Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [4e, Scales of War] GAME HAS STARTED.  (Read 22015 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: D&D for unhappy roleplayers/gamers. [Version Undecided]
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

Heh, If i can play, I'll be TRUE NEUTRAL.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2010, 01:24:44 am »

*spends 20 minutes talking to themselves about the merits of 3.5 and 4e*
*finishes with a satisfying bout of maniacal laughter*
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2010, 07:26:15 am »

*excludes RAM for being stupid*

Anyway, it's an even split between 4e, 3.5, and 'don't mind which' so far. Oh, and PF got one. If the balance doesn't shift over the next day or so, I'll roll for it.

Incidentally, we'll be using this dice roller.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:33:40 am by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2010, 08:45:30 am »

If I can, can I get in on this?

Oh and if this changes anyones mind about using either 3.5 or 4E. 3.5 is a hell of a lot easer to organise games over the itnernet with people who don't have the books because of this resource:

http://www.d20srd.org/

All the core rules for 3.5, including homebrew stuff (variant rules), psionics, divine rules and epic rules. As well as links to d20 Dice Bag, d20 Encounter Calculator, d20 Monster Filter, d20 Spell Filter. I'm not sure 4E has nothing to this extent (correct me if I'm wrong?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:47:35 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2010, 09:16:06 am »

It doesn't, because of the amount of homebrew systems that sprung up after the SRD was released for 3.5.
PF has one, though.

I should point out however, that if you just use the SRD you miss out on many of the things that were added to 3.5 in a vain attempt to balance it out, such as Tome of Battle.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:35 am »

Aren't there those homebrew fix-em-up thingies that make 3.5e more balanced, especially for melee dudes? If so, I'd switch my vote to 3.5 in a flash.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:30 am »

Aren't there those homebrew fix-em-up thingies that make 3.5e more balanced, especially for melee dudes? If so, I'd switch my vote to 3.5 in a flash.

Not homebrew, you'll need the book.
Guess how they tried to balance Melee with Casters?

They gave them spells and called them maneuvers. It's essentially proto-4e, only more limiting in what it can do.

They still don't come close to the power/expolitability of magic, though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2010, 09:36:11 am »

What

But if we can balance them, I'd love to play 3.5. Also, I know this really cool site where making 3.5 characters will be easy peasy. Simply plug in numbers, and ka-boom! there's your char.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:38:48 am by Acanthus117 »
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2010, 10:00:53 am »

I am sure that a mature, intelligent group of people can police themselves. Clerics, turn attempts are supposed to be useless. Fighters, once you start tripling your damage something is probably wrong. Sorcerers and Wizards, choose your spells at random, it'll be more exciting that way. Druids, if you are drooling then you should stop looking at it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:46 am »

So, if we go for 3.5, what character are you thinking of playing as? I'm thinking of either a rogue/fighter, a paladin focused on buffing the group or a warlock.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

So, if we go for 3.5, what character are you thinking of playing as? I'm thinking of either a rogue/fighter,
IIRC, there are alternate class features for the fighter that lets them gain rouge-like features. At the cost of, IIRC, the bonus feats. Not sure, though.

a paladin focused on buffing the group
Paladins don't buff people, they smite evil. Clerics buff people.

or a warlock.
Eh. Warlocks are pretty under powered.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2010, 12:22:51 pm »

I'm not overly interested in playing but I tend to play a neutral/lawful good monk. Monk's are my favorite but I find that 4e messed em up.

I believe I succeed at playing a non annoying lawful good who does what they can to help people, be they players or npcs. unfortunately I tend to always get stuck with chaotic stupid characters who's first reaction to my character is to break every law and screw every npc over in any way possible.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »

I'm not overly interested in playing but I tend to play a neutral/lawful good monk. Monk's are my favorite but I find that 4e messed em up.

Now, lolwut.
4e monks are great fun, and are actually playable and capable of holding their own.
3.5 monks, not so much. Some of their class features don't work together (bonus speed is nice, flurry is okay, being unable to use both sucks) they rely on way to many abilities (Str/Dex/Wis/Con/Int), and don't have full BAB (which is demented for a melee class).

If we go 3.5, and you want to play a monk-type character, I'll introduce you to the Unarmed Swordsage variant.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2010, 01:53:28 pm »

What.

3.5E Monks were completely imba. They didn't have to buy gear, they could take feats like "improved grab" which meant they got a grapple check on every attack, at high levels they could exceed the speed of light. They're more than capable of holding their own.

I think you are mistaken, good sir.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

What.

3.5E Monks were completely imba. They didn't have to buy gear, they could take feats like "improved grab" which meant they got a grapple check on every attack, at high levels they could exceed the speed of light. They're more than capable of holding their own.

I think you are mistaken, good sir.

Before this becomes a 3.5 monk argument. No. Vs a Fighter of the same level, and same level of optimization, and WBL, the fighter will kill the monk dead. The fighter has better to-hit rolls, better ac, better damage, more feats, likely higher dex, and more hp. The monk has more attacks (that are more likely to miss), and an increased move speed. Not that he can make use of both of those things at the same time. Imp Grab? There's nothing stopping a fighter taking that feat, along with every other feat that the monk could get for free.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13