Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning rooms?  (Read 626 times)

levohS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Assigning rooms?
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »

I build bedrooms with bed, table, throne, etc. When done I select bed and create bedroom. Eventually someone claims the bedroom.

But I keep seeing them going to eat to stockpiles rather than in their rooms with their comfy stone thrones and tables, and if I make the room an office/dining quarter but leave unassigned they don't claim it.

What am I doing wrong?

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning rooms?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »

I build bedrooms with bed, table, throne, etc. When done I select bed and create bedroom. Eventually someone claims the bedroom.

But I keep seeing them going to eat to stockpiles rather than in their rooms with their comfy stone thrones and tables, and if I make the room an office/dining quarter but leave unassigned they don't claim it.

What am I doing wrong?

generally you want a mass dining hall

it's more in the dwarven style, anyway

no dwarf wants to drink alone in their room
Quickfort utility, Chromafort

runrobotrun 8x8 tileset (early WIP)

soundtrack to your regicide, the Dwarven Mixtape

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:48:49 pm »

Dwarfs are a friendly people. They enjoy eating and drinking in great halls with there buddys, BUT if you want them to eat in there rooms, then 'q' over the table in there room, press 'r' to make it a room (Yes, in the same space as the bedroom) and then assign it to the same dwarf who owns the bedrooms.

This will tell the dwarf that that space is both a bed room for sleeping and a dinning room for eating.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:01:17 pm »

Only bedrooms get claimed automatically by dwarves. If you want to assign someone their own dining room, you need to create a room from the table and manually assign it, as White said.

This will become necessary for some nobles, since they desire their own dining room and study. Keep in mind that making rooms overlap (ie. designating the same room as dining room and bedroom) will decrease the value of the rooms. If you want to keep your nobles satisfied, make them a separate study, bedroom and dining room.

As for your common dwarven folk, I'd suggest that (as said above) you make large dining room with multiple tables and chairs. Note that one table can only be used by one dwarf, so you can't just put down four chairs next to a table and be done with it. However a large hall is easier to make grand (smooth and engrave the walls, place some statues, etc.), so it will generally work better for the common folk.