Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Post your dissatisfaction here  (Read 6926 times)

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your dissatisfaction here
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 04:25:12 am »

I don't think anyone has a right to be dissatisfied. It's not a game built for your satisfaction - not yet.

Critique is good. I'm a developer myself and if someone 'complains' about my work and explains why it doesn't work for him, that's valueable input. DF is an awesome game and Toady is god, but I'm quite sure that if someone explains his frustration with a certain aspect of the game, and it turns out that a lot of people have an issue with that aspect, it can give Toady a clear idea of what should be removed. It's in his best interest as well, although the game is 'free' he does more or less live off donations for this game. More happy customers = more money :)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 04:27:30 am »

Ah, but there is a difference between critiquing something reasonably, and going ARGH BLARGH THIS SUX DONT SELL IT I WANT BETTAR INTARFACE INSTED OF KOOL STUFFZ.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 06:03:00 am »

Ah, but there is a difference between critiquing something reasonably, and going ARGH BLARGH THIS SUX DONT SELL IT I WANT BETTAR INTARFACE INSTED OF KOOL STUFFZ.

Yup. And I think the main issue is that people have different definitions of "dissatisfaction". The guy who started the topic seemed he wanted reasonably critique, not venting.

And even then, I think even for people pissed off that they game crashed and just want to vent frustration that there should be a place on these forums. Ofcourse it's a free game, but that doesn't make spending a lot of time only to have a fort crash on you any less frustrating :)

MTJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 06:51:40 am »

GNNH, military is driving me crazy!

I love the game, but I hate it that I just spent 2 hours trying to get my military wear what I tell them to :) (I'm under the arsenal dorf limit, not possible to appoint one).

And bows/xbows are overpowered :P Had to wait for a caravan to come rescue me when I got my first ambush of 8 xbow goblins :P (I had only couple of iron pieces so far, and by savescumming I tried my military against them.... I got them about 6 steps over the moat before they bled to death, all legendary axedorfs with competent dodge and shieldusage)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:09 am »

And bows/xbows are overpowered :P

You might just be the only person to say that about ranged weapons in DF2010 ever. ;) Granted, the usual gripe is in people trying to get their dwarves to actually use the things...

What it seems to be related to is the materials system, which is currently rather... temperamental. As I understand it, armor seems to either work, or not, with no middle ground of "offers some protection but does not render you untouchable"(well, barring a hit to a place that isn't covered by it).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 08:54:35 am »

Well, armor certainly seems to make damage less damaging. Like if a blow would have severed your arm it merely severely bruises it or breaks it.

It could be that the combat's just so brutal you mistake a wound as a failure to stop the blow when in fact it would have been much, much worse had there been no armor at all.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 09:16:44 am »

What I was getting at was more that there seems to be an extremely sharp divide in survivability.

If you have armor that's better as armor than the material you're facing as a weapon, you will likely survive.

If not, you will very likely die.

This seems to be much less broad than it was in 40d from what I've been reading. Wooden bolts vs a goblin in iron have been reported at least once as being pretty much useless - and while crossbow bolts were ricocheting shards of death in 40d no matter what they were made of, this might be going a bit too far the other way, and still need balancing.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:51 am »

There's a glitch in the way the game handles piercing damage, apparently. The smaller surface area of the spearhead or arrowhead causes less damage and for some reason has less penetration value than the edge of a sword or axe. Which is odd.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 09:37:45 am »

This seems to be much less broad than it was in 40d from what I've been reading. Wooden bolts vs a goblin in iron have been reported at least once as being pretty much useless - and while crossbow bolts were ricocheting shards of death in 40d no matter what they were made of, this might be going a bit too far the other way, and still need balancing.

Richocheting shards of death at 10 shots per second.

Crossbows were basically portable .5 cal machineguns :D

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:40 am »

The thing that aggravates me the most is when people say this is a "free game" so don't expect anything.  There us a donation button on the main page to help support this game.  If you like this game enough to play it repeatedly you should be more than willing to help support its development.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »

i disallowed my fort to have any arsenal dwarf. made him require 999 dorfs. it didnt work out as when i got enough migrants the military stopped changing the equipments. so it didnt work out as i hoped. And i had some super military goin. all 4 of them that decided to pickup equipments. abandon/reload the arsenal dwarf/regenate the world. /facepalm.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

I am getting frustrated with military/equipment/combat bugs from time to time, but these were expected. I am very happy with this release in general, but can't wait for the worst bugs to be fixed to save some annoyances.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »

I am dissatisfied with the definition of alpha in regards to software. I think it should mean "totally awesome in every way with absolutely no bugs." All other software states should just add "more" in front of the "totally awesome" part.

tl;dr
ALPHA

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 02:02:53 pm »

I Am dissatisfied by the people who apparently seem to confuse:
"Alpha Version, unfinished, full of bugs"
with
"OMG! free game don't complain! How can you complain! just stop whining and suck it up!"

The point of an "Alpha" is to not just find bugs, but find those eliminates which detract detrimentally from game play and enjoyment.

In Dwarf 2.0, I was "satisfied" wit the game play.  It had well balanced eliminates, there were parts lacking and parts that needed work, but I was 'satisfied' with it.
In Dwarf 3.0, with the 'Alpha' release, I find quite a few eliminates that I am not satisfied with.

Does this mean I am demanding changes? Does this mean I think I am 'entitled' to the game being changed to suite my wishes? Of course not!  but this is an "Alpha" we are meant to test and Evaluate it... And if a large amount of us find something that detracts from the game, it should be noted and considered.

As other have said the Underground caverns, while new and interesting, are overly expansive and unmanageable. Yes, they can be changed by adjusting the settings.  But wouldn't one think it would be better for the presets to START with something more manageable, and for those that want more chaotic or Immense caverns that They can change the settings?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2010, 06:20:51 pm »

I realise the last post was yesterday, I was out so this may be a little late.

Of course the title makes it seem like we're complaining. But to be honest I don't care, it was meant to be grabby and to interest you in any way and it seems to work so i'm keeping it. My intentions were and are good. I love this game and I want it to continue to interest me as much as it does.

So if posting the stuff that makes the game suck and discussing what would make it better is complaining, then screw you. Your opinions are overly hostile and you need to lighten up. (being posted in original post too)

Now, rant aside.

Does anyone else think armour is a little /too/ specific. It works, but a hammer would still work again chain mail in real life (I realise what i'm saying is insane and it is a game we're talking about, be calm, but i'm assuming some semblance of realism is needed at some point) but in my experience it simply bounces off and bruises underneath. Is anyone else getting this?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4