Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [4e, Scales of War] GAME HAS STARTED.  (Read 22018 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [4e, Scales of War]
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2010, 02:08:51 am »

You've got too many feats there: you only get 1 at level 1, but you've got 3 (Backstabber, Weapon Prof Rapier and Weapon Prof Parrying Dagger).

From an optimisation standpoint the 14 Int is also a waste of time, but you have at least a 16 in Dex, so you won't be incapable at combat, just less effective than you could be.

Apart from that and the fact that you apparantly have 2 Shuriken for no reason i can ascertain, it looks fine.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2010, 02:19:21 am »

Yeah, I'ff you're going to buy throwing weapons, at least buy like 10, so you have some ammo to spare.

Also, weapon profs?

Not really worth it at first level, especially for those ones.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:29 am »

Parrying Dagger is worthwhile for some extra defence and access to the TWF tree; which means moar damage on your mainhand. But the Rapier is definitely the underdog of the Light Blades, being strictly inferior to the Dagger (for Rogues).

iirc, there's a couple of Swordmage builds that make reasonable use of the Rapier. But generally it's not a very good weapon, and since you've only got 16 Dex, using a Rapier over a Dagger will hurt you in combat, as you're down at least 2 to hit (+1 for Dagger, +1 for 18 Dex) on an optimised Rogue.

It's not a huge issue or anything, but i think it's only fair to warn you that you will find that using a 16 Dex Rapier Rogue does have a negative impact on your combat capability. It's not like 'OMG U'LL NEVER DO ANYTHING', but you will be a bit behind the curve.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:39 am »

I thought that Akigakak said that weapon expertise feats were free.

OK, I'll fix up the whole weapons thing. ;D thanks.

The 14 INT is from the +2 that all Dopplegangers get, and I will use a dagger now. Thanks, guys~

*also fixing up :P*

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2010, 04:13:20 am »

The 14 INT is from the +2 that all Dopplegangers get, and I will use a dagger now. Thanks, guys~

Expertise, not Proficiency.

Expertise feats add +1 to attack rolls per Tier (+1 at Heroic, +2 at Paragon, +3 at Epic).

And yeah: But Int is a Rogue dump stat; nothing Rogues do uses Int, so ideally from an optimisation perspective you should have 10 Int (8 + 2) and put those 4 points somewhere else, like Str, Cha or Con.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2010, 04:21:29 am »

Expertise, not Proficiency.

Expertise feats add +1 to attack rolls per Tier (+1 at Heroic, +2 at Paragon, +3 at Epic).

And yeah: But Int is a Rogue dump stat; nothing Rogues do uses Int, so ideally from an optimisation perspective you should have 10 Int (8 + 2) and put those 4 points somewhere else, like Str, Cha or Con.
Ahhhh! Thanks! I'm not so good at this sorta optimizing stuff.

I have a question. I saw this feat, called Melee Training. It lets you change the stat used for melee attacks... Does this apply to powers when rolling damage for your weapon?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2010, 04:24:13 am »

No, as it says in the feat description it only applies to the power "Melee Basic Attack"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2010, 04:29:51 am »

Damn. Oh well.

So as for weapons, should I just take a dagger, a short sword and a hand-crossbow? Or am I missing something?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2010, 04:34:37 am »

Unless you have a reason to assume you're going to need to engage enemies at long range, just get a brace of daggers. You can toss them at enemies for short ranged attacks, and once you get a magic one it'll return to your hand.

The atypical Rogue build pretty much has no reason to ever use anything except a Dagger; that's why the Martial Power books add new Rogue Class Features and Powers that make Crossbows, Slings, Maces and Clubs attractive Rogue options; to add some variaty.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2010, 04:57:22 am »

Alright, here's Eris 2.0, complete with fixes! If there's nothing wrong with it, I'll add the backstory.

YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2010, 05:42:00 am »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=203139

Mythweavers sheet.

Stuff will probably be missing. Just tell me what is and I'll get around to fixing it.

Unfortunately, no background yet. Weapons and items list to be put in.

So is there nothing wrong with this sheet?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:29 am »

He's not reviewing them till Friday.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2010, 10:15:10 am »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=203615

Here's my mythweavers sheet.

Just gonna add the backstory after I sleep.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:31 am »

Goddamn Rogues.

@EJ: you haven't put your equipment on the sheet, you've got 100gp to spend. Like 3.5, it's advisable to buy as much of the starting equipment list as is humanly dragonbornly possible. Also, an important tip for Warlords:

You don't need to be a front-line fighter. Your job is support and tactical movements, so a ranged or reach weapon is good. I recommend the Longspear, as it's the cheapest (only 10gp) reach weapon you can wield, and it does the same-ish amount damage as the others. Take around 3-4 javelins if you want a ranged option.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:20 am »

Everyone be a rogue.  Party of rogues.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13