Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 86519 times)

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now containing more spoilers--
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:27 am »

I just started a fort as well to test my custom reactions...I'm planning on building a giant tower out of trash.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now containing more spoilers--
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

If anyone knows any reactions they use that aren't listed here, let me know and I'll add them.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

TheBox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Helping you, Helping me--
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 06:43:42 am »

Here's a question for you.  I'm working on a custom workshop for craft goods.  It's using a slightly different concept than usual crafted goods.  Current system takes raw ore or blocks and turns it into a crafted item.  Well, I'm going to a bit more realism, adding a bag of sand (preserved), and a bucket of water (bucket preserved) to the mix.

Basicly, instead of carving something out, it's going to be produced in the smelter via casting.  All of that is well and good and easy enough.  However, the act would raise both crafting and smelting skills.  So, the question of the hour is this, how would I make it up both of those skills?  Adding multiple skill lines doesn't seem to work properly.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 11:14:00 am »

You would probably want to divide it up into multiple reactions. Maybe the furnace operator takes all the goods and makes a "cast" material first. Then the craftdwarf could take the cast back to the craftdwarf shop to finish it, or finish it at the smelter. You could make the cast a new type of stone so that it could be modified beyond base quality.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »

Well, through the testing I've done, DF doesn't seem to use reagents effectively currently. Every way I tried I got the product and if I tried to preserve the reagent, it more used the bag than what was inside.

If I were you, you could try making a new product called crafting sludge (like cement) which could use crafting or w/e to making it. Then you would have a forge or something make a mold. Then you would take both items to the molding shop and you would use both as a reagent and preserve the mold and use the sludge and make it another crafting job?

Just a suggestion.

Containers are used fine, contained products aren't if you want to preserve the container.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 02:55:25 pm »

Any working reactions that place products into vials? I went through the guide section with barrel and bad production, but I didn't see any reactions with vials.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 03:49:51 pm »

Hmmm any examples of what goes into vials? I'll give it a look.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 04:05:06 pm »

I guess we can take an example and use venom...

[REAGENT:A:1:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:POISON][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:A]

Try VIAL instead of barrel? It's the only thing I can seem to find that makes sense.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56318.msg1219986#msg1219986
Apparently "STONE" is no longer a valid tag with the new version?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »

Every reaction I've made I've been using in my game and every single one has been working for me. But for the sake of it not coming up any more, I suppose I'll change it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »

It was working because STONE works as well as NONE now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »

Well then I'm lost...

-edit-

I'll just go with what I know works, if it works for me, it should work for you. End story. All my reactions are made and tested using the latest version of DF.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:04:22 pm by Shaostoul »

TheBox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

Blarg, so there's no way to make a reaction train multiple skills?  Hmm...  I wonder if I can come up with a way to automate it so that they'll do two reactions automatically one after the other...  Anyone know how the automatic skills such as Render Fat work?  Or the farm fields automatically planting when you have seeds?  Perhaps I could make it so that as soon as a dwarf makes the mold, he'll automatically take it and make the crafted item as a second reaction.  Any ideas?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »

Huh. I didn't even notice that rendering fat was automatic now. Anyway, it's [AUTOMATIC] you want. If you have a reaction with that on, like your craft item reaction, as soon as the reagents become available (ie. the mould) the dwarf should preform it. I say "should" because, well.....y'know dwarves.

Oh, and just to avoid confusion, workshops don't really work much like farms, so don't assume if a farm can do something, a workshop can do anything similar.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 10:27:02 pm »

Yeah, farms are a whole different cup of tea, that we can't really touch right now.

I do believe it's just automatic.

You would have to manually produce the two reagents required for the item, unless you have a reaction produce two products, then both workshops would get to work with the automatic tag and then the final workshop would get to work. All of them cept the first one with the automatic tag.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29