Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The adamentine is a trap!!! *spoiler*  (Read 1767 times)

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The adamentine is a trap!!! *spoiler*
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »

my colony was flourishing, i had food and booze to go around, my miners had just made a new discovery, a great deposit of raw adamentine ore, there was celebration, we would drink tonight, then there was nothing but screams:(, just remember sometimes it really is too good to be true. My fortress has succumbed to the darkness, may the few survivors warn the world, a new age of darkness is upon us.

it went something like this.i broke through 3 tiles into the pit at once, i heard the message luckily my miners where also masons so they quickly put up a wall, but it was too late, 2 walls where up when they arrived, my brave legendary miner charged in to try and finish the wall but a blanket of flames covered him and he was no more(well after a few minutes of running on fire, then falling unconscious, then being beaten up by 8 demons from hell for a bit)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:37:04 pm by zeke47 »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The adamentine is a trap!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »

Um, two things you should know.

1: Everyone here already knows this.

2: When we talk about it, we put spoiler tags in case someone sneaks in *without* knowing about it.

But, in any case, congratulations, and welcome to Dwarf Fortress.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »

Spoiler tagz plz lol

We do not discuss clownite openly just for people such as yourself  :-X Congrats for releasing the clowns, sounds like you had Fun?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »

Damn you for getting to the clownite.

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for almost a year or two, and I've never stumbled upon the fabled material yet.

No, seriously: Well done, you got yourself killed.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »

i played once before, the tutorial they had up for d40 version, yea it was fun, but i had just started to get ready to pum[p magma up(making the parts for the pumps and digging the hole), so i was kinda sad, can i still switch the title to say spoiler, also just tried something, i made my town ontop of an elf town and now there are elfs around the place, does this have any negetive impact on me building a fortress or could i use them as cannon fodder from goblin attacks?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:37 pm »

Damn you for getting to the clownite.

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for almost a year or two, and I've never stumbled upon the fabled material yet.

No, seriously: Well done, you got yourself killed.

Why haven't you tried anything with the site finder? Though, I understand it's a lot more common now.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The adamentine is a trap!!! *spoiler*
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »

I did, but for some reason I always managed to miss out on it.

Guess that's my luck.

Although I did SEE it a few days ago. Somewhere unreachable one Z-level down into the magma sea in the 2010 version - Hurray.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 01:52:41 pm »

I did, but for some reason I always managed to miss out on it.

Guess that's my luck.

Although I did SEE it a few days ago. Somewhere unreachable one Z-level down into the magma sea in the 2010 version - Hurray.
You just need to explore the lower z-levels more. In 0.31 it's hard not to get adamantine... just go searching around the levels above the sea sinking exploratory shafts until you get the message. Then tunnel around above it until you find a convenient access point.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:16:03 pm »

You know, just putting *spoiler* in the topic doesn't do anything, considering you're still spoiling the surprise with the topic itself.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »

You know, just putting *spoiler* in the topic doesn't do anything, considering you're still spoiling the surprise with the topic itself.
Not so. Adamantine (NOT Adamantite, nust thought  I'd put that in there) is listed in the forges, stockpiles, RAWs, anywhere you can find normal materials that you don't have. Not a spoiler, in fact, that's the majority of the reason your dwarves are there in the first place (Probably)!

However, the Darkness Below *is* a spoiler, and should be alluded to but never directly said. This encourages new players to dig deeper in search of the fabled *fun*.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »

Not so. Adamantine (NOT Adamantite, nust thought  I'd put that in there) is listed in the forges, stockpiles, RAWs, anywhere you can find normal materials that you don't have. Not a spoiler, in fact, that's the majority of the reason your dwarves are there in the first place (Probably)!

However, the Darkness Below *is* a spoiler, and should be alluded to but never directly said. This encourages new players to dig deeper in search of the fabled *fun*.

Adamntine isn't necessarily a spoiler, but "is a trap!!!" is a bit of a spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 02:57:38 pm »

Adamntine isn't necessarily a spoiler, but "is a trap!!!" is a bit of a spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, such things usually encourage me to try them as soon as humanly possible (still remember that "Be careful with magmafalls").
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

Try finding Fun five z-levels above the top of the Magma Sea.

Make sure you do this when you've completely owned 40d HFS, for extra HSQ.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:33 pm »

Try finding Fun five z-levels above the top of the Magma Sea.

Make sure you do this when you've never even touched adamantine before. Ever.
Speaking of Fun, is the old clown car still there somewhere? I heard there are two types of HFS, but did anyone hit the ol' clown car, or is it <redacted> and nothing more?

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 03:38:07 pm »

Change the topic name to something that wont ruin the game for newbies
Pages: [1] 2