Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 86524 times)

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Helping you, Helping me--
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

I nominate this thread for a sticky.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »

I nominate this thread for a sticky.
seconded!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »

Yeah, I've looked at the guide.  The guide is huge, and most of it is pre-made reactions (which help a lot with initially learning, but when you need a quick reference are very cumbersome).  The only list of tokens I could find was the labor tokens list.  Wouldn't it be easier to make wiki pages for this stuff?

The wiki has lists of tokens. 
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Token

Yes, the wiki's tokens are usually just copypastad from 40d at this point, so they are not necessarily current or correct.  The string dump is useful for finding miscellaneous tokens that you're unsure of.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/String_dump
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:30:54 pm by derigo »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »

So what, you guys want a list of all the tokens?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:48 pm »

Pretty sure that's the wiki's job. 

Say, come to think of it, ANYONE can edit the wiki.  That's what a wiki IS!  lol

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2010, 05:51:12 pm »

Well derigo, as I said before, I'm not sure about doing anything fancy on the wiki, it'd more or less a huge wall of text. If someone cares to teach me about fancy stuff, especially if there is any spoiler like tags that are on the forum.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »

I edited the wiki(or any wiki for that matter) for the first time, yesterday, so I'm certainly no expert.  I haven't read through this entire thread, so I dunno what kind of things you've thought about doing to the wiki.  But as far as tokens go, the organization is already in place; the tokens have been split into their categories.  The actual tokens on the subpages just aren't described very well in most cases, and many tokens are missing or deprecated. 

If you're interested in fixing up the wiki, start small and go from there.  Fix some of the token entries, elaborate on some of the descriptions, no need to get fancy right off the bat.  While you're doing that, I'll wager you'll pick up a fair amount of the fancy stuff along the way.  It can't be too hard, or wiki's wouldn't work because no one would be able to edit them.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[REACTION:SILTSTONE_TO_ALABASTER]
[NAME:make alabaster from siltstone]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:SILTSTONE]
[PRODUCT:100:5:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:ALABASTER]
STONE should be replaced by BOULDER.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »

This guide is very helpful. Thanks for putting in your time and effort :D

And here is a question:
Is it possible to make a ranged weapon shoot more than one object a turn?
For example, crossbow shoots 5 bolts at once.

And another:
Is it possible to create a creature made out of rock?
A granite spider, for example.

Yes, I did a bit of searching, although it only got me confused. ::)

Oh, and I also vote for sticky.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:51:36 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

@Wyrm, read first post... I've been using ALL of my reactions... seriously, all of them. They all work, even with stone, they all act as intended and I haven't run into a single issue. If you run into an issue with stone produced from my reactions, let me know the offending reaction and thing you were trying to do with it.

@addictgamer, for the crossbow, as far as I know... no. For the stone creatures, yes. There are a couple creatures in the raws that use metals and stones for their mats, I think it's like an amethyst man and granite man and bronze colossus.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Poll added--
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2010, 05:20:34 pm »

You can't, as far as I can tell, adjust the firing rate of ranged weapons at all, let alone make them fire multiple rounds at once.  What you COULD do is make new ammo that was 5 times as powerful.  To balance it, you could perhaps make it difficult to obtain, or complex to construct with a custom reaction.  Check out rheyana's thunderbluss mod for an example along these lines.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »

Hey Shaostoul, in your heroic efforts to figure out how to create bones through reactions, have you ever tried to make animal corpses or pieces of animal corpses?  If it worked, they might get hauled off and butchered into bones.  Then again judging by how the RAW_FISH turtle worked, they might get butchered into no bones.

Still no luck on shells, eh?  If you're still having mood dwarves go nuts from having no shells, the easiest solution is to add [SHELL] to the material_templates for, say, hooves and/or horn.  It won't affect any horns or hooves you have lying around in your refuse pit, but the next time you butcher a cow or something, its hooves will work as shells for mood dwarves.  That or go the domestic turtle route.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2010, 06:24:07 pm »

I've actually tried the derigo and the best thing I could come up with was remains, but with no rotting, I can't ever see if they'd turn into something. You could play with the stuff and try to see if you can do it, but you'll probably run into the same thing I did... an un-named set of remains.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2010, 06:27:01 pm »

fwee.... ;p 

I'll give it a shot, I guess, but I've not even attempted to make my own custom reactions before.  I've copypastad a couple, so I know how to set them up correctly, but configuring my own I haven't tried.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2010, 10:02:31 pm »

it's complicated somewhat and very agitating when they don't work.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29