Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A comic that I believe has some relavence to DF players.  (Read 2693 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A comic that I believe has some relavence to DF players.
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1857

Does Zach Weiner play DF?  Or at least know of it?

Dun,dun, dun, and all that rot, eh?

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A comic that I believe has some relavence to DF players.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:59 am »

Don't forget the red button mouse-over thing.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:58 am »

No, Zach just likes to use his little strawman arguments whenever religion comes up.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:20:30 am »

"God-blor" was in no way a strawman. Zach is just weird, is all.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06:32 am »

Someone should tell him about DF then.

No, Zach just likes to use his little strawman arguments whenever religion comes up.

Doesn't everyone?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:19:35 am »

A world where God isn't an extremely angry, short, bearded man with a chip on his shoulder and a sick sense of humor isn't a world I'd want to live in.  What would we sacrifice all the blood to without him?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:25:12 am »

I don't think it counts as a strawman argument, mainly because it's not attempting to argue any particular point. In order for there to be a strawman argument, the caricature of the opponent's position must not only be built up, but then deconstructed as if it were their actual position. Furthermore, if it were a strawman, it would be one against God, as He is the only character in the strip behaving unreasonably. Since God's positions, if existent, have not been unambiguously stated, they cannot be misrepresented; only people's personal understanding's of God's positions can be misrepresented, and that clearly isn't the intent of the comic. I don't think anyone believes in the "Happy-go-lucky, causing outrageous catastrophes for the hell of it" God depicted in the comic, and I don't think Weiner intended to trick anyone into thinking that was a popular interpretation.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:46 pm »

I think the issues of (***EXPLICIT! SUPER NOT SAFE FOR WORK WOOT WOOT WOOT***) Oglaf.com  (***EXPLICIT! SUPER NOT SAFE FOR WORK WOOT WOOT WOOT***) that had the crazy dwarves in them reminded me of DF.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:42:11 pm »

I don't think it counts as a strawman argument, mainly because it's not attempting to argue any particular point. In order for there to be a strawman argument, the caricature of the opponent's position must not only be built up, but then deconstructed as if it were their actual position. Furthermore, if it were a strawman, it would be one against God, as He is the only character in the strip behaving unreasonably. Since God's positions, if existent, have not been unambiguously stated, they cannot be misrepresented; only people's personal understanding's of God's positions can be misrepresented, and that clearly isn't the intent of the comic. I don't think anyone believes in the "Happy-go-lucky, causing outrageous catastrophes for the hell of it" God depicted in the comic, and I don't think Weiner intended to trick anyone into thinking that was a popular interpretation.

Asperger's strikes again 8)

But seriously, you're right
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »

I don't know about the author of that comic, but people still use the "if God is real/benevolent why does he let tsunamis happen" argument quite a bit in informal debate.  Just sayin'.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 01:18:36 pm »

I don't know about the author of that comic, but people still use the "if God is real/benevolent why does he let tsunamis happen" argument quite a bit in informal debate.  Just sayin'.
Out of genuine curiosity, what's the fallacy with that statement?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »

Better ask the person who used the term "straw man" in reference to those comics.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »

Out of genuine curiosity, what's the fallacy with that statement?

He didn't say it was a fallacy, he just said it comes up a lot.  The question to ask would be why people use it.

I will not state my own opinions here on the matter, though.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »

Asperger's strikes again 8)

Personally, I think having condition that makes one think too much about stuff is better than thinking too little about stuff...  :P

(Guess how much time I spend thinking about the details of the above sentences wording)
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »

Y'know, I tried reading that comic a while back...  Can't remember how many I read, something over a hundred.

Most of it was just...  Well, not funny.  I could see no comedic reason for those strips to exist.  Sometimes they were just bland, other times they were downright insulting to my sense of humor. 

But, once in a blue moon, there'd be one strip that was absolutely sodding genius.  Eventually, however, I decided that it just wasn't worth slogging through the rest of it...

And yes, the Oglaf dwarves did bring to mind a certain much-loved computer game.  Their contraptions seemed positively dwarven.
Pages: [1] 2