarf or two...

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »

mmm is posible to make a creature tht breath fire and have poisonus blood and a poisoned tail
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »

Hey, Shaostoul, I have a question.

What qualities make good armor? I'm trying to make a special sort of leather, only obtainable from a certain beast, and I want to make its leather much better than normal leather armor.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »

@TheBox - Okay, guess we'll see around then.

@darksergio - breathe fire, yes. poisonous blood, yes. poisonous tail? In which regard? Like a barbed tail or like a scorpion? I believe so then. You would just have to look at the giant desert scorpion for reference then.

@Acanthus117 - I'm not sure... Here's some ideas you could try...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know, but is it possible to change the material_placeholder? If it is you could try changing it so your specific leather has to be used? IE cow leather or dragon leather instead of just leather.

For body armor or any armor in that case, raising the armorlevel might do that trick.

layer_size and layer_permit and material_size might help some how, you'd have to do testing.

Not too sure what the [HARD] and [SOFT] tags do exactly, but you could try playing with those.

[BARRED] [SCALED] on the helm might add, added defense.

This is all just guess work on my part, I don't really make new items yet, but that's what looks like might be the most reasonable. I guess I could try testing, but at this point, I'll be doing the same thing as you.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 01:11:40 pm »

I was talking about the stuff like Yield Strength and all that complicated stuff.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »

Hmmm, at that point, I'm not sure, you can always try playing with em to see what you get. Try drastic changes from standard materials. A drastic change would be really easy to spot, small little changes would be quite a bit harder. I'll play around with the armor to see what happens, but again, same stuff you'd be doing.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 01:45:16 pm »

Under tissue_template...

[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1] <- Might try making a new tissue for your creature for it's scales/leather/chitin/whatever and increase this number.

Under material_template_default...

These are all different "outer" layers, skin, leather, chitin, that sort of stuff.

The YIELD and FRACTURE for IMPACT, COMPRESSIVE, TENSILE, all seem to be the same within each entry. so you'd probably want to leave those as is. The SHEAR entry seems to have a lower yield and than fracture for some. That'd I suppose imply that it's a harder material. BENDING seems to be on the low end of ELASTICITY for hard materials like BONE and CHITIN, implying less movement.

To really understand all these you need to understand what it means by IMPACT, COMPESSIVE, TESNILE, TORSION, SHEAR, BENDING.

Impact I believe is how well it does with well... impacts. A higher number might make it less susceptible to bludgeoning weapons.
Compressive might imply of how well the item can compress, might influence movement and might also influence how ridged and strong the item is to... bludgeoning blows.
Tensile could imply how well it does with being stretched. Like if you use one string, the tensile strength is to that of the one string and is relatively low and if you hang something too heavy on it, it snaps, if you make it into a rope, with many strands it can take the weight and the therefore, the thing is strong. It's like taking cotton and metal wire, the metal wire obviously has a higher tensile strength cause it can hold a much heavier item.
Torsion is how well something can be twisted. If you take glass, and you twist it, it breaks relatively quick, a large piece of glass allows for a little bit more visible twisting, if you take a sheet of aluminum and twist it, it can twist a decent amount for a metal and still retain its original shape, so this could imply mobility.
Shear strength implies possibly how well the item can be cut. A piece of bread has a low shear strength and you cut it relatively easy with a knife, but if you use a dull knife on the bread, it's compression needs to hold up to the pressure you apply before you can cut the bread or else it deforms.
Bending is well... how well it bends. Chitin or a shell would have relatively no bending as it is a really hard material and has to stay firm or it just breaks and is useless, but you lose out on mobility for strength. Metal has a bending ability, take a knife or a sheet of metal again and you can bend it, however you can bend it only so far or its shape is altered and is now bent, with a cold metal, the metal could bend just a bit and then snap.

With the way the game seems to take all of these numbers. Higher numbers mean stronger armor and more mobile armor IMO.

Hope this helps.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:47 pm »

alright, will do.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:40 pm »

Sorry Acanthus, that's about all I can do to help. Hope it helps other people as well. All of it is my interpretation, so it could be horridly wrong. Toady would have to say what everything means to have the best and clear answer.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2010, 11:33:23 pm »

No, really, it's a ton of help. Thanks!
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 11:40:26 pm »

Out of curiosity, has anyone made a working shell reaction?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 04:37:31 am »

I found this thread while looking for an answer to that very same question, Shaostoul!

Is  there at least a way to produce RAW turtle that has to be processed? It is my understanding that that is the only way to get shells now, and as near as I can figure, once ponds dry up once, that's it for fishies.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:58 am »

I'm sorry to say that, but your guide is no longer useful for me. I can't find a list of all proper skill names and professions you used to have. Why did you remove/hide it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:15 am »

I'll get that list back up Deon ;) I was doing modifying to the list and I guess I accidently deleted something I shouldn't of. Just give me a bit. (A minute or so)

Well, when I was working on try to make raw turtles, I made them...

:1:FISH_RAW:NONE:TURTLE:TURTLE

It did produce a "turtle" which was promptly brought to the fishery for processing, but it didn't leave a shell. Is the HASSHELL tag still required?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:04 am »

Deon, list is up. Add some comments to a couple of the skills for clarification.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29