Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Taste and fruit?  (Read 2707 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Taste and fruit?
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:27 am »

I'm curious about how different people react to the flavors of fruit.  I like bananas for their light sweetness, but can't stand strawberries because they taste so tart to me.  I can live with apples, but they get boring.  Don't like pineapple at all.  Yet I know a friend who loves pinapple, and another who can't stand bananas because they're too sweet for her.

So is it all personal taste, or do people's taste buds come in wildly different varieties?  ???

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Taste and fruit?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:39:54 am »

If you consider the variation in mindset among mankind, and such things as oh say... allergies. Does varying tastes seem so odd?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:12:49 am »

Well let me see

I dislike Raspberries in all forms... except Raspberry Jam which is the ONLY Jam I like.

I love Olives but I can't eat them after a while. My mother hates olives and pickles but likes Relish.

You can even Acquire tastes

It is complicated and both physical and psychological

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:04 am »

I love all fruit but hate fruit ice-cream and cakes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:48 am »

I love pineapple and blueberries myself.

My tastebuds aren't real picky and I like alot of different kinds of fruit.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:06 am »

Best fruit is the one filtered through good, juicy steak :D
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:35:02 am »

I enjoy blackberries and strawberries. Apparently artificial strawberry flavor is pretty spot on. Pineapple is really citrus-y, but tastes great in small amounts. Ever since I went to Fiji, no other fresh pineapple tastes as good.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:17:57 pm »

I've never found a fruit i didn't like. Though Banana's really are so-so.

My favorite part of a fruit, ANY fruit. Is the Juice. I don't even really taste the actual solid. But the juice, oh god, the juice.

Orange juice is the best. Naval oranges are wicked awesome. And yet, prepackaged juice never tastes as sweet.

Apple's are second best.

I wish i could get the taste of the juice from the fruit IN juice form, So i wouldn't have to eat 4 apples or oranges to really satisfy me.

Sidenote: Artificial grape is the worst beverage on the planet. YUCK! (Real grape juice/grapes are GREAT)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:20:05 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:33:09 pm »

I like blackberries, strawberries, and pineapple, but not raspberries, bananas, or blueberries.  My favorites are probably tangerine and cherry, but honeydew melon is very nice.  Don't like pear, grapefruit, or currants.

So, in essence: I like them very sweet and tart, without much interest in bland or sour fruits.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

I don't like fruit. only thing I eat are strawberries , but only rarely. I suppose that it isn't good for my health.

Actually, I love olives and could eat tonnes of them, but that is not what people usually think when you say "fruit"

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »

Hate bananas

I INHALE raspberries.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

Varying tastes isn't so odd in itself, but the reasons why they vary vexes me so.  Do taste buds vary by a lot, therefore some people may dislike certain fruits because their tongues say the fruit is overly sweet or sour?  Or are our taste buds all about the same, thus it's truly about... personal taste?

Oh right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_buds
Quote from: Wikipedia
Contrary to popular understanding that different tastes map to different areas of the tongue, taste qualities are found in all areas of the tongue, although some regions are more sensitive than others.
Intriguing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »

I generally like most fruits, although red apples are the most horrible thing ever to me. Needs to be green man. And then grapefruit, because they just don't have enough appealing flavor to offset the bitter plant taste. And I suppose non-processed avocado. But other than those I like all fruit that I have tried.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:03:01 am »

I love all fruit. I eat crab apples off the tree and tomatoes by the desk. I am getting a bit tired of bananas though...
Did you know cats like all kinds of fruit... but bananas?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:04 am »

I eat lemons.

You're all a bunch of pussies.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: [1] 2 3