Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WEBS GRRRRRRR  (Read 3334 times)

boltyhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
WEBS GRRRRRRR
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:13:15 pm »

i reckon it should be set up so that dwarves try to find paths around webs cause once i had my fort wiped out by a forgotten one because a dwarf got stuck in a web and stopped making a wall the cavern was about 5 wide and my dwarf chose the place with a web on it

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WEBS GRRRRRRR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:42 pm »

I also think that it is silly that dwarves who get caught once will keep getting caught.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

boltyhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:12 pm »

a legendary mason of mine got caught once and a bat swooped down and killed him

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:46 am »

Why don't we have actual spiders near webs anymore anyway? Stuff is just strewn around in the mud for apparently no reason.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »

I don't know about your case, but in my caverns, I presumed the inhabiting trolls and troglodytes ate all the spiders and left their webs behind because they were pretty.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:27:16 am »

Why don't we have actual spiders near webs anymore anyway? Stuff is just strewn around in the mud for apparently no reason.

They're still there. Had a fort in a muddy cavern and collected all the webs in my walled off area. After a while i noticed little gray dots that left behind more webs. And yes i checked to make sure they were cave spiders.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:38:13 am »

Samesies.  Spiders are oot and aboot.  And they eat other vermin, too.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:05:42 am »

All the web I've found thus far has belonged to the giant variety but they're nowhere to be seen.

boltyhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

sure there nowhere to be seen..... and then all of a sudden OMFG ITS AN S

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:24 pm »

All the web I've found thus far has belonged to the giant variety but they're nowhere to be seen.

Well doesn't the game say
"YOU'VE SPOTTED A GIANT CAVE SPIDER"
whenever you do encounter one?

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »

the real issue here is, if your dwarfs see the webs and just path around them, then the webs are basically useless unless there is a wall of them, but as they are now, they don't ever see them and just walk into them endlessly.

It'd be nice if there were a sort of midway solution, like dwarfs don't see them, but may clear them safely if they pass a check of some sort (perhaps agility check?)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:09 pm »

the real issue here is, if your dwarfs see the webs and just path around them, then the webs are basically useless unless there is a wall of them, but as they are now, they don't ever see them and just walk into them endlessly.

It'd be nice if there were a sort of midway solution, like dwarfs don't see them, but may clear them safely if they pass a check of some sort (perhaps agility check?)

I'd think spatial and/or kinesthetic awareness.  Or the observer skill to notice the webs.  There's certainly enough detail to dwarves now to come up with some explanation for more detailed behavior around webs.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:06:51 pm »

I'd think spatial and/or kinesthetic awareness.  Or the observer skill to notice the webs.  There's certainly enough detail to dwarves now to come up with some explanation for more detailed behavior around webs.

i was thinking that too, but then realized if you ended up against a wall of webs, or a narrow corridor with webbing in it, your dwarfs may not want to path through it, especially if they notice it and try to go around, but there isn't a way around.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:09 pm »

Depends on how long you leave worldgen going.  GCS can only live up to 30 years, and seem to keep to themselves.  Not sure how that actually affects population, but . . . I don't know, they seem to die out if I leave things running too long.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:42 pm »

Depends on how long you leave worldgen going.  GCS can only live up to 30 years, and seem to keep to themselves.  Not sure how that actually affects population, but . . . I don't know, they seem to die out if I leave things running too long.

Well I thought GCS were asexual, if they aren't they should be considering I've never seen a "hatchling GCS" or "baby GCS" or anything of the sort when playing in fortress or adventurer mode. Also I thought that GCS were just CS that lived for a extrondinary amount of time, but hey whatever floats toady's boat :p
Pages: [1] 2