Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unpack or cave-in  (Read 703 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unpack or cave-in
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:27 am »

after plugging up a couple of UG rivers I have started wondering.  Should I bother to unpack my wagon at the start of a map or just drop the whole thing down 3-7 levels and make it's new location my refuse pile/statue garden (with a little wall around the top)?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpack or cave-in
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:32 am »

I'm pretty sure if you drop the wagon it'll deconstruct, spewing your goods everywhere.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:33 am »

All constructions are deconstructed on cave in.  Your wagon will deconstruct and spew stuff all over the place.  There is also no guarantee that the goods inside will all survive.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:01 pm »

Make a garbage dump right next to your wagon. A simple stair plus channel next to it is easy enough, and you can easily control where the goods fall. Should only take a few minutes if it is right next to the wagon, since the dwarves will just pitch the goods straight in and not move.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »

Make a garbage dump right next to your wagon. A simple stair plus channel next to it is easy enough, and you can easily control where the goods fall. Should only take a few minutes if it is right next to the wagon, since the dwarves will just pitch the goods straight in and not move.
DOH! Great idea.  Especially because for the first couple of days my dwarves are mostly idle if they are hauling the wagon goods.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.