Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [4e, Scales of War] GAME HAS STARTED.  (Read 22013 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [4e, Scales of War]
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:23 am »

;_; I like sneak attack.

But, I can always make a Warlock if need be...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2010, 04:42:31 pm »

Goddamn Rogues.

@EJ: you haven't put your equipment on the sheet, you've got 100gp to spend. Like 3.5, it's advisable to buy as much of the starting equipment list as is humanly dragonbornly possible. Also, an important tip for Warlords:

You don't need to be a front-line fighter. Your job is support and tactical movements, so a ranged or reach weapon is good. I recommend the Longspear, as it's the cheapest (only 10gp) reach weapon you can wield, and it does the same-ish amount damage as the others. Take around 3-4 javelins if you want a ranged option.

I've been doing some testing, and it seems to me that the Leader is a great boon when it comes to aiding the Defender in soaking damage, at least on a balanced, 4-man team.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »

Does this team look like either of those things?

Currently, I've got to choose from:

3 Defenders (two Wardens and a Fighter)
3 Strikers (Goddamn Rogues)
1 Controller. (Wizard)
1 Leader. (Warlord)

Even after I cut a Defender and a Striker (since three of each is not a good idea) , there will be enough Defenders to cover meat-shield roles, and enough Strikers to kill things dead, so the Warlord in this party will be doing a lot of support actions and healing of the tanks. The Wizard should probably focus on screwing with the battlefield and the mooks in/on it.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »

I'll try making a cleric tomorrow, if we still have time.  That'll give us another buffer and healer, at least.

Only thing is choosing feats is confusing the hell out of me.  Can I really pick Heroic Tier feats at level 1?  What the hell are these Divine Powers and so on I can't find any mention of in any wiki?  Similarly, how do these fit into my domain?  What the hell are these god related feats?  When the hell am I ever gonna make a stat check against HEAL!?

*Leafsnail's head explodes*

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:31 pm »

I'll try making a cleric tomorrow, if we still have time.  That'll give us another buffer and healer, at least.

Only thing is choosing feats is confusing the hell out of me.  Can I really pick Heroic Tier feats at level 1?  What the hell are these Divine Powers and so on I can't find any mention of in any wiki?  Similarly, how do these fit into my domain?  What the hell are these god related feats?  When the hell am I ever gonna make a stat check against HEAL!?

*Leafsnail's head explodes*

Okay, okay.

3 Player's Handbooks and a Divine-focused Splatbook is a lot to take in.

There are three tiers in D&D4e, Heroic, Paragon, and Epic. Heroic is 1-10, Paragon is 11-20, Epic is 21-30.
At Heroic, it's pretty standard fare. Romping around the countryside, killing kobolds and goblins, save kidnapped people, etc. Towards the end of the tier, things start to get more unusual.
Paragon is where crap starts to hits that fan. At the start of Paragon, you'll be doing stuff like running into dimension-hopping Outsiders, either Good or Evil, who will try to either hire or kill you, depending on their mood at the time. About halfway through, you could end up in Sigil, jumping from dimension to dimension via portals and starting to piss off demons or/and gods. Top end Paragon is about preparing you for Epic. At the start of the tier, you'll choose a Paragon Path, which replace 3.5s Prestige Classes, but they level along with your base class. Through Paragon Paths you can pick up things like, for example, wings, attack powers that hit everything within 25 feet of you, add special effects to your already existing powers.
Epic is.... Half of the PCs in the party will be able to fly around at will by this point, and the other half will be doing similarly crazy things. When you hit Epic, you choose an Epic Destiny. Epic Destinies are the end game, and help you retire the character. They all a contingency plan for death. One for rangers and rogues lets you, literally, walk death off, while one for the wizard turns you into a creature made of pure magical energy. One, open to every class, is Demigod. Here, you're punching minor gods in the face, laying siege to hell, fighting armies made up of the worst whatever plane you're on can throw at you, becoming Archmages, Kings, Minor Deities (sometimes actual Deities).

Domains depend on the god you worship. There are two Domain feats for each Domain, and three Domains for each god. Domain feats give you alternate ways (those Divine Powers(Also, that could be the splatbook, it has that name.)) to use your Channel Divinity class feature, or are just a feat that provides a nice little bonus to something related to the domain.

And to your last: Context please? (not the head explosion)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:26:19 pm by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2010, 07:22:31 pm »

I'll fix up my backstory now.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

Oi Akig: Runepriest is a leader :P

He is right about the Warlord though; Warlords are 'second line Leaders', they're at their best when they're standing behind the Defender and poking things with a Reach weapon.

Unless you are a Bravura Warlord, in which case you're at your best when you're three squares in front of the Defenders, getting surrounded and are about to die. But that's just how Bravura Warlords roll.

Also, fun fact: 4e Party Composition, once you have 1 of each, you want to add 1 defender every 5 members, 1 leader every 4 members and 1 controller every 6 - 8 members.

So 'ideal' party makeup basically goes - Defender Striker Leader Controller Striker Striker Leader Defender Striker Controller Striker Leader Defender Striker Striker Striker Controller.

You can never have to many Strikers. Controllers, Leaders and Defenders can become redundant if you have too many, although all-leader and all-defender parties are viable (all-controller parties less so) and both are actually surprisingly effective, although combats take longer with them. But Strikers never become redundant; you can always benefit from more damage.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:38:51 pm by Neruz »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »

Yeah, but three goddamn Rogues? I'd rather have variety than DAMAGEASAS.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »

you can always benefit from more DAKKA.
  :D
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »

Should I make a Warlock, then?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »

Oi Akig: Runepriest is a leader :P

Somehow I missed the gleaming golden gnostic. Okay, so I have two leaders to choose from.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »

Should I make a Warlock, then?

As somone new to the system, i'd advise against it.
Warlocks are one of the hardest Strikers to play due to the fact that they are heavily hybridised with Controllers. Most roles have a primary role and then secondary or tertiary roles. Warlocks actually have two primary roles (Striker and Controller) that makes them extremely complicated and surprisingly difficult to play well (especially if you're not a Hellock).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »

Oh. Thanks for the heads up :P
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »

I think Feylocks are awesome. But I'm biased, and it was hard work using that sort of character to great effect. Paid off memorably, though.

You want a simple striker, Acanthus? Go Ranger, get a longbow, kill shit.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:14 pm »

The simplest Striker in the game is the Ranger; this is mostly because the Ranger is pretty much pure 100% Striker, which means his game mechanics pretty much literally revolve around "Quarry target. Shoot\Stab target until dead. Repeat", other Strikers tend to mix up with other roles, which makes things trickier.

Feylocks are one of the most Controllery Warlock builds; they have pretty much the lowest damage output of any Striker, but they can throw status effects around like lunatics and you can build some really funky tricks out of their Pact Boon.

As a Feylock, you don't get the normal Striker satisfaction of throwing half a million dice everywhere and going "I do that much damage :3", but you do get the satisfaction of going "I am invisible and teleporting ten squares every round. Try and catch me."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13