Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well.... That was disappointing...  (Read 896 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well.... That was disappointing...
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:08 am »

OK, now some of you might know that I posted a Thread about this cave with a dragon guarding it...
Well I took another crack at it, this time NOT allowing myself to Dig a back door but aim to take the front. With or without killing the dragon. Without preferred so I could capture and see if you can tame Current residents...

Well I brought with me some Bars to make some Armour and weapons, and a Skilled Axemen instead of a Woodcutter. And got him equipped with some gear...

Some Naked Mole Dogs (Blasted thing Guzzled some booze, didn't know they could do that) annoyed my workers as they shifted the wagon's contents into a more, zerg rush storage so I could slip them past the Dragon if possible (it was camping on the OTHER side of the Entrance this time, not directly on it. And send my Axeman into the cave to route the Trogs that proved difficult to get past before.

The Axeman marched to the entrance and began to walk in.... Oh hey the dragon... He dashed down the side of the hill towards it and well...

He kills it, with no problem. Heck he baits the damn thing into charging the wall and began to Hack at its rear legs and shit, and the thing continues to charge at him after that. ALL LAST MAP THE DAMN THING BREATHED FIRE AT EVERYTHING THAT CAME AT IT, This time he didn't...

My FAV Part is the Battle report...
Two key parts of it...

You breath Fire! Damn right I do. Didn't want him to kill it...
You are no longer stunned. Well I am confused now instead...

This is no fair... Should I Scum it and try again? Or do I just continue with it, cause clearly I have a KICK ASS Militia Commander...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well.... That was disappointing...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:53 am »

Currently there is no "only beat this thing up to within an inch of its life so we can take it prisoner" concept in combat. It's a "Kill or Die" situation, where the death might be due to thirst or starvation (the 'dwarves work themselves to death' bug from a feature overacting) if you're unlucky and (while using blunt weapons) don't get a crit over several in-game months' worth of time (combat is unbalanced currently, it's a known issue).

If you wanted to capture the dragon, you needed to set cage traps and lure the dragon into one. Any material will do for the cage, even plain wood or glass, nothing can escape a cage once trapped inside (consider them Time Stasis devices that still let specimens age naturally). Taming that dragon is another matter - it can be done (I think, check their raw file to be sure, looking for [PET_EXOTIC]), but needs a Dungeon Master dwarf to come to your fort (which only happens once your fort is big enough).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

OK, just to let you know Psieye. Current Residents gain Trap Immune even if their creature file says that it should not.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »

Urist wants another dragon. This one did not work properly.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.