Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only in Dwarf Fortress can you...  (Read 1489 times)

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only in Dwarf Fortress can you...
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

Not build stairs on a floor, but instead HAVE to build them on an open space.
>.<
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only in Dwarf Fortress can you...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:22:04 pm »

Yea, the construction system is kind of annoying and/or unintuitive. You can remove floors though, and stairs also act like a floor for the purposes of travel/pathing, but have the added benefit of being able to change Z-levels on that tile.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »

I kinda figured that out fairly quickly on my own. I still wonder from time to time why stairs are built in two sections a time.
Not only that, said floor only matters if its constructed!
[I'd say that the dwarfen tendency to leave themselves stranded on the wrong side of a wall is a more annoying problem they have.
...and why are you building floors anyway? Dwarfs work best when underground, not in some artificial aboveground construct. Why do you think they throw up when they leave the confines of their underground adobes and stray into the light of a callous and uncaring sun?]

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52:19 pm »

I kinda figured that out fairly quickly on my own. I still wonder from time to time why stairs are built in two sections a time.
Not only that, said floor only matters if its constructed!
[I'd say that the dwarfen tendency to leave themselves stranded on the wrong side of a wall is a more annoying problem they have.
...and why are you building floors anyway? Dwarfs work best when underground, not in some artificial aboveground construct. Why do you think they throw up when they leave the confines of their underground adobes and stray into the light of a callous and uncaring sun?]

Caverns maybe?

Observation balconies?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:57:20 pm »

Indoor waste disposal site?

Helps prevent the afore-mentioned problem.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »

*MY* dwarves don't throw up when they go outside (what with all the workshops being outside)!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »

Can I retract my statement? A fortress built entirely in a cavern sounds awesome, and I'd like to reword what I said so that it allows for this to still be in-character for them.
[We all know that dwarfs inherently have the ability to spend months not doing a jot of work, so I'll just assume that this is just their way of getting out of a job - in a rare display of actually breaking the laws of the universe in the opposite direction, dwarfs will say that since there's a floor on the tile there can't be a stairway here.
When it is mentioned to the aforementioned dwarf that this is in direct contradiction to countless other examples of stuff occupying a single tile in numbers that are simply ludicrous... the dwarf tries to switch the topic of the conversation to the weather.
Whoever is issuing said command is feeling at once extremely annoyed at this blatant laziness and confusion at why a dwarf is talking about the weather.]

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:45:12 pm »

I like to build floors and outdoor areas for several reasons. First, an outdoor courtyard allows for the siting of outdoor refuse piles, which do not leave miasma or offensive sights for the dwarfs. Second, by taking over a large outdoor area, I can get a helluva lot more storage space, whether that's for food, trade goods, or whatever. Thirdly, between an underground meeting zone and my outdoor defenses, the entrance dance can be nigh eliminated, especially if the distance from enemy to entrance is large enough. So, yeah. Lotsa utility in building an outdoor compound, though the bulk of your fortress should always be below-ground. Mind you, I'm still playing with 40d, haven't done enough with DF2010 to comment.

Also, there's nothing inherently wrong with building floors, especially when it leads to carpeting a noble's room in platinum or summat, or when it prevents major catastrophe, like when I floor over any access point to unfiltered magma, or when I floor over the hole which would otherwise result in flooding my fortress with magma.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »

In those cases I'll have to agree that floors are essential. I'm not saying that outside areas and constructions are bad (all forts need them to a degree) - just that they aren't all that dorfy in my eyes.
If constructed floors aren't needed, though, I'd rather stick with dug-out stone; in most cases it's far easier to expand upon, and if I need to increase the wealth level for a room I can always just have my engraver cover the entire thing in *engravings* for a fast way to go about this, instead of having to rely on statues and the like.
Also, in any case I'm still using .28, as I'm still fairly new to the game.