Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My rat is bleeding from the vagina  (Read 2330 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
My rat is bleeding from the vagina
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:46 pm »

And I don't know what to do. I can't take her to the vet because I can't afford it, and I know that my other rat died awhile ago from something similar.

As for the symptoms: She's peeing reddish brown, she's seemed a bit disoriented and fatigued as of late, and has gotten a bit skinnier (not significantly, I mention this mainly because my other rat wasted away almost to skin and bones with a bloated stomach). I think I've also noticed the smell of rot coming from the pee.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Pathos

Re: My rat is bleeding from the vagina
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »

Check here for info.

And, remember, rat coughs and sneezes spread rat diseases. Always cover your rat's mouth if it's about to rat cough or rat sneeze.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, it's probably likely someone fed them rat poison. So, yeah.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:03:42 am »

Possible kidney infection. Hate to say it bro: time for a valuable lesson in the fleeting Indian summer that is mortality. Thats what pets are for, right?

I toast this next cup of vodka to the fallen. May she battle again at Ratnarok!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »

. I can't take her to the vet because I can't afford it.
[/quote

Thats your problem, dont buy a pet if you cant afford to take care of it.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:18:42 pm »

Huesoo dont be so cruel someone is asking for help and all you are doing is making them feel worse by saying something horrible to them.

I can't help you as I dont know anything abot rats but I am sorry that its in pain. I hope it survives

Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:03 pm »

Maybe take it to the local humane society?

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »

Like I said, it's most likely rat poison. Rat poison for his rat. Someone is poisoning his rats.

I don't think it'd be a kidney infection if the other one had it. It's unlikely, at the least.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:20:05 pm »

Sounds like rat poison,as others have said,or a urinary tract infection.Regardless of what you do now,I'm not seeing a scenario in which the rat lives.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »

If you really don't have an option, then I would recommend going down to a pet store and buying Tetracycline. They sell it in bottles for use in aquariums. Put three or four drops in your rats water. If it has an infection, this could save it. You can get it for less than 10$. If you have any money at all take it to a vet.
This is the same exact anti-biotic they prescribe to rats and humans. I had a pet rat that I rescued from the streets (it was a pet that someone didn't want and released, he was beat up by city-rats and a bit of a runt) whom this helped. Poor people buy them also when they can't get access and have an infection.
If your rat has gets diarrhea, that is normal, but take her off the antibiotics for a bit.
Make sure she is eating, feed her by hand, and find some food that she will eat. Rats will often stop eating on their own when they become very ill, or grow old. Bits of buttered bread, warm oatmeal, or whatever you can get it to eat, a few times a day can convince them to eat enough to make it through a sickness. Be aware that rats will still take food and hide it without eating it.
/not a vet.

edit: Also if you give anti-biotics, and she gets worse, take her off. It might be a fungal-infection or something else that the anti-biotics will make worse.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:57:36 pm by Spreggo »

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »

A tip for the anatomically challenged: urethra =/= vagina. And red-brown urine =/= necessarily blood (this is common in humans for many various reasons -- dehydration for one, which I experienced racing; and a failing liver, as my severely alcoholic mother experienced).

P.S.: Most everything posted in this thread is guaranteed to be conjecture, apocryphal Internet research, and/or faulty House-diagnostician evidence. Veterinary clinic consultation fees are not expensive -- likely less so for a diminutive creature like a hamster/rat.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:26:12 pm »

Well like I said, if there is any way at all to bring it to a vet then do it. But it would be cruel not to offer a advice if that for some reason isn't possible.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 07:30:59 pm »

By the way, a visit to most vets in the U.S. will probably run you 20 or 30 USD for a rat. Depending one what is prescribed, the medicine can be cheap or expensive. Basic stuff is usually very affordable. I'm not sure what country you are in, but definitely weigh your options.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 02:10:17 pm »

If it was a person I'd guess bladder cancer.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »

This has to be the most hilarious thread name I've ever seen.
Not to degrade your rat, man, but...

This is akin to that video where they screw with that crackhead. Funny, but very sad at the same time.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.