Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me test and improve these weapons please.  (Read 975 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Help me test and improve these weapons please.
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

I'm working on making two new weapons, the "AtlAtl" or spear thrower, and the sling.

The atl-atl, from my research should be similar in effect to the crossbow, while the sling should be very effective against armor.

The AtlAtl

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And ammo

The Sling
And Ammo

Currently, from my limited testing, the sling seems to be extremely weak, not even breaking bones on an unarmored target, and not even bruising an armored one. Also, I can't figure out how to require it to be made out of leather. The atlatl is a little bit better than the crossbow, which I'm not sure is right.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me test and improve these weapons please.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

The sling's bullets are very small, so they do little damage. Try improving the damage if you want them to be small.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

Attack momentum is used to determine damage. Therefore the multiplicative result of mass and velocity results in a strict measure of blunt damage. This damage is the damage that will be done by all weapons through layers. Edged weapons are simply better blunt weapons.

In order to get your sling to to damage you will need to have a larger rock and/or a far higher velocity. These are the factors you should compare, not whatever it is it used.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »

Attack momentum is used to determine damage. Therefore the multiplicative result of mass and velocity results in a strict measure of blunt damage. This damage is the damage that will be done by all weapons through layers. Edged weapons are simply better blunt weapons.

In order to get your sling to to damage you will need to have a larger rock and/or a far higher velocity. These are the factors you should compare, not whatever it is it used.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you're trying to say with that last sentence.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:38:17 pm »

Rysan is saying that a [SIZE:5] bullet will not do very much since it is so small. Earlier I suggested raising the damage of the actual bullet if you want it at that size. Even then, [SIZE:5] is still very small. Consider how big a crossbow bolt is in real life. In the game, it is [SIZE:150]. A bullet would probably be good at anywhere between [SIZE:50] and [SIZE:75].
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:44:04 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »

Basically, we think size 5 is about the size of a small piece of gravel.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:52:40 pm »

Well, I was shooting for about 8-10 ounces (sorry, I don't work well in grams), so if 5 is roughly gravel sized, then, it's much smaller than I want.