Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two-Handed weapons  (Read 1978 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two-Handed weapons
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:44:45 pm »

I've heard that in the new version, two-handed weapons aren't as powerful if only used with one hand instead of two. But, what I don't know is how do you hold a weapon with both your hands?

Can anyone confirm the one-handed nerf?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Two-Handed weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

I've heard that in the new version, two-handed weapons aren't as powerful if only used with one hand instead of two. But, what I don't know is how do you hold a weapon with both your hands?

The only way I know how to hold a weapon in both hands is to get it stuck in an enemy and then drop it. Then, attempt to wrestle the enemy and grab the weapon with both hands before stepping back.

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:35:43 pm »

The only way I know how to hold a weapon in both hands is to get it stuck in an enemy and then drop it. Then, attempt to wrestle the enemy and grab the weapon with both hands before stepping back.

That's so...
Intuitive.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »

That's so...
Intuitive.

Dwarf 1: Hey, does anyone know how to hold a weapon with both hands? Every time I try to do it I just end up punching myself in the face.

Dwarf 2: Ack sure, just watch. First you need to set it someplace sturdy.

*Dwarf 2 embeds his ax in a near by elf*

Elf: AHHHHHHRRRGHAAAHH OOOH WOODY GODS WHY?!

Dwarf 2:And then you wrap both hands around the handle and give her a firm yank.

*Dwarf 2 tears ax out of the elf*

Elf: gurgle gurgle soy gurgle gurgle tofu gurgle

Dwarf 2: And thats how ye do it.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »

Make sure you have nothing in your other hand.
That's it. Just remember to P ut anything you pick up away.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:44:08 pm »

I have heard the same.  Anecdotally, it seems easier to sever limbs if you aren't using a shield.

That's it. Just remember to [P]ut anything you pick up away.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:58 pm »

That's it. Just remember to P ut anything you pick up away.

I have been able to 2h a battleaxe this way.  xD
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:52:23 am »

Yea I always use two handed swords whenever possible.  To wield it two handed you just have to drop or put your shield in your backpack and yer guy will automatically 'multigrasp' the weapon.  The game automatically places things you pick up in your off hand so you have the slight annoyance of having to do the extra step of putting the item in your backpack after you pick it up.  But if yer picking up alot of stuff, like looting a cave or something you only need to do it for the first item.

As for whether wielding a weapon 2 handed is more effective I remember in the damage formula in 40d you only did something like half damage after all the calculations were done, if you were using a two handed weapon in one hand.  And I had experienced it myself even before the damage calculation was released.  But the damage calcs have most certainly changed now, so I'm gunna do some arena testing.  Be back with the results

Test1: Human(Controlled) vs Elephant(AI). While holding a shield the parts were severed 2/3 times (last being the head) However the one time that a part was not severed the attack only 'dented the muscle'.  But that wasn't a very big amount for testing, I want more.

Test2: Went badly because the elephant was fully decked out in armor because of my own stupidity. Wielding the sword two handed or I handed showed no difference, nothing could penetrate the armor.

Test3: Also went badly.  The elephant kicked my guy in the head the moment he got in range jamming the skull through my brain killing me.  The game isn't caring much for science it seems.

Test4: Finally gets some results. dent muscle, briuse bone, briuse muscle, tear muscle, shatter bone, shatter bone, shatter bone, tear muscle, tear muscle, tear muscleandbriuselung, shatter bone when wielding the weapon 1 handed.  And....ah crap...

After all that it seems you can't multigrasp a weapon in the arena.  Perhaps using the method of getting it stuck in and then grabbing it with both hands while it's stuck in would work, but the critter would probably hurt me too much or I hurt it too much while trying to get the weapon in both hands.  Well fudge.

Did the method outlined above and I got the weapon without dying or hurting the victim too much.  But it appears to be bugged.  I am now dual wielding two two handed swords.  I appear to have duplicated it.

I give up, I can't get anything to happen consistently, now with another subject he seems happy to multigrasp his sword.  But since this is a diffrent guy his attributes could throw the results off.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:29:58 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »

Actually in the 40d you had just 1/2 of your attack roll if you wielded a two-handed weapon with 1 hand. I don't know how is it in the new version.

Also if you have a 2-handed weapon and both of your hands are free from other stuff, you see "multigrasp" which means that you wield it properly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository