Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An attempt at an original species: Shamedgel!  (Read 1591 times)

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An attempt at an original species: Shamedgel!
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:11:01 pm »

Ok, ok, so I was extremely bored the other day and I tought about doing a new species for DF that wouldn't be based on any pre-existing fantasy creature. I then remembered about a creature I made on Spore a long time ago and decided to give it a shot.
It's not perfect yet; there is one small bug that I would like help correcting, but the creatures are fully functional and even have a (extremely, extremely basic) sprite set^^
I'll put their file info in the spoiler tags, so you guys can take a look and see if they interest you or not^^

So, they are called Shamedgels (...don't look at me, the Spore random name generator made that up :P) and are supposed to look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Their mouth is located on their chest. Females lack those claw things around the mandibules (that I called "forcipules" for lack of a better term :P).
They have acid blood; it causes some pretty serious necrosis on the victim.

Here's their creature entry:

The needed body parts and body detail plans:

Their entity entry is like this (they have completely different weapons, toys and musical instruments from the other races (not that they are REALLY that different, I just made them for some extra flavor :P)):

Here are the toys, intruments and weapons (new ammo included):

And their sprites (they are... quite ugly, but hey, at least I tried :P)

The only bug they have is that shirts seems to protect not only the upperbody and arms, but also the eyestalk (which is reasonable, I guess), the focipules, and the eye (which... is not as reasonable). I'd like to know if there's a way to prevent that.
Also, in the previous version, it was possible to make weapons do burning/cold damage. Is this still possible in this version? 'Cause I'd really prefer to give them some sort of plasma weapon instead of a needle gun :P
Ah, and, one last thing; is it possible to make the children have different body parts than the adults?

So... I guess that's all. Hope you guys like them, and thanks in advance for any help that you may give me^^
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:44:20 pm by Sagus »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt at an original species: Shamedgel!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »

So, they are called Shamedgels (...don't look at me, the Spore random name generator made that up :P)

The name fits the DF naming convention surprisingly well, though. Is that why you decided to put it in?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

I'm presently trying to make Cactaur - cactus-men with an exoskeletal gourd and gooey insides. So far, however, there has been trouble getting them to not melt at room temperature.

Good work on yours, however!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »

Creature modding: Its a mix between programming in prolog, and playing spore.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:03:31 pm »

The name fits the DF naming convention surprisingly well, though. Is that why you decided to put it in?
In part, yes^^
The other reason is because I really really suck at giving things names, and the name kinda got stuck in my head, so... :P

I'm presently trying to make Cactaur - cactus-men with an exoskeletal gourd and gooey insides. So far, however, there has been trouble getting them to not melt at room temperature.
Good work on yours, however!
Thank you^^
Good luck with you creature! Be sure to post it when it's ready^^

Creature modding: Its a mix between programming in prolog, and playing spore.
HA, never tought about that before!
It kind is, isn't it, with all the body part choosing and stuff :P